Worship Bass
November 18, 2017, 04:15:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how do like what your playing?  (Read 3495 times)
54bassman

« on: February 26, 2012, 03:04:34 PM »

As in your praise band at church.

I moved over to the bass chair at my church about two years ago after being the sound man for about two years. Apparantly, we do modern Contempoary Praise and Worship. Without naming bands or tunes, I've got to say most of the stuff we do is based around the 1 / 6 / 4 / 5 chords or some variation thereof. I play mostly whole notes, eights or quarters - every now and then a 'classic' rock dotted quarter feel. Most all of them are very repetative in nature, plus they are very similar in structure and beat.

Most of this "modern" worship - to me anyway - doesn't really have pretty chord progressions. Sometimes they sound like the writer just picked chords out of thin air, and forced them into a song. At times, it takes a while to determine what key the song is in (yes even with the 6 /5 / 4 / 1 chord variation). Then the bass part just plunks along on eighth notes. Not like Rocco, either.

I find myself prefering the Christian music stuff I do outside of church. I am in two outside projects right now, one Acoustic/Bluegrassy Gospel band and a CCM band. Our song selection consists not only of better songs, but songs that also have some Spiritual 'meat' to them.

Our church band is very good. Vocals could be better. And we gets lots of compliments. We run two services with about 800 total. I guess I feel like the music we are playing lacks substance.

Anybody feel my pain?

The older I get, the less I knew
Child of God

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »

Hi Mark,

Your description sounds like our P&W team.  Every once in awhile we do something a little more "musical," but generally the simple chord changes you described.  For the most part it works OK, as most of the congregation, not to mention the team, are not musicians (just hobbysts).  As for me, I've gotten to the point that I think I need to take a break for a while because musically - I get frustrated.  Even with the simple songs, no else seems to think the music is important, so it is poorly rehearsed and poorly performed.  The frustration I feel most of the time makes it really hard for me to worship.  So I think it may be better to let it go for a while.  Surely, I'll miss returning the talent that the Lord has gave me, but I think its the best solution for all involved.  I may end up running sound for a while. 

I have given it a lot of thought & prayer, and come to the conclusion, that doing the "simple stuff" is OK with me as long as its done well - the worship can be accomplished quite well - but when you're fighting just get everyone into tempo and guessing where the song is going next, well, worship becomes almost impossible (at least from my perspective).  In my opinion, its simply a lack of preparation.  Hopefully, at some point, our team can work all this out.  Again, personal reflection and prayer are in order.

Anyway, Glory to God for He is the Lord!

Carl

Whom have I in heaven but You?  And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm 73: 25&26 (NKJV)
mainsail

Melt me, Mold me, fill me, Use me.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 01:27:31 PM »

Over the past 20 years that I have been with the praise team, we have moved away (not totally) from the very simplistic praise material. Songs like “The Potter’s Hand”, “Find Us Faithful”, by Steve Greene, “He Who Has Begun A Good Work in You” and “order My Steps” (The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir is the hottest version IMO) have found their way into the mix. As we are doing a “Blended” service now since last summer, the more challenging pieces are a welcome change.

And, a lot of the newer material utilizes the five string bass more than before. Wonderful!

Some of the newer pieces push the choir’s and the praise team’s envelope and that is a good thing. So right now, I am pleased to do what I’m doing for Jesus’ sake.

God never promised us second best.
Larry
Child of God

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 07:05:10 AM »

Paul,

Praise God!  I love to hear that musicians of skill are putting forth that kind of effort to bring glory to the Lord!

God Bless!
Carl

Whom have I in heaven but You?  And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm 73: 25&26 (NKJV)
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 03:08:12 PM »

I feel your pain, 54.  The stuff they’re churning out these days is pretty generic.  You can pretty much predict where the chord progression is going the first time you hear it. And there seems to be no end to songs where the chorus and verses have the same identical chord progressions – really poor form, from a composition perspective.  Myself, I refuse to do that stupid “eighth-note plunking” thing unless I think it really works for the song, which is seldom!

The church we went to for 17 years folded a few years ago, and to be honest I’m not jumping to sign up for another P&W gig.  Most of the stuff these days is intolerably bland and unimaginative and the musicians have no sense of composition or ear for arrangement.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

54bassman

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 06:59:18 PM »

Hey Wayne, good to hear from you. Where you playing these days (its my thread, I'll hijack it) haha

The older I get, the less I knew
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: