Worship Bass
November 23, 2017, 12:25:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: How does your team work with your sound man?  (Read 17448 times)
bajagill

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 01:50:04 AM »

We have 2 guys that do our sound for us. While they do not have just the same tastes for the mix, they both do a good job. One I trust implicitly (he is a radio station manager/engineer/dj/etc. and has done quite a bit of live music mixing indoors and out), the other I trust enough (I know he has some radio experience but how much/what kind I do not know). With both of them there is generally good communication front to back. The first guy knows what ?'s to ask to learn what we are hearing and need/want, the 2nd guy responds well to what we ask for. Tonight at practice was our 1st run on a new (to us) mixing board and hallelujah the more knowledgeable of the two was there to set it up and get it up to the 90% mark. Since we were down to only 2 guitars and 3 vocals going through the board this week, it went pretty easy. Our next job will be to route my bass through the board then decide whether or not to use my cab for a monitor only or still use it for the house sound also. I'll leave that up to the "pros"

Dr. C ? Roll Eyes
imacman9

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 09:01:25 PM »

I'm glad other people have problems with their soundmen as well. Makes me feel better. My church has 3 main soundmen.... 1 of them has a great attitude and does the best he can but...doesnt really have an ear for it. The 2nd soundman doesnt have an ear for it and has a horrible attitude and things his poop doesnt stink. The 3rd soundman is the best "technically" but has pride and entitlement issues and thinks his way is the best and he is the "boss".

LOL sometimes all you can do is laugh because its a constant conflict every week. I wouldnt be surprised if our worship director fired all 3 of them! PRAISE the LORD that will be a glorious day!

In our church the soundmen are supposed to be apart of the worship team and they are their to serve us and the direction/style of music we want it to sound - like they just do the technical part and hopefully they are on the same page and like the same sound.
CRBMoA

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 01:28:57 PM »

It is interesting that in most churches, being a part of the WT requires at least SOME level of proficiency, but the sound tech passes muster if they have a pulse and can remain conscious for 45 minutes a week.

I teach, train and otherwise encourage our FOH guys. I even put out a schedule for them, so they don't have to communicate with each other. I TRY to get them to come up stage and pray with the team, but it is an up hill battle.

What consistently amazes me is that, for nearly 8 years, every time I run the booth, I get people making it a point to tell me "That is the best it has sounded all summer.......etc"

And the techs tell me they like the way my mixes sound, but when I offer to run the booth and have them observe, they are too busy. And when I actually need to leave the stage and give hands on direction at the booth, I am told, "Well, that's where I had the knob last week" "I get complaints if the bass is too loud" (which is hilarious, because the team and the senior pastor LOVE the way I play, and they enjoy when I rattle the subs, and I am NOT deluded).

At the end of the day, I believe I need to be praying with and for the techs more. Generally they mean well.

But I have learned that I need to teach them, right up front, that being in the booth is not a technical exercise, it is a service opportunity. If you do not have the heart of a servant, you do not belong in the booth.

2 Cor 10:5
imacman9

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 07:39:02 PM »

At the end of the day, I believe I need to be praying with and for the techs more. Generally they mean well.

But I have learned that I need to teach them, right up front, that being in the booth is not a technical exercise, it is a service opportunity. If you do not have the heart of a servant, you do not belong in the booth.

+1

AGREED
sister_bass

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 12:00:33 AM »

It is sad to say but in my opinion the worship team, worship leader, and sound guy dont work together all that well. Dont get me wrong, we all get along great together but as for working together as a band, not everyone is on the same page on a lot of things.
 A lot of it is to do with quick sounds checks, not taking the time to correct every problem, and lack of rehearsal.

Same here - I think our sound team sees themselves as *just* sound, and sees the musicians as *just* music, but doesn't realize that we all must work together in order to produce QUALITY.

Sound Man?   hmmm...

I say turn me up...he turns me down...I turn up my monitor, we play.

Rinse and repeat weekly.

-D

Um... wow... I could have typed that response verbatim. Seriously.  Grin

1954bassman

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 08:33:44 PM »

Well,

I'm back on bass, and we basically do not really have a sound person. The Pastor's daughter, and his son took over, and neither are musicians or have any techical know-how. They both share a lackadaisyall additude. (made up word) hahaha

Bass with Grace
chrisfbass

Fivers and Worship Just Go Together!

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 01:35:02 AM »

...  They both share a lackadaisyall additude. (made up word) hahaha ....

No you didn't! - "Lackadaisical" is right

= apathetic, careless, laid-back, slothful

Back on subject: it seems to me that the best sound men are guys who also play an instrument and understand musicality.

However not all musos make good engineers!

Chris
sweetthing

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2011, 08:12:55 AM »

Our sound guys are at every practice and rehersal before service.  Which is nice but none of them have any clue what they are doing.  I have played at several different chruches and the sound people never have any idea what they are doing.  The first thing they do is turn down the bass.  Our worship leader is constantly telling them to turn up the bass and kick drum.  When I ask to be turned up in my monitor the worship leader follows by saying it needs to be up everywhere.  We memorize our music which I like doing but it takes time and a lot of practice.  I work hard at constantly trying to be better, get up early on Sunday morning, show up on time all the time.  All to not even be heard when I play.  My husband tells me after service that he can't even hear me and it is very frusturating.   I have come really close to quiting but I have come to the conclusion that I don't care that I can't be heard because I love playing and the best way to apply what you are learning at home is to play in a band. So I have chosen to look at it that way and as long as I can hear myself then at least I'm gradually becoming a better musician.  Nuff said.

We do not play for ourselves but to lead others in worship.
mainsail

Melt me, Mold me, fill me, Use me.

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 09:12:49 AM »

Our sound team is made up of all volunteers.  They share duties between two services, (running the Power Point and sound) First Service, (it was decided to not label it “Contemporary” (has the praise band. The Second Service is the more traditional however our music director has gotten the choir   involved in some more “modern material”. Hence, sometimes the mixing can be a challenge at both services but it is more complex and involved at First Service. 

We have 7 to 8 on the platform on most mornings. I’m the only one not in the house system as our monitors will not hold my bass and we already have 1 to 2 guitars, keyboard, a kick drum and 6 vocalist through a single overhead speaker unit about 22ft up near the ceiling.  It is a commercial grade enclosure with a single 12 and a tweeter.

Our two best sound people are engineers and at least know what they’re looking at with our 32 channel Makcy board. Unfortunately, they can not be at rehearsal every week unless there is a special service to do.

Some of the worship team attended the sound system class that we held a few years ago and have a bit of a handle on how to set things.  So most mornings the mix is at least presentable. 

Since I’m the only bass player, and have been since 1992, I really have no clue as to what my equipment is doing out front other than what folks tell me.  And, since I sit right next to my amp, (Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-12T) I think I’m louder than I really am. I’ve actually been asked to turn up which is quite novel for the bass player.

Also, since we have only the one overhead speaker, there are dead spots in the room or at best, places where the mix isn’t balanced. So, we just work with what we have and hope the “God filter” will make our sound appropriate.

God never promised us second best.
Larry
mousekillaz

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2011, 03:54:44 PM »

We have to beat our FOH guy into submission each week... O wait, I  AM the FOH guy ...
He's awesome!!!

After careful thorough meticulous exacting examining scrutinizing reviewing and postulating I have concluded that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Fortunately, for me,  God does!  Paul R.
Child of God

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 06:35:29 AM »

@ sweetthing,
Are you only in the mix?  (No personal stage amplification?) 
Many people subscribe to theory that says "People all say they can't hear the bass -- but when the bassist quits playing they sure notice that something is wrong."  Consider the role of the bassist -- usually not at the forefront of a piece of music.  Of course this differs from band to band and style, but generally the bassist is in a support role -- the link between beat and melody.  Certainly up on the stage, make sure you can hear yourself (easy since you already know what you're playing!) and the drummer can hear you clearly (this is critical).  As for FOH -- well, I personally mute myself in the board -- I have plenty of power and adding those lower freqs into the sound system normally muddies things.  Most church systems really are not designed to handle those freqs.  Certainly you, the WL, and the sound techs need to talk and come up with a solution.

@ mousekillaz ... too funny!   Cheesy

God Bless,
Carl

Whom have I in heaven but You?  And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm 73: 25&26 (NKJV)
tank

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011, 07:32:30 PM »

I have to admit....we have two pretty good sound techs running the board for us on Sunday morning. Cheesy  One works the first service which is a blended service with traditional hymns (albeit sometimes jazzed up a little) and the other works the contemporary second service where we turn it up a little more.  One or the other will stay after the youth service on Wednesday nights to run sound for our rehearsal of the next Sunday's music.  We normally get started a little after 8 pm and go for about an hour and a half or so and they get it lined out so that all they have to do for the service is tweak things a little.  In the past two months we have been running the bass through the FOH and just using the amp as a monitor/DI. People have said that it has made a difference in our sound.  The bass is now neither too loud or soft,  so that all I have to worry about now is keeping it together.... Wink.

I guess you could say we are really Blessed to have the guys we have in a small church.  Some large churches are lucky to have one good sound person. 

Walk by Faith
Freakbassman

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2011, 05:13:27 PM »

Hi guys. You can have the best band on stage, sorry the platform, and still sound terrible. 99% of the churches I have played in have volunteer sound people. Church leaders like to have good worship bands but don't want to or haven't even thought of bringing in a professional sound person to teach the volunteers. While 1 Chron 25:7 says all temple musicians were trained in music, few sound people are trained at all. I belong to a church with over 10 branches and there is no thought of training them. I've even had to deal with soundies who don't like the style of music played by the bands. ie: gospel, rock country, etc. This problem was only solved by getting the worship pastor involved with who would work with what band. I always try to help soundies when I'm around their branch but I'm told if I were that good why wasn't I a soundie? I did it for a living and I find very fee willing to even listen to my advice. may be their tails have been burnt before by someone else. I always thank the soundies for their help when I play whether it sounds good or not.
Lazerus55

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 08:15:59 PM »

Hello, I do sound in a Church of around 500 and I have been doing it for 12 - 13 years or so. I am in charge of this service and have learned a few things that may help.
1) The sound person is part of the worship team and should be under the leadership of the worship leader.
2) Always include them in prayer, even if they don't want to.
3) It works best for us if only one person (the leader) gives the sound person instructions, or you get to many people saying things that undo what others have asked for. The worship leader can decide if the request is worthy of doing. This can be a real issue in communication, if the sound man is run ragged.
4) Don't count on imput from the Church members as to what sounds good, opinions vary and if you ask 100 people you will get that many opinions. The Pastor or elders yes.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: