Worship Bass
November 22, 2017, 10:31:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: battery on bass dies quickly  (Read 3447 times)
Tee

« on: January 28, 2011, 08:24:03 AM »

Hello Everyone,
I bought a dean edge 5 string bass a few months ago for church. This was my second bass moving up from a regular 4 string. I sounds really nice but I need to get a better amp to run it through. My main issue is that the 9v battery needs to be changed almost every week or so. I only play it for a few hours at church n when I go to play it again, the battery is dead. Do I need the battery or can I bypass it? Its annoying everytime I go to play I have to walk with a 9v battery just in case.
2bhumble (Dave)
Jamming For Jesus
Global Moderator

Saved by Grace

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 12:33:29 PM »

Battteries was the reason I always tended to stay away from active pups but then that is strickly a personal issue of my own.  Smiley

If you are using a recharable battery you need to always keep in mind that they do develope a memory of there own over a period of time. If a recharable battery is only used for a short period of time and then recharged, and this same process is a normal procedure repeated over and over the battery will develope a memory to that, and will get to a point to where it always has to be recharged after a short amount of use.

It could be that the battery is just going bad. Even rechargable batteries with proper use go bad after a period of time.

You might have a short of some type that is draining the battery. You might try disconecting the battery when not in use and then if the battery holds it charge I would suggest checking the electronics in the bass for some type of short.

Dave

No Jesus--No Peace
Know Jesus--Know Peace

Satan doesn't really care if you are a Christian,
as long as you don't act like one.
Tee

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 12:59:32 PM »

I'm not using a rechargeable battery, just a regular one all the time.  I did find a short on the connectors of the 9v so I'm going to replace it and maybe that wills love this issue. On another note is there any amp that you would recomend for this guitar?
2bhumble (Dave)
Jamming For Jesus
Global Moderator

Saved by Grace

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »

Well Tee, if there is indeed a short on your 9v connecter, my guess would be you have located the problem.

As for an amp, well, like all other pieces of musical gear it all comes down to personal preference.

With me, I have always liked Fender amps with the Bassman 150 being about my first choise. It is not real heavy to be moving it around, the kick-back cabinet makes it nice to be used as a monitor and it has some back bone to it for playing gigs in larger rooms.

If you don't have that kind of money to spend I would suggest looking at the Crate line of amps. I have used Crate amps and cabs and have had very good luck with them and I think they sound great.

The one amp I would suggest shying away from would be Benringer. (not sure if I spelled that right)

You might even check with Jong who owns this web site at jivesounds.com to see what he has in used amps. The nice thing about dealing with Jong is that you know you are getting a fair deal.

Dave 

No Jesus--No Peace
Know Jesus--Know Peace

Satan doesn't really care if you are a Christian,
as long as you don't act like one.
mainsail

Melt me, Mold me, fill me, Use me.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 02:13:36 PM »

Hi Tee,

Dave is right on the mark pertaining to your battery issue. And, indeed you may have found the problem.

Normally, there should be no drain on the battery unless a cable is plugged into your guitar. There will always be a trickle even when the preamp is not enabled. However, pramps have come a long way over the years and your battery should last fairly long under most conditions. (I have gotten a year or more with the batteries in my G&L basses. And that is leaving the bass hooked up for at least and hour and a half each Sunday morning. And with rehearsal time during the week.)

Let us know if you cured the problem.

As Dave said lots of choices in amps. I'm sure you will find something suitable for your needs. Smaller and lighter is the concern for me these days.   

Welcome aboard.

God never promised us second best.
Larry
Breitling

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 04:11:57 AM »

In all likelyhood you'll have already found the reason (the short in your connector) but just for everyone's general info I used to suffer from short-lived batteries in my Roscoe and found that the problem was a solder joint on the input jack "silvering" thru the protective wrapping around the jack plug area and shorting out on the copper insulation in the cavity.

Another wrap of insulating tape sorted the problem very quickly but it took me days to identify where the problem actually was.

Worth bearing in mind.

ACG Finn4; ACG Skelf 5; ACG Recurve 4; ACG Graft H5; Roscoe SKB3005; Schecter Stiletto Studio 4 fretless; Ric 4003BB; Warwick Fortress 1; Status Electro Mk1; Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub; KSD Proto-J with EBS preamp.  Lots of gear; One God.
Freakbassman

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 05:10:53 AM »

hello. I had that same problem and I've fixed it. First of all, use a good battery maker. Cheap batteries die sooner than your good ones. Duracell,Energizers and others will last longer. Also better active pickups don't drain the batteries as fast. I have EMG JP's on my precision and my battery is 2 years old. Finally, you can add a little micro switch to disconnect the battery from the preamp. This allows you to keep you bass plugged in and not having to unplug it every time you stop playing. Another thing you can do is keep your batteries in the fridge, not the freezer. The cold will slow down the chemical reaction going on in the battery just slow enough so it won't die quickly. If you can, take your pickguard off a find spot where you can cut it in 2 pieces that will allow you to access the battery quickly if you need to replace it. I carry a spare 9v with me all time. At home you can pick up a small meter at Radioshack, Walmart or some other store and check your batteries every once in awhile. I put green masking tape around the battery with the date on it when it was last checked.  You can still check it by putting your tongue across the terminals. If it zaps you it's working. Try these things. good luck.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: