Worship Bass
September 19, 2017, 04:40:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings From Fly-Over Country  (Read 2002 times)
Elsie8687

« on: June 02, 2011, 11:02:06 PM »

I frequent a number of bass forum sites and was happy to run across Worship Bass as faith-based music is my venue of choice.  Bass is my primary instrument, but I also play a little rhythm guitar and keyboard, and throw in some backup vocals occasionally.  I'm no great shakes at any of it, but I'm fortunate to play on two praise teams at my church where we focus on standard contemporary fare (no rock or post contemporary).  Actually, the instrumental mix is pretty much the same for both teams with different vocal packages.  Recently, I branched out to play with a gospel band that does southern gospel and bluegrass gospel stuff.  I must admit that it's a challenge getting my Fender J and Peavey Grind to sound less electric and as close to an upright bass as I can for the bluegrass stuff.  I may have to bite the bullet, and learn to play a doghouse bass.......but that would mean lugging the beast around.  Bottom line is that I love the Lord and love making joyful noises in His service.  I look forward to cruising Worship Bass and sharing ideas with others of like mind. 
2bhumble (Dave)
Jamming For Jesus
Global Moderator

Saved by Grace

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 07:03:02 AM »

Hello Elsie and welcome to Worship Bass.

Dave

No Jesus--No Peace
Know Jesus--Know Peace

Satan doesn't really care if you are a Christian,
as long as you don't act like one.
1954bassman

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 07:21:01 AM »

Welcome

I also play P&W and acoustic folk / bluegrassy. For the bluegrassy stuff. I play a fiver with TI Jazz flats. Works out really nice, and fits / blends with the acoustic sound. I have bought several uprights in the past, and the beast has just never been my cup of tea.

Mark

Bass with Grace
mainsail

Melt me, Mold me, fill me, Use me.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 02:10:45 PM »

Welcome aboard Elsie. Good show on doing the Southern gospel and Bluegrass. Don't get to do as much of that as I would like but it's a real joy when it happens.

God never promised us second best.
Larry
Elsie8687

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 03:32:34 PM »

I do appreciate all the warm welcomes.  Thanks.
tank

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 04:58:54 PM »

Welcomer Elsie!!
Sounds like there are quite a few of us that love to play Southern Gospel and Bluegrass for the Lord   Cheesy
I get my upright sound from a Fender Squier fretless vintage modified jazz bass and a Hartke A100 amp.  Works real well.  But.....I still wanna an upright!!!!!!! Wink

Tank

Walk by Faith
Elsie8687

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 10:19:50 PM »

It's taken me a while to respond.  Been out of pocket a lot this summer......apologies.  Anyway, I use my Fender American Vintage '75 J with D'Addario Chrome flats and a GK 210. I stuff some foam rubber under the strings by the bridge (as opposed to using the chrome bridge cover with the muting strip installed) along with some left and right hand muting techniques.  Not perfectly an upright sound, but it's pretty close.  Our banjo/dobro/harmonica player has a doghouse bass he keeps trying to get me to try.......learning to play it doesn't scare me, but toting that thing around does.  javascript:void(0);
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: