Worship Bass
September 19, 2017, 04:48:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your strong points when playing the bass.  (Read 8303 times)
fretlessguy

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 11:48:19 AM »

I am always on time (really getting away from a noisey house). Wink
I always study the music beforehand (I am a terrible sight reader). Undecided
I tend to not over play (It's really because I cannot play very fast and cannot solo or slap well).  Cheesy
I get along well with the other players (I am too small to win a fight fairly. Besides, they outnumber me).  Angry
I have good timing and help to keep things together (If the drummer leaves I am sunk).  Roll Eyes
I rarely get off track (It's a good thing I play guitar so I can watch what the chords the guitarist is playing).  Embarrassed

As much as I enjoy playing (I really am not all that talented), the real reason is because I am trying to glorify and worship Him through it.
 Smiley

Doug

...and as you sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. Colossians 3:16B
Craigg

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 12:45:34 PM »

Rhythm, strong ear, adaptability, sensitivity, ability to improvise, confidence, and humility (no, I'm not trying to brag, but my humility as a player is something people often comment on --- I realize all I am and do is a gift from God anyhow).

"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul." --Johann Sebastian Bach.

www.craigdouglasgephart.com
al.winans

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 10:34:07 AM »

I guess my ear and the ability to learn very quickly.  The ear is a gift, the ability to learn and memorize quickly is from years of working at it.  The strongest point in my playing is just listening and trying to be musical.  Keeping it about the music. 

Serving the Lord doing the thing I love and have the most passion about is such a wonderful blessing from God.  I still think that the real servers are the ones watching the little kids in the nursery, greeting, parking lot duty and stuff like that.  Those people keep me very humble!

Al

Tim

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 10:39:10 AM »

Having a good time and getting into the worship! I guess also being able to lay down a Rhythm that other plays can play off.
basseddie

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 05:22:19 PM »

my strong point is that I own a bass and amp....
my weak point is when I pick it up to play..... Shocked Grin

ed

VIII. “Those who figure they will play bass because it has two fewer strings than a guitar and is therefore easier to learn should probably just hold cases that hold guitars and basses.”

A mediocre musician is always at their best....

23rd Psalms...
The Lord is my Sheppard, I shall not want..
Swamp Ash

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 11:14:19 AM »

With 38 years experience playing bass, I play with confidence
and authority (even when I am wrong  Huh).  I can drive the band,
either with or without a drummer.
mikemedley

Matthew 12:30

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2008, 11:15:14 PM »

The Lord has given me two things that are of great benefit to me as a bassist - a tuner and a metronome in my head.  ***This is a brag on and praise of the Lord, not on me - I just get to use the gifts given. Cheesy*** There are times that I have had to hold back the drummer (especially in fills...) and keep the song in tempo control or adjust when the person leading from guitar has inadvertently put the capo on the wrong fret and the song is now in a new, unexpected key.  I am also have skill, sensitivity, confidence, flexibility of styles, understanding of the concept of "100%* sound and my portion of it, an awareness of how the Worship Pastor is being led by the Spirit  (i.e., he is confident enough in me to follow if he should decide to switch songs into something not on the list), and the ability to engage my Savior in worship with whatever instrument happens to be in my hand at the moment so that I might take others with me (I frequently play with my eyes closed just so that I can engage the moment).

Mike Medley
Just me serving the Lord through music...
What a mess

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 03:01:43 AM »

In key on time don't try to play every thing I have on every song, sneak in a great run once and awhile just to make em grin.  Huge low that makes you feel all warm inside, play most on the fly unless really complex, play many styles transpose to new keys w/o hassle keep the young inexperianced drummers straight get along well with others fix the sound system & the others gear show a new way to play and old song played for years hear a secular song in there get it redeemed and blended throught the worship tune which makes  the church go wild.  I stay focused & don't diddle while others are trying to learn, play with dynamics (louder softer) without losing time.

I will not let you talk bad about the leader didn't run off with the keyboard player (cliche) can get funky if given the chance other than metal or punk can pretty well cover it love to tune twist (change it up make it evolve) want to play the reggae version of that?

Whine when they want to try to cover a tune we can't play the same week as learning it so we don't look stupid.

Loyal level headed will let others play and learn bass not my spot only good on short notice. Will play for God not for me.

Come  prepared if I have the material wont leave the parking lot till the ladies are out and on thier way.  I don't mac on those ladies will not stand by while others do. ( or the guys for that matter what a strange world)

Just as happy on the lawn mower cutting Jesus's grass as on the worship team, will pick up litter in the parking lot, won't drop litter in the parking lot.  Talk to people that are not on the worship team.

Instant in season and out could share my testamony teach or preach with or without notice (wouldn't be the first time).

Understand the worship team is just a bridge that folks walk across to get to their destination brushing up against God.
CRBMoA

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 12:56:05 PM »

I can play just about anything on the fly. Tell me what key we're in and I'll pick up on the rest. Everybody hates me too. I make the guitarists so mad since I don't use music or charts in front of me. Grin

Ditto. They actually get annoyed with me reminding the rest of the team that there are only 12 notes. That's usually about the time I get asked to cover the acoustic for a set and get reminded to be more humble.

Beyond that, my role in recent years has evolved into encouraging the other musicians to grow, and teaching the team that there is a big difference between playing the part the way we did it last week, or the way we learned it, and truly being an ensemble player and interacting with what the WL, the other musicians, and most importantly what the Spirit is doing in the room.

Oh - Let's not forget comic relief. AND humility; I ROCK at being humble
Wink Wink

2 Cor 10:5
capnsandwich
I'm probably a better bassist than you.

future "world's best bassist"

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 05:35:54 AM »

I can play just about anything on the fly. Tell me what key we're in and I'll pick up on the rest. Everybody hates me too. I make the guitarists so mad since I don't use music or charts in front of me. Grin

Ditto. They actually get annoyed with me reminding the rest of the team that there are only 12 notes. That's usually about the time I get asked to cover the acoustic for a set and get reminded to be more humble.

Beyond that, my role in recent years has evolved into encouraging the other musicians to grow, and teaching the team that there is a big difference between playing the part the way we did it last week, or the way we learned it, and truly being an ensemble player and interacting with what the WL, the other musicians, and most importantly what the Spirit is doing in the room.

Oh - Let's not forget comic relief. AND humility; I ROCK at being humble
Wink Wink

Awesome. Glad I'm not the only one who rocks at being humble!!! Grin

CRBMoA

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 09:05:12 AM »

Cap'n,

I know I am crossing threads, but I just wanted to say I checked out your tracks, sans vocals.

1. Was that recorded with the Valenti?

2. Where are you gonna find a singer big enough to pull that off?!??!

That was some of the best indy bed tracks I have heard in a long time.

Keep it up, my brother!

capnsandwich

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 11:15:52 AM »

Cap'n,

I know I am crossing threads, but I just wanted to say I checked out your tracks, sans vocals.

1. Was that recorded with the Valenti?

2. Where are you gonna find a singer big enough to pull that off?!??!

That was some of the best indy bed tracks I have heard in a long time.

Keep it up, my brother!

Hey, thanks man. Some of it was my Valenti and some was my old Tobias. I'm actually in 3 bands now so all the newer stuff with Soul Atoma and Bridge Construction, my other 2 bands, are with the Valenti.

To answer your question about a singer, we've actually found a singer that sounds almost identical to Steve Perry of Journey. I know, hard to believe but we did. We still don't have any recordings up on our myspace page but they are in the works, I promise.

CRBMoA

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 12:03:26 PM »

C'mon, you know the rules................No Pics, no recordings......No Singer!   Wink Wink

monyonk89

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 07:11:28 AM »

mmm.. God blessed me with a pair of good ears and a good memory. so if i listen to a particular song, I can identify the chords and the basslines pretty quick and those will definitely stuck in my head for a long time. Praise God for that Grin
I always sing along except while doing some riffs. I'm excellent at cleaning the bass, and definitely love to make it sleek and shiny even though it's the church bass and I don't have one Cheesy .. yet!!
capnsandwich

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2009, 07:49:04 AM »

C'mon, you know the rules................No Pics, no recordings......No Singer!   Wink Wink

I'm going to have to get on that. I don't think there are any pics of him at all.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: