Worship Bass
September 19, 2017, 04:48:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anybody use overdrive o distortion?  (Read 15870 times)
embellisher
Holy Ghost filled Bass Player

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 09:28:06 AM »

I also agree with everyone talking about single effects vs. multieffects units. Good quality, single analog pedals work much better than multi units IME. Quieter, more musical, and easier to use.
Corey

My Band Replica (hisreplica.com)

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 10:24:45 AM »

My Asdown amp has an octive switch-I dont use it much because I play a 5er. But most of the time I play through my Line 6 X3 Live-sounds great, and all the effects I'll ever want. And its dead quiet. Also has multiple outputs to match any situation.

See my bass build at dreamsofluthierie.blogspot.com
myspace.com/corey_reddell
JohnH

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 05:29:06 PM »

I use a Zoom B2.1u every week.  Really only use two models and the tuner on a regular bassist (little pun there;)) but am looking to experiment more with the chorus - which is one of the reasons I bought it - that and it would act as a DI.  I love some of the cabinet models but - my wife doesn't hear any difference when I change models.  I think it's just because I'm not loud enough  in the PA and the PA probably couldn't handle it anyway.

I'm thinking about a SansAmp Tech 21 but, likely will wait for the three channel version and now I need to go compare it to the  VT Bass mentioned above.  I need to spend more time in Sam Ash and Guitar Center. Wink

"God hears the song in your heart."
"Yeah.  But we have to hear you play."
Why Skill Really Does Matter - Ken Boer and Pat Sczebel
Rob_U

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 09:30:29 PM »

I just found this MXR. They call it a Fuzz, and the sample sounds metal, but I'd like to try it with the fuzz backed off - it has quite a bit of growl to it, if it could be tamed, and very little treble buzz. It also has an adjustable bass boost on it. But I would diefinately have to play with it first

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=377&pmh=products/p_and_e_detail

1954bassman

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 03:49:16 PM »

I find the Sansamp PBDDI works very well - I occasionaly use just a touch, but there is plenty to be had.

Bass with Grace
Eddy

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 07:59:05 AM »

Yes.

I used it a lot at our recent Youth retreat.

My primary tone comes from my pedal board, where a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal is always on.
For added distortion I have a Xotic BB preamp.

Nashville, like L.A. without a tan!
mishicoco

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 01:43:19 PM »

I found myself adding an overdrive to my pedal board,  the distortion I am getting is quite soft ,  just enough to make some songs little spicy  Grin

Is anybody here that use an overdrive or other effect rather than chorus?

So far here is my pedal board.

I have over the years ,tried to  get a good distortion sound out of my many basses and have found that the best bass distortion out there is the sansamp bass driver DI ! PERIOD also a bass that  has a maple body maple neck is great or alder body maple fretboard, like geddy's bass or a maple body bubinga fretboard , such as an older 1964 4001 rickenbacker c series marshall guvnor pedal is pretty tubey sounding but just not enough punch ,keeping you fundamental tone with  full response is always the issue when it comes to distortion (not losing your bottom)
embellisher
Holy Ghost filled Bass Player

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 09:37:22 PM »

Yes.

I used it a lot at our recent Youth retreat.

My primary tone comes from my pedal board, where a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal is always on.
For added distortion I have a Xotic BB preamp.

What tone do you get out of that Easy button? Grin
Child of God

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 06:14:56 AM »

Normally, I don't use effects when playing in a band.  Kinda just muddy things up in my opinion.  I do however own a Carvin 2 channel effects rack with the foot switch to change between channels or mute it.  On a rare occassion, like a lot of you, I'll add in a touch of chorus just to get a little "richer" sound.  But I do find effects a lot fun when I'm just by myself playing.  Probably my favorite is the echo.  Lots of fun to build bass lines on top of each other ... kinda like what Brian May from Queen used to do in his guitar solos. Cheesy

Carl

Whom have I in heaven but You?  And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm 73: 25&26 (NKJV)
fret not

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 04:24:11 PM »

I use the overdrive on my Carvin Redline R1000 Series III. It is a tube overdrive emulator, which actually sounds pretty close to the real thing. The Series II amps had 12ax7 tubes in them, but I bought just after they discontinued them.  Sad I like the range of sounds I can get just by changing the controls on my bass. I can roll off the volume and have a fairly clean compression or play with active tone shaping and get anything from warm 60's/70's style overdrive to buzzy punk rock/metal sounds.

I find that if you cut a lot of the highs after a distortion, you can get a beautiful sustain for slower songs without sounding like you're using distortion. That technique is a mainstay in my church bass playing.

I used to use an old zoom bfx-708, which sounds pretty decent for what it is, it just does a miserable job when all I want to hear is my bass.
Child of God

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 06:09:12 AM »

Wesley -

Hey!  Another Carvin user!  I don't have a Carvin bass, but I do own a Carvin 1000W Redline stack (4x12 & 1x18).  I really like the versatility.  (and never have to worry about power issues!!!)  Mine doesn't have an overdrive though ....

Carl

Whom have I in heaven but You?  And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
fret not

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 11:32:51 AM »

Wesley -

Hey!  Another Carvin user!  I don't have a Carvin bass, but I do own a Carvin 1000W Redline stack (4x12 & 1x18).  I really like the versatility.  (and never have to worry about power issues!!!)  Mine doesn't have an overdrive though ....

Carl

The overdrive I'm referring to is the "blend" knob on the top left corner, next to the input gain. All the Redlines have it, just the label on the front panel isn't much of an indication of what it does. If yours says "tube emulation" between the input jacks and the compressor knobs then its the same as mine. If not, then yours has real tubes. Supposedly the real tube versions had a milder distortion, but with the authentic old school sound.

I really agree about the versatility. Carvin really had a great product with the Redline series. My whole Sunday setup is Carvin, actually (Bolt bass > Redline amp > BR810 cab). There are so many companies making great gear, but Carvin allowed me to have great gear for (relatively) cheap. I probably sound like an advertisement. Wink

Anyways, if you always wondered about the blend knob,  that's what it does. I wish it was controllable with a footswitch, but, like I said, you roll back your bass volume/tone you can clean up the sound a lot.

Happy bassing.
CRBMoA

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 10:46:16 AM »

The orange boxes are GGG Isolated Power supplies. One has four 9V outs, one has two 9V and two 18v.

This is my guitar board (I am teaching the Youth on Wednesdays). Ernie Ball VP Jr. (bought it when I was running three basses and need to even out my signal, works great for this application), Ibanez Phase/Chorus (bought to try out Phase and Chorus. I am currently building a BYOC Flanger and I will be building a Little Angel Chorus this winter. The silver box below is a PT2339 based delay, to the right of that is a now discountinued High Gain OD from GuitarPCB (I am a mod there, and they named the circuit 'The Pony' because of something stupid I said), above that is a 'Gruntbox', which is a Big Muff circuit built to Triangle specs, and lower right is a Colorsound OD, board by GuitarPCB.

I built the Pony, Gruntbox, the CSOD and the power supplies, all the patch cables, and the DIY pedal board. Wink

The tuner is by Planet Waves.

For Bass, I always use my Tech 21 PDDI, and I sold my Ibanez DL-10, but I will built another delay later this year to replace it.

2 Cor 10:5
Child of God

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 05:53:45 AM »

And the Altoids Box?   Huh   

Carl

CRBMoA

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 09:15:51 AM »

And the Altoids Box?   Huh   

Carl
Pick Holder!

Grin Grin Grin

2 Cor 10:5
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: