Worship Bass
September 24, 2017, 12:24:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anybody use overdrive o distortion?  (Read 15887 times)
pedroims

« on: April 24, 2008, 04:32:20 PM »

I found myself adding an overdrive to my pedal board,  the distortion I am getting is quite soft ,  just enough to make some songs little spicy  Grin

Is anybody here that use an overdrive or other effect rather than chorus?

So far here is my pedal board.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 05:05:14 PM by pedroims » Logged
Rob_U

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 04:42:09 PM »

I used to use a MXR Bass D.I. +, but I found it's distortion to be too fuzzy. I'm looking for that deep, low end growl that comes from barely overdriving a BASS tube amp. Unfortunately most of the manufacturers are just using guitar distortion with extended bass range, in their Bass Distortion pedals. I do have hopes for the Sansamp Bass VT, whenever they decide to ship it I want to give it a try.
The Carvin Bass Amp that belongs to the church actually sounds just right (it has a tube in the preamp). It would be cool to get a pedal that sounds like that, and set the amp smoother for the slow songs.

pedroims

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 05:02:27 PM »

the carl martin hot drive'n boost I am currently using give me that " tube '' overdrive and it doesnt affect the tone of my bass,  you can not use this pedal for metal music since the distortion is not that kind of aggresive but I found it perfect for my taste in praise music. I read in the manual that Carl Martin has a new boost and drive pedal specific designed for bass that supposed to provide a warm tune, I am sure this pedal is a beauty but I just can not find it in the US. I hope I can give a try soon.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 05:04:08 PM by pedroims » Logged
rfclef
Bassist Ordinaire

What doesn't kill you will learn from its errors..

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 07:19:23 PM »

I got a Behringer Bass Chorus first.  Added a Big Muff because I have heard a lot of bassists that use it.  But when I use it I felt like the lows disappeared.  I picked up a Behringer Bass Overdrive.  I know Behringer is despised by many, but dang if it don't sound good!  Lotsa bottom end!  I thought I would sell the Big Muff, but one of the songs my band plays, the guitar player likes the little bit thinner sound, so I will keep it. 

Bobby
My other Bass is a Tuba...
Bassist for "Cry of Stones"
www.myspace.com/cryofstones

Basses do not "gently weep"... they will rattle the walls, lay the foundation, soothe the body and the mind, or bellow in fury as they strike you down with a bat'leth, but they do not "gently weep"...
2bhumble (Dave)
Jamming For Jesus
Global Moderator

Saved by Grace

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 08:29:52 PM »

I have an effects pedal I always take with me. I will use the overdrive once in a great while and sometimes I will add a touch of chorus. It has a preset in it that is suppost to recreate that Motown sound of the 60's. I love to use that on the slower songs, mostly because of the awesome sustain I get from that preset.

And rfclef, you are correct about Behringer being despised by many. But over the past couple of years they have corrected alot of the problems they were having with there equipment. I dont think I would want a Behringer amp if I was doing some serious gigging.  Cheesy

But there effect pedals work really well and most of them are about $30. They are very desent pedals for the money. If you do happen to bust one it is cheap enough to buy another one.

No Jesus--No Peace
Know Jesus--Know Peace

Satan doesn't really care if you are a Christian,
as long as you don't act like one.
brianmharrison

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 06:02:25 AM »

I have a distortion channel on my amp...not a great sounding distortion. I've used it a couple of times for some heavier songs. I find my octave effect more useful in worship music.
-b
pedroims

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 07:48:51 AM »

an octave sounds interesting,  I have never used one before, which one you are using now?  Probably I  should give it a try
Rob_U

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 07:54:20 AM »

Boss makes an octave pedal with an overdrive option. It has inputs for both Bass and Guitar.

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=608&ParentId=94

brianmharrison

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 08:26:11 AM »

an octave sounds interesting,  I have never used one before, which one you are using now?  Probably I  should give it a try

I actually use the one on my amp head...an ampeg b5r. As Rob mentioned Boss makes one. I've never tried it though
tony c
I drive the bus ...

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 05:16:36 PM »

Someone gave me a multi effects pedal, but I found it way too noisy.

If I could find a chorus pedal and an octaver that were really quiet, I'd consider giving them a try.

tony c

www.myspace.com/beggarsandprophets

Carvin LB76
SX "Vintage" PJ
Eden CXC110
Eden D112XLT
rfclef
Bassist Ordinaire

What doesn't kill you will learn from its errors..

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 07:16:35 PM »

Someone gave me a multi effects pedal, but I found it way too noisy.

If I could find a chorus pedal and an octaver that were really quiet, I'd consider giving them a try.

tony c

I had a multi-effects pedal... it had good neato sounds, but was too much of a hassle going from one sound to another with too many things going on.  Plus, when I was NOT using the effects, it sucked the sound outta the signal.  I traded it for my Big Muff, and don't regret.  I think single effects are the way to go.

Bobby
My other Bass is a Tuba...
Bassist for "Cry of Stones"
www.myspace.com/cryofstones

Basses do not "gently weep"... they will rattle the walls, lay the foundation, soothe the body and the mind, or bellow in fury as they strike you down with a bat'leth, but they do not "gently weep"...
pedroims

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 07:25:54 PM »

same happend to me with a boss chorus ,it was so noisy all I got from  it was a terrible hum,  I tought that effects are just not for me because it but  I did some research and found the carl martin, what a pedal, the only sound you can hear is from your bass and the chorus, the problem is that it is a little expensive but worth it, at least for me, because that experience I gave a try to the overdrive , same, just quiet not hiss not hum at all.  I believe there should be more high quality pedals around ( not necessary expensive) so far my experience is reduced to boss and carl. I also tried a multi effect that was not noisy but was too complicated also I found most of the effect useless,  but it helped me to realize what effects I really need, ( chorus,  overdrive and compressor). I prefer single effects.
Rob_U

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 09:10:13 PM »

+1 on the single effects. I used to have an older Peavey rack mount multi for Guitar, and a Boss ME50b for bass. Multi's are never deep enough, they are noisy, and they're hard to get the sound you want without writing patches - or in the case of the ME50b - the right effect is never switched on.

For my Guitar, I have 13 pedals with almost no signal loss, and I can go from rhythm, to lead, add echo - whatever I want on the fly (and the noise gate really works).

With my Bass, I don't need much, just a chorus and a tuner are all that I use on a regular basis, the Limiter was needed with my active bass to control the E string, but I don't use it with my Jazz Bass, and the EQ pedal I just use as a volume attenuater these days. But I as I said, I do want to try the Sansamp Bass VT when it comes out.

embellisher
Holy Ghost filled Bass Player

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 12:26:14 AM »

I use a DOD 250 overdrive pedal. Mostly for a clean boost for my Nordstrand, which has a bit lower output than my other basses. I also use it occasionally for overdrive, and it works pretty well.

I also have an HAO Rust Ride, which is supposed to be a bass overdrive pedal, but it sounds more like distortion to me. I used it a ton back when I was in a Christian rock band, but at church, I only use it with my 12 string at an occasional youth service.
dano

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 07:45:20 AM »

I have distortion programmed into the 3rd channel on my SansAMP PBDDI for the occasional song, but that is about it.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: