Worship Bass
November 18, 2017, 04:20:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sharing the Position  (Read 5764 times)
2bhumble (Dave)
Jamming For Jesus
Global Moderator

Saved by Grace

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 08:24:10 PM »

embellisher and Brim. Congrats on becoming a full member.  Grin

No Jesus--No Peace
Know Jesus--Know Peace

Satan doesn't really care if you are a Christian,
as long as you don't act like one.
Craigg

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 01:51:39 PM »

I have opportunities to play outside of my church so I don't mind if others take the driver's seat at my church.  I'm not particularly territorial when it comes to playing bass.  I'm available if and when needed but I don't take offense when someone else plays - which does happen regularly at my church.  As a matter of fact, I welcome opportunities for others who may be gifted/interested in playing bass.   As one who also has worked as a worship team leader enabling others to develop in their respective ministries is exciting and satisfying.

"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul." --Johann Sebastian Bach.

www.craigdouglasgephart.com
_Wes
learning bass. . .

Fretless - JOY!

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 12:54:03 PM »

I'm part time military - so there are times I cannot be there due to work.

I'm the 2nd bassist - and that's okay with me.  we have 2 worship teams -  and the other bassist and I have 2 different playing styles - that fit great in our band(s).   He plays lots of funk & slap.  I play fretless - so you can always tell who's on bass. Smiley 

He's a monster - and I love watching him play. . . he's a mad genius! 

I'm very happy I get to play - and those 1 - 2 times a month I'm worshipping on stage instead of in the congregation - I just praise God. 

Give it to God. . .let Him direct - and make sure you are listening!

Lots of good suggestions here in the thread. . .

What a mess

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 05:50:18 PM »

Same church for ten years started as the substitute then moved to 1st chair for about three years.  Then another fellow wanted to play and I made room he was a beginner and would lay all the way out if he wasn't feeling it, I would be on the FOH, another bass player came along, in time the teams multiplied we wound up with three teams I was in rotation board, bass off.  I played on all three teams at different times.  Southern rock recycled hippie Alman Bros-ish, folkish coffie house, and I was the flake of salt in the sea of pepper funk jazz r & b man was that the coolest gig ever.  They then went to tracks and no bands just vocalists.  The musicians scatered like roaches when the lights come on.  I watched as people I had grown close to (I thought) left.  Other than the other bass player and the pastors wife the musicians are all gone.  They started the band back and I was not invited.  They did however call me every time the sound was screwed up another guy got added also new inexperianced that will also lay out if he ain't feeling it.  I had been asked why I didn't leave and I stand on the fact I didn't go there to play bass.  The fact that I have more time in grade means nothing.  So does the fact I am a way better bass player faithful etc...  If the leader is there because God put them in authority it is thier call period.  Even if with every bit of mans logic wisdom and protocal it doesn't seem right it doesn't matter in the least.  Was it hard as heck, yes!  Did I want to thow my sucker in the dirt, yes!!  Did I trust God in the mean time and love and worship and grow, yes!!!  Even without a bass guitar in my hands.  I became a C & E (Christmas & Easter) bass player I could have called it an insult.  But I was so vain I thought it was a compliment.  I teased the new worship leader about the C&E thing and I am back in roatation today was my second Sunday in a month and it wasn't even a holiday pretty cool huh?  They needed time for new musicians and leaders to work and develope into what they could be.  With my stronger personality (or lack of one) it was essential that I be out of the way.  God bless you if you don't get what you want when you want it is the best thing that could happen it brings charecter if you let it. 

Just my 02 worth it don't mean I'm right but if you give it a little time you might see God's hand and plan for you & the other bass player & your church family.

It ain't a talent show.

It ain't a competition.

Seniority means zero.

Your feelings either.

The worship team is a bridge that people get to walk across to brush up against God.

It is like a gentalman that puts his raincoat over a puddle so that a person can cross without getting thier feet dirty.

If it is just a gig pick a new gig.  If it is something God is calling you to do then He should be able to make up the rules His way.       
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:22:40 AM by What a mess » Logged
imacman9

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 03:15:09 PM »

Fast forward six months, I walk in on a Sunday morning, and the guy who hasn't been to church in six months is sitting on the platform, holding the bass. Me being a non confrontational guy, I put up with it. He continued to show up on occasion, and when he did, he would get there early and get on the bass.

Are you serious?!  Angry  You mean to tell me there was no schedule for who was playing that Sunday? First come first serve? If i was in your position I would have asked him what he thought he was doing, and I would have talked to worship leader or whoever was in charge and got some clarity as of why he was up there.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: