Worship Bass
September 23, 2017, 09:56:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: What inspired you to play Bass?  (Read 14704 times)
Tim

« on: July 29, 2008, 12:20:43 AM »

Well, I was just wondering why people decided to pick up the Bass, some may not have been "inspired" or anything, but I thought it would be good to see the different reasons why people started playing.

I myself had been thinking about playing the Bass for a while, but it was at Spring Harvest, where Vicky Beeching was leading worship, and I saw the Bassist there which was when it really stood out for me and so I began seriously thinking about playing Bass. I then picked up my Mum's old Classical guitar (not an accoustic!) and found myself prefering to play the bass line than to strum the chords. So I brought my first, and current bass and started to play!

Anyone got an intersting story about how they came to play the bass?
rfclef
Bassist Ordinaire

What doesn't kill you will learn from its errors..

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 10:30:28 AM »

Well, I have always liked the loow instruments since I switched to Euphonium and Trombone (and eventually settled on TUBA) in high school (even now, it is all the low instruments... I even bought a bass clarinet last year...  it is all abnout the Big Bottom).  We had a couple good bass players in my HS jazz bands, one of which was also one of the tuba players...  so it is a good and common double, and I had always wanted to try it, even to the point of borrowing a bass and a beginner book from a friend in college, but did not go far.  And of course, a big Geddy fan...

Fast forward to 2 years ago, my HS jazz ensemble (me, the teacher now) did not have a bass player, and I was playing the lines on tuba.  We were doing this little arrangement of "Groovin'" (you know... on a sunny afternoon?) and I thought "Hey, I bet I can play that...", so I grabbed the school's Yamaha RB sumpinanother and did OK...  (I had basic guitar experience from my Kybd/fretted harmony class in college and played a mean Baritone Uke).  So I kept at it (I had an excuse to devote time to bass now) and grabbed some lessons, and I love it.

Bobby
My other Bass is a Tuba...
Bassist for "Cry of Stones"
www.myspace.com/cryofstones

Basses do not "gently weep"... they will rattle the walls, lay the foundation, soothe the body and the mind, or bellow in fury as they strike you down with a bat'leth, but they do not "gently weep"...
Craigg

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 11:21:03 AM »

I think, for me, it was a combination of God's timing, gifting and, soon thereafter, a nice dose of Abraham Laboriel, Sr's playing.   Actually, I started learning all the bass lines by Gene Simmons in the band Kiss.  Yeah, I know, pretty strange, but I was a typical teen and in the mid 70's there wasn't much of anything exciting for an aspiring bass player to listen to in the Christian realm.  Then I heard Abe and my life as a Christian musician changed forever.   I still have great appreciation, respect and admiration for Abe, what I know of his character and his abilities as a musician.  If I was to call anyone in music my hero and role model, it would have to be Abe.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 11:52:21 AM by Craigg » Logged

"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul." --Johann Sebastian Bach.

www.craigdouglasgephart.com
2bhumble (Dave)
Jamming For Jesus
Global Moderator

Saved by Grace

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 11:41:50 AM »

I started learning to play guitar when I was about 9 or 10. When I was 16 I was at a party and there was a band there. 2 guitars and a drummer. One of the guitar players had his bass and amp there but he was only playing guitar. I ask if I could give the bass a try and they said yes. I played a few songs with them that night, all of which I just sat on the root and went with the feel. I did well enough they ask me to join the group and the rest is history.
 I loved that deep rich bass sound. I almost completely forgot about playing guitar then and all of my focus and practice was toward the bass.
 That was 35 years ago.

Dave

No Jesus--No Peace
Know Jesus--Know Peace

Satan doesn't really care if you are a Christian,
as long as you don't act like one.
dano

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 04:08:50 PM »

I moved to Calgary when I was a teen and started hanging around the band class after school. The band teacher asked me what I played, I said drums, he asked if I would like to try bass, I said yes. That was about 30 years ago. Still loving it Cheesy
JohnH

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 04:15:58 PM »

Hah!  Easy!  Everyone else wanted to be the guitar hero.  Gotta have a bass player.  I love the sound of the bass and the rythym - it's just awesome - so it;s not like I took up an instrument I didn't want to play.  It was just Providence.

And, would ya believe I thought it would be easier!!!???

"God hears the song in your heart."
"Yeah.  But we have to hear you play."
Why Skill Really Does Matter - Ken Boer and Pat Sczebel
dano

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 04:21:34 PM »

And, would ya believe I thought it would be easier!!!???

That's what I thought as well. The joke was on us Cheesy
Beebebop

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 05:05:56 PM »

I grew up in middle-class suburban Singapore in the seventies and eighties with a little transistor radio by my bedside, and secretly eavesdropping after bedtime to Dave Lee Travis (BBC's 'A Jolly Good Show') and Casey Kasem ('American Top 40') spewing out all the good stuff on the FM. Great times, man!

In my early teens, I was infatuated with the British jazz-pop band Level 42, specifically their front-man and bass-player Mark King. This inspired me to pick up a cheap 3rd-hand Peavey T-40 bass, lock myself in my bedroom during my school holidays, and learn, amongst others, that seminal Level 42 song "Something About You"   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc1ORdr2dQg

Then, a couple of months after that, my other early major influence came in the form of Japanese fusion group Casiopea. By now, I had ditched the (insanely heavy!) T-40 for a much more user-friendly 2nd-hand Ibanez Musician bass guitar, and REALLY started to woodshed. In fact, just the other day, I stumbled upon an old analogue 'Walkman" recording of my first 'fusion' band when I was 16. The four of us had decided to record one of our practices for posterity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZR0_JOe6g

Cheesy Enjoy! 

Kind regards,
Beebebop,
Beijing.

Rob_U

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 08:32:50 PM »

I played guitar for years (still do), but the sound of certain bass tracks always caught my ear - especially Bruce Thomas, and Bruce Foxton. I originally got a Bass around 1991 when I acquired a  4-track recorder, and needed to record bass lines. I never really learned to play it well, I would just sit and come up with something to fill the space on the recording.
Years later, after I decided to start following the Lord (He had been nagging me for years) some people in my old church tried to start a seeker service (stealth torpedoed by the old guard), and it really just turned into a second band for the contemporary service. They just recruited a bunch of us and I showed up with a guitar, and we played a couple of times with two guitarist. The third guitarist played bass, until the drummer left, after the first service we played, and the Bass (guitar) player became the drummer. So with little knowledge, but a functioning bass, I volunteered. I played "hack" bass until the main guitarist moved away, and the Bass player from the other band joined ours. I got to play the only guitar in the band, but I found that I didn't enjoy it as much.
When various reasons caused us to change to a new church, I decided to audition as a bass player - It was what I enjoyed the most last time, and there was a greater need for a bass. I took a couple of months  to pray, study online, pray, practice, pray, study books, pray, and practice more. I'm not kidding about the praying, I never did that before I would begin  home practice before, and I always asked to be able to play so that I might serve - I learned at an alarming rate. I auditioned, and now play for the Celebrate Recovery service on Thursday nights. They had been praying for musicians, and with myself, one other Bass player, a keyboardist, vocalist, and drummer whom all auditioned the same weekend, this last season we have had full bands every week for the first time ever! God answered prayers, and provided for many who had waited for His time.
I have enjoyed learning to play the bass for real, and to play for so many brave, and humble people.
I am looking for a job ( I have been without one for many months - Michigan), it is my continued prayer that I am allowed the continued privilage to serve, and that the job I find does not conflict with my ministry.

Corey

My Band Replica (hisreplica.com)

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 11:17:37 PM »

I grew up with my parents (actually, my dad) listening to Tennessee Ernie Ford. Loved the bass. Then, When I was a Junior in HS up at Pacific Union College, I met the bass player for the Heritage Singers (who had some awesome chops!). His name was Jon Yoshida-wonder what ever happened to him. He was going to college there and ended up selling me his old bass (an EB-O copy-that I miss to this day) when he upgraded to a (if I remember correctly) real P-bass. He showed me where the notes were, and along with a Mel Bay book I was off and running.

Then my girlfriend of over a year decided she had had enough of me and all of a sudden I had a lot of time on my hands. So I woodshedded for a few weeks and was asked to join a band. That was in 76 or 77. Been thru a few sets of strings since then.

See my bass build at dreamsofluthierie.blogspot.com
myspace.com/corey_reddell
mainsail

Melt me, Mold me, fill me, Use me.

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 09:40:40 AM »

I went to a Christmas party in 1961 and the bass player in the band was also playing with the San Diego Youth Symphony at the time.  He had made his own bass from a 16lb piece of maple. It was black lacquered, fretless and a four-stringer. He was playing through a Magnatone amp   and sounded fantastic.  He let me hold the bass and check it out and the Low-End virus entered me and I haven't been able to get rid of it since.

I came home that night and told my parents that I wanted to play bass. 

A fireman friend next door, who had played in a group with the fire department, borrowed a 1956 P-bass that one of his buddies wasn't using anymore, for me to practice with. I also borrowed my neighbor's little Silvertone amp, with 8in speaker and just woodsheded  for six months before joining a guitar band that did almost every Venture song available with just a couple vocals.

I eventually bought that bass and used it for a few years with some fairly old strings. I didn't know you had to change bass strings as they were so big and I thought they just lasted. I have an original recording of our band, the Caravans, with that bass   sounding rather dead but at least in tune!

My first "new" bass was a 64 Fender Jazz bass. (no longer have either one of those first basses (Shame, shame.

That year in high school, I also started playing string bass in orchestra.

Years later, I really don't like to play, I seriously love to play and there is definitely a difference. And playing for our Lord just can't be beat.
Well, I was just wondering why people decided to pick up the Bass, some may not have been "inspired" or anything, but I thought it would be good to see the different reasons why people started playing.

I myself had been thinking about playing the Bass for a while, but it was at Spring Harvest, where Vicky Beeching was leading worship, and I saw the Bassist there which was when it really stood out for me and so I began seriously thinking about playing Bass. I then picked up my Mum's old Classical guitar (not an accoustic!) and found myself prefering to play the bass line than to strum the chords. So I brought my first, and current bass and started to play!

Anyone got an intersting story about how they came to play the bass?

God never promised us second best.
Larry
roscoekid

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 11:57:50 AM »

I'll see if I can shorten this story.

In HS I played guitar for a rock band...loved it always kinda had a knack for music even though I was not George Lynch or the others.  I always thought the bass was slow and dumb Embarrassed....how dare I.   After HS started working and lost touch with music.

Jump ahead to 2003. After years of not going to church, despite being raised there, going thru a divorce so on, so on...I was at my end and knew I needed to find peace. I started going back.

Within several months I started playing guitar...kinda like riding a bike, I never really forgot just a lil rusty.

I had the worst time musically and spiritually during this 3 month period...the church bass player moved an no one was playing. God gave me a message to take up the bass in this sense....go where you are needed and rely on Me, not what you know you can do. I kept playing the guitar and was miserable nothing ever worked out right. 

Finally the music director asked to me play bass for a few services and I gave in.  Grin  Total peace, everything worked out right, and there was harmony.  I soon realized that what God had told me in His own way was that....I know you can play the guitar but thats the old Tim. My way is better...let Me show you knew lessons, a new life, from a completely different perspective...My eyes not yours.

That message applied(s) to my whole life as a christian.   Since that time I play nothing but the bass, or at least try to.  It has been and awesome experience and one of the toughest things I have ever learned. 

My story might sound crazy but God knew how to reach me and what lessons He could teach me through that slow..dumb ole thing we all call the bass guitar.

Acts 17:6 - These that have turned the world upside down have come.
oyobass

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 05:31:32 PM »

I'll see if I can shorten this story.

I shortened it even more... Wink

My story might sound crazy but God knew how to reach me and what lessons He could teach me through that slow..dumb ole thing we all call the bass guitar.

Not crazy at all, unless you want to call God crazy. I sure don't! Your story has His fingerprints all over it.

Welcome home!

John
What a mess

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 05:06:17 PM »

I saw Chick Korea and Return To Forever in NYC at age 16 yrs old.  The bass player was Stanley Clarke.  Thirty four years later I still suck but the good news is I do it at church and have pretty good tone while doing it.  I wouldn't change a thing, well maybe my strings but thats about it. Grin
embellisher
Holy Ghost filled Bass Player

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 11:34:24 PM »

I idolized my older brother, he played drums and guitar. Tried guitar at 10, but couldn't barre an F chord. He told me my fingers were too short and stubby, and I would never be able to play guitar.

A couple of years later, at our church (my Dad was the pastor) we had a split that resulted in about 70% of the congregation leaving, including all of the musicians. Some of us kids decided that we would learn the instruments, with a little direction from our assistant pastor, who played guitar, piano and bass.

I took up drums, his stepson took up bass(couldn't play by ear, he would sit by the piano and his stepdad would call the changes out to him), my sister played the organ, and his stepdaughter played accordian.

Fast forward a couple of months, we had gotten pretty decent on our instruments, and the bass player and I decided we would switch out, and learn each others instrument. He showed me where C, F, and G were, and I played that night, by ear, without anybody calling the changes out to me. He didn't do so well on the drums. Undecided

Fast forward a couple of years, he wasn't coming to church much, and I started playing bass when he wasn't there. Then a narrow minded preacher insulted my drumming from the pulpit and destroyed my confidence on the drums. I switched to bass permanently after no longer being able to keep a steady beat on the drums. I was bitter towards this guy for years afterwards, but God knows what he is doing. Sometimes, when we think that the devil is using somebody, it is actually God using them to steer us into his will.

A few months later, Moving Pictures came out. I heard Tom Sawyer on the radio, and I knew that bass would be a lifelong passion for me.

Today, I can play the bass well enough to hold my own in any musical situation I have ever encountered. Yeah, there are hundreds of guys on the internet and at NAMM shows who blow me out of the water. But I can slap, pop, tap, chord, slur and slide my way through any style of music better than anybody on any of the local scenes I have ever been involved in. And that is not something I say to glorify myself. For all glory and honor go to my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!

I love to praise Him on my stringed instrument!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: