Worship Bass
November 17, 2017, 11:06:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Technique and effects on this song?  (Read 2738 times)
Rob_U

« on: November 14, 2007, 09:07:53 PM »

The song in question is "Numb" by The Turning, the album name is "Learning to Lose". The bass line starts out with what sounds like it might be slapping, but also with some sort of low distortion that I've never been able to duplicate with a Boss Bass Distortion (when I've tried one out), or my MXR M80 Bass DI +Distortion. Anyone here know this track (or has access to it), and can tell me how he did it?

Thanks, Rob

dano

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:30:46 PM »

It sounds like it may be a SanSAMP by Tech 21. I can get something quite close to that with mine. It could also be an overdriven tube amp which would also give it that warm low-end distortion (not overblown overdriving, but close to the edge). Just my $0.02 worth.
Rob_U

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 11:21:51 PM »

The SansAmp was the only one I didn't get to try out when I bought my MXR. I liked the MXR because it has two channels (but only one EQ), and it was cheaper. I might have to try one out.

It might also be in the pickups he's using, mine are Bartolini MK1 soapbars, the bassplayer is using a Jazz Bass in one of the videos (I don't know about "Numb").

So, do you think he is slapping the whole time?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 11:25:50 PM by Rob_U » Logged

dano

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 06:26:51 AM »

It might also be in the pickups he's using, mine are Bartolini MK1 soapbars, the bassplayer is using a Jazz Bass in one of the videos (I don't know about "Numb").

That will certainly make a difference.

So, do you think he is slapping the whole time?

No. It sounded too fat and round in some areas for it to be all slap. Awesome tune! Thanks for turning me on to another great group.
Rob_U

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 07:52:25 AM »

Thanks for your help Dano,

It sounds like I have all the wrong gear!

It sounds like there is a Jazz Bass (or J-pickup bass) in my future (I just don't know how far in the future).

Unfortunately, when I was looking for a Overdrive/Distortion pedal, I couldn't find the SansAmp Bass locally, and no one had sound samples online. I took another look at Musician's Enemy Grin today, and they have finally added sound samples. I don't know what type of bass they used, but it sounds almost exactly right. I wish they had those samples up when I bought the MXR (it's a lot more fuzzy/gritty)!

At some point I'll have to put the MXR on eBay.

Rob

dano

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 05:21:56 PM »

Good luck Smiley Before you spend any more money I would play around with the EQ some more and see what magic you can work on this. I do that and sometimes I surprise myself  Cool
Rob_U

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 09:27:11 PM »

Don't worry, it'll be a while before I can do anything.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: