Worship Bass
September 23, 2017, 07:25:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Long neck vs short neck basses . . . what's the difference?  (Read 23258 times)
dano

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »

That will be such a beautiful bass. I hope you will be able to post clips later.
Mean Bone

Truth is not relative.

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2008, 08:34:41 PM »

It's undergoing final assembly.  Hopefully, will be here the week after Christmas.

Here's a picture of C-144 and some kinfolk.  Nice looking family!

It's the first one on the left.

Yeah . . . I'm stoked!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 08:38:02 PM by Mean Bone » Logged

MB
If there is no creator, there are no inalienable rights.

Birdsong C-144 . . . the wait is torture!
rfclef
Bassist Ordinaire

What doesn't kill you will learn from its errors..

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2008, 09:59:53 PM »

It's undergoing final assembly.  Hopefully, will be here the week after Christmas.

Here's a picture of C-144 and some kinfolk.  Nice looking family!

It's the first one on the left.

Yeah . . . I'm stoked!
Nowhere near as stoked as when you get it...  Trust me..  I have gone back n forth about whether or not to pack 8C-117 with me to Texas tomorrow... I went and got a flight case, then was gonna chicken out and take a cheapo with me.  Well, as I pack tonight, I find the cheapowont fit cause the Tune-o-matic style bridge makes it a little too tall.  So 8c-117 is all packed and ready to go...  Keep it in prayer, lol.  (my kids' devotional tonight was about the rich man who loved his stuff and tore down his barns to build bigger ones... I hope that is not a sign about how much I like the Birdsong...)

Bobby
My other Bass is a Tuba...
Bassist for "Cry of Stones"
www.myspace.com/cryofstones

Basses do not "gently weep"... they will rattle the walls, lay the foundation, soothe the body and the mind, or bellow in fury as they strike you down with a bat'leth, but they do not "gently weep"...
Mean Bone

Truth is not relative.

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2008, 08:17:38 AM »

Traveling mercies, bro!

MB
If there is no creator, there are no inalienable rights.

Birdsong C-144 . . . the wait is torture!
rfclef
Bassist Ordinaire

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2008, 03:26:36 PM »

Traveling mercies, bro!
Thanks. After doing the whole check in thing, security, got to the gate, flight got cancelled Saturday... Southwest had 3 de-icer trucks break down.  Then had to go to baggage claim, get all the baggage, go back to the parking lot, bay the 8 dollar parking fee... All the fun of a plane flight without actually getting to go anywhere.  Rescheduled for yesterday. spent the night in a hotel.  Got up yesterday and could not get the car out of the hotel lot, broke a chain...  flight cancelled.  Stayed at the hotel 2nd night, flight rescheduled for the 24th.  Fixed the chain last night, first thing this morning, chained up, loaded up, got a push outta the lot.  Made a slow trip back home, so we are at home, hoping to fly out Wednesday, but not holding the breath...  MAy or may not make to Mom & Dad's for Christmas... Keep us in prayer...

Bobby

Basses do not "gently weep"... they will rattle the walls, lay the foundation, soothe the body and the mind, or bellow in fury as they strike you down with a bat'leth, but they do not "gently weep"...
jackthejesusfreak

He Did This For You

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2009, 05:06:52 PM »

I have been playing 6 string guitars for 44 years.  I was asked to try bass for our new church praise band.  The bass I borrowed to see if it was something I could do, was a full scale bass.  I have small hands and short arms and it was very uncomfortable for me.  I decided to accept the challenge and went out and bought the short scale bass that Ibanez makes, the Mikro, which is actually 28 and a half inches.  I liked it so much, I bought their newest short scale the ARTB100 which is 30" and just recently purchased a viola bass from the Rondo music site which is 30".  I won't play anything but a short scale. 

Bass Guitars:
1. Rickenbacker 4004Cii
2. Rickenbacker 4004L
3. Peavey Fury IV
Bass Amps:
2-GK MB115
Trace Elliot Commando 12

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2009, 06:44:59 PM »

I won't play anything but a short scale. 

All my basses are shorties, and I love em...  I may get a full scale in the future just for when I teach (I am a band teacher) but as far as my own gigging, all shorties... I'll put my Birdsong up against any full scale bass...

Bobby

Andrew Mifsud

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2011, 03:57:13 AM »

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have played in a church band. My daughter started learning to play bass so we bought her an Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro.
The only catch was that it was very difficult to tune- the intonation was completely wrong. By the time you were half way up the frets , it was about 1-1 1/2 tones out. I adjusted as far as I could which made it better but it still wasn't enough. I ended up having to drill new holes for the bridge which lengthened the strings about 1 cm ( 3/8"). That allowed enough adjustment to  get the intonation about right. Has anyone else had this problem or did I just get a bad one? Roll Eyes Shocked  Shocked
mainsail

Melt me, Mold me, fill me, Use me.

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2011, 10:43:14 AM »

Welcome Andrew.  I haven’t had the problem. However, I have had a lot of discussion about tuning and intonation over the years. I recently came across some articles that help put things in perspective for me.

It sounds like you probably made the guitar more tunable with the strings. Not a bad thing.

Here is a link that might be fun and helpful.

http://www.doolinguitars.com/intonation/intonation1.html

God never promised us second best.
Larry
Andrew Mifsud

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2011, 01:08:50 PM »

Wow. Thanks Mainsail. Thats probably far more info than I needed though!  I'lll read it again slowly and see if I understand it......... LOL. Thanks.
mainsail

Melt me, Mold me, fill me, Use me.

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2011, 02:05:16 PM »

Yep, it's a lot of info. As I am blind And use a screen reader for my computer, I had to be very patient to wade through all the material. However, I went through all 8 articles. Very academic in spots but worth the read. The first 2 articles are probably the gist of all the rest.

Mike Doolin, who wrote the material, also did a little video to demonstrate some of his points.

Hope the info helps.

God never promised us second best.
Larry
Freakbassman

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2011, 05:48:48 AM »

Hello. When it comes to short, regular and long neck basses you will always have good and bad basses. Check them out for all the string vibrations.Leo Fender was not the first maker of basses. His 6 string bass was a combination of a Strat and Jaguar guitars. The Fender V1 had small gauge strings on it, thicker than a regular guitar. Danelectro made a 6 string bass guitar back in 57", the Ub-40, and it had thicker strings on it. John Entwistle of the WHO used a 35" scale on  his Buzzard basses. He would walk into James Hows store( maker of Rotosound Strings) and try different gauges on his bass. Sometimes all. 125 or 105 strings don't vibrate the same. Their internal core metals don't always work the same. James How went to various core shapes to get better vibrating strings.  I usually buy a couple of sets at a time and check out how they vibrate when played open. If I don't like it , I take them back and exchange them until I get a set that rings better. Mind you  I know my bases were set up by a good techie first. I get mine checked every year. Make sure your bass feels good in your hands and you get the sound you like with your amp.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: