Worship Bass
November 22, 2017, 10:28:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beginner wanting a bass  (Read 2684 times)
outnumbered

« on: March 26, 2011, 04:20:28 PM »

I'm a very new Bassest and have been using a friends bass. I am trying to decide what bass to buy. I have short fingers so would like something with a smaller neck and don't want to spend more than 7 or 8 hundred. I was looking at a new Fender Areodyne but haven't played one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Huh
mainsail

Melt me, Mold me, fill me, Use me.

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 09:19:05 PM »

Welcome aboard Outnumbered.

I'm not familiar with the Fender model you suggested.  However, if you have an opportunity to check out the G&L Tribute series, look into the L200 which has a very nice neck and might suit your hands just fine.

Or, the Fender Jazz  bass which has a nice narrow neck. There's lots of choices but either one of these can be had in your price range and possibly even cheaper.

God never promised us second best.
Larry
Child of God

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 05:40:15 AM »

Greetings Outnumbered!

Ya know, Ibanez really is a good bet.  They do most everything well.  They have very fast necks.  Quality is good.
Unless you have a very specific need, or require a certain look, they have something in every price range.

I gave my GSR 300 away after I got my Aria.  While it was a "cheap" instrument, I miss it.  It did what was needed for nearly everysong, and it played great.  But I know that another worshipper who needed it got, so I give the Lord thanks for allowing to help someone else give praise!

Let us know what you decide on ....

God Bless!

Carl

Whom have I in heaven but You?  And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm 73: 25&26 (NKJV)
outnumbered

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 04:25:15 PM »

Thank you for your thoughts. I will look at the ones you suggested
oldrookie

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 09:54:17 PM »

For a far more inexpensive option, but a fully capable bass, check out used Peavey Foundation basses.  Very slim fast necks.

For a more expensive option, check out the Peavey Cirrus basses.  Note, this does not mean the Cirrus BXP basses.  The standard Cirrus basses are made in the US and are really top quality.
Child of God

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 05:54:54 AM »

Wink  Yeah ... Peavey Foundation!  I have a 1984.  Wonderful bass.

Carl

Whom have I in heaven but You?  And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm 73: 25&26 (NKJV)
1954bassman

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 09:02:42 PM »

In the $600 to $700 range I would go with a used Korean made Lakland 55-01

Bass with Grace
Andrew Mifsud

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 01:07:07 PM »

I have small hands and short fingers. I've had a beginner's Fender, a Yamaha RBX370 an Ibanez Roadstar 2 5 string and lastly an Ibanez SR400.
Theres two models of SR400 and I have the one with 5 controls - pickup, volume and 3 tones. It was so good I found another second hand one to keep in the church. The SR range from Ibanez has a narrower neck than most basses so it is easy to play fast without having to stretch too far.  With short fingers, I do have to hold just one note at a time rather than whole chords like my firend does but it is the easiest bass I have ever played. A light action helps too. The tone controls actually do something and allow you to shape the sound the way you want. The SRs make all the other basses I've tried seem clumsy and hard, even the Roadstar 2 feels dull compared to the SRs.
(£1000 bass back in the 80's). Good luck.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: