Worship Bass
September 19, 2017, 04:49:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you play bass any different when you don't have a drummer?  (Read 9718 times)
danders

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »

Interesting topic for me as we found out last week that our drummer 1. found a job (PTL!) and 2. is now working on Sundays.

Last week I found myself more conscious of each songs rhythm.  I've only been playing for a little over a year so I don't stray too far from basic chord roots anyway so mainly it was a concern over being all alone in the rhythm section. We have practice in a few minutes so I'm curious to see how it goes.  We might get another drummer to sit in while our main person tries to get his schedule changed.

We've had the off-tempo tambourine thing to deal with as well, although it's been some time ago and not while I've been trying to play. 
Scott

Yamaha TRB1005

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 07:24:22 AM »

We don't have a trap set, just a pair of congas. The guy that plays them is an ER doc and his rotation schedule takes him out of service quite often.

I really never know if he's going to be there each week and I'm not that comfortable trying to make last minute adjustments to different styles of playing from what I practiced, so I just play the same basic lines regardless if he's there or not. I hope to get more comfortable over time and be able to make up some of that rhythm space when he's not with us, but for now, I stick with what I know.

embellisher
Holy Ghost filled Bass Player

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 10:36:07 PM »

Praise the Lord, it looks like my church has a reliable drummer again. A guy who used to play, and then stopped coming due to no transportation and other reasons, finally has transportation and has the other reasons resolved.

Last Sunday was a real blast, having a solid drummer. I can't wait until the services today!
fretlessguy

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 08:50:06 PM »

Hmmmmmm....
In one group I play with there is no drummer. In the other group, since there is only 3 of us, and the singer doesn't play, I am the hand drummer (although I play bass on our recordings).
With the drummerless group I keep it simple and also concentrate on what the rhythm guitarist is doing. Every now and then I get brave and throw in a run, then quickly get back in the root 5 pattern (It's a southern Gospel group).

...and as you sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. Colossians 3:16B
Craigg

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 01:42:42 PM »

Depends on what other instruments are present.   Depending on the ensemble and the song, sometimes I'm forced to play more just so it doesn't leave everyone else feeling like someone pulled the rug out from under the song.

"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul." --Johann Sebastian Bach.

www.craigdouglasgephart.com
Tim

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 02:29:44 PM »

As I see it, the bassist is there mainly to bring out the rhythm of the song, so as long as that is happening, it shouldnt really matter if you play differently or not. I personly normally play without at drummer, so tend to stick to basic bass lines; which is definatley helping my sense of timing. When there is a drummer I tend to play slightly differently, maybe just because I've got the beat there already. I think that it's most important that the worship group can play off each other, especially the bass and drums.
mainsail

Melt me, Mold me, fill me, Use me.

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 03:09:58 PM »

This is where I am also.  When our drummer is away and we don't have anyone to play the available congas, our director prefers me to play a bit louder and firmer to fill the void.

Without a drummer, I tend to play more meat and potatoes ... nothing fancy, just trying to keep a beat and establish the slightest groove.   Maybe a little more percussive than normal.  Our guitarists tend to just strum (kind of folk guitar, Kum-Bay-Ah-ish), so without a drummer, I sort of have to establish the beat.

tony c

God never promised us second best.
Larry
oyobass

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 07:45:04 AM »

I play somewhat differently, but it is mainly a feel thing. I dig into 1 and 3 a bit more, and play on the beat.

I try and play what serves the song, so the groove may change to something different than the "drummerized" version.

I play primarily with two drummers- an aggressive "lead drummer" style guy, and a laid back, no aggression ever almost timid playing lady who has a great sense of dynamics that unfortunately ends before a medium volume. I find playing with her is much like playing w/o a drummer.

John 
_Wes
learning bass. . .

Fretless - JOY!

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 12:43:25 PM »

We just switched from electric drums to *real* drums - and what a difference.  The beat is very recognizable - even when the drummer isn't always sure of it. . . in which case I play more straight ahead - emaphsizing the beat.

Otherwise I try to fit in the groove of the song. . .

oyobass

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 02:54:29 PM »

We just switched from electric drums to *real* drums - and what a difference.  The beat is very recognizable - even when the drummer isn't always sure of it. . . in which case I play more straight ahead - emaphsizing the beat.

Otherwise I try to fit in the groove of the song. . .

We did that almost two years ago. Retired the less-than-a-year-old, nearly top-O-the-line Yamaha electronic kit for a real set with a Plexiglas shield around it. Much better sound and feel now.

John

EDIT: Followed your Strangeland link. Nice!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 03:05:08 PM by oyobass » Logged
jsutton414

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2008, 10:22:13 PM »

usually when im playing with a drummer i try to lock with their kick drum. without the kick drum to lock to, you have to just play really simple (only the chord changes or whole notes). Try listening to what the lead acoustic is doing with his strumming patterns and go off of that.
What a mess

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 02:53:27 AM »

Without a drummer, I tend to play more meat and potatoes ... nothing fancy, just trying to keep a beat and establish the slightest groove.   Maybe a little more percussive than normal.  Our guitarists tend to just strum (kind of folk guitar, Kum-Bay-Ah-ish), so without a drummer, I sort of have to establish the beat.

Anyone have trouble when there's no drummer, and someone in the congregation brings a monster sized tambourine, and is wayyyyyyy off tempo?  I can ignore just about everything around me, but a tambourine that's off track, well, I can't escape!

tony c

Been playing thirty four years and must say tambo-moron players ain't got no rythem and aare actually demonic beings sent to take innocent ADHD bass players and send them over the edge, further the only thing worse than the rythmicly challenged having one that is the rattle snake lady doing the ssssst ssssssst ssssssst ssssssssst thwap.  I still have a lady at church on the worship team that may forgive but won't forget that I would ask her not to do that in my ear while I was trying to learn a song,  she said I was trying to quench her spirit! Grin
cdaymude

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 10:16:49 AM »

Just play as clean and steady as I can.  We don't currently have a drummer so they lean on me to steady the bottom end which is a big challenge but I like it and so far have pulled it off to the church's liking from what I can tell.

Would love to have a drummer though, our songs would be that much better I think.
Elsie8687

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 07:48:04 PM »

With my praise teams at church, the drummer and I play off each other and keep the group moving on, we don't use a drummer with my gospel/bluegrass band, and I'm providing the foundation pretty much by myself.  At rehearsal the other night, after we finished a first run-through on a new song, one of the guys asked if anyone else felt like we were bogging down on tempo during the last half of the song.  I immediately raised my hand and said, "My bad." It wasn't that the bass line was difficult, but I was working on some backup vocal harmony from scratch, and I found out that chewing gum and walking at the same time is not always a joke.  I was concentrating so hard on the vocal, I guess I lost track of my bass responsibility and, in fact, did slow down a little.........must be a left/right brain thing, or something.  Couple of points to be made:  Point 1) If I'm learning new vocals, I learn them first, then add my bass (usually only takes one or two vocal-only run throughs); Point 2) Yeah, folks, we (bass players) matter!  With no drummer to lock in with, it's all ours.....where we go, the band goes.   
mainsail

Melt me, Mold me, fill me, Use me.

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 08:05:45 PM »

When we don’t have our drummer, our WL likes me to play a bit more percussively, (if that’s a word). I jusrt add a bit more punch to my settings and that works pretty wel.. However, as our drummer is a young man, who plays several instruments, (drums isn’t his main) on some medium paced material which requires a definite steady rhythm, like “Everlasting God”, he strays and I have to concentrate on keeping things on track.  I prefer him to come to me rather than me go to him. It’s a very interesting push and pull at these times.

God never promised us second best.
Larry
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: