Worship Bass
November 23, 2017, 05:15:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a market for a Kansas, Yes, Rush type band in modern Christian music?  (Read 19547 times)
capnsandwich
I'm probably a better bassist than you.

future "world's best bassist"

« on: August 18, 2008, 03:44:11 PM »

I posted this on www.TalkBass.com which is a secular bass site. I really should have posted it here on a Christian bas forum being that we're a Christian band.

We just auditioned a singer this morning. So far he's been the best singer that has ever stepped foot into our studio. He nailed every tune, covers and originals with ease and has a voice and range much like Steve Perry of Journey. I think our music sounds much like Yes, Kansas, Genesis, Rush, Marillion, etc., but I'm wondering if this kind of music will appeal to the modern Christian. There are a ton of bands out there and many of them sound a lot alike, however, we've decided to break the mold a little bit and go with a style that's a little more progressive and that has many of our influences in it. Check out our myspace page to see for yourself what I'm talking about, http://www.myspace.com/wayfarersjourney (turn up your speakers because everything's a little bit on the low side). We have no vocals on the tracks because at the time we recorded these practices we had no vocalist.

Bear in mind that these are just practices and not actual studio quality recordings so there will be some mistakes and things in them, but I think they'll give you a general idea of our sound.

So what do you think? Give me your opinion. We've only played 3 shows in the last 3 years and all of them were churches.

JohnH

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 05:07:15 PM »

Are you crazy!
Are you nuts!
Are you out of your skull?
Who would want to listen to a Christian band that sounded like Rush, Yes, Kansas, all that complicated technical stuff??
Whi would want to listen to that??

ME!!!  That's who!!

I have one word for the crazy idea of yours:

HALLELUJAH!!!!!

Sounds good.  Can't wait for vocals.  I definitely want a copy of your first CD!  I would love to be playing music like this.

"God hears the song in your heart."
"Yeah.  But we have to hear you play."
Why Skill Really Does Matter - Ken Boer and Pat Sczebel
fretlessguy

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 06:02:53 PM »

It has been doone before. Whiteheart was by many considered to be the first "progressive" Christian band. Also formally being a long time prog rocker myself, I'd say DO IT. You never know until you try. Grin

Doug

...and as you sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. Colossians 3:16B
2bhumble (Dave)
Jamming For Jesus
Global Moderator

Saved by Grace

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 06:23:56 PM »

I really like the style of music you are doing. A strong lead singer which by your post I am guessing you have now will be like icing on the cake.
I dont think you will have a problem finding an audience that will appreciate your style of music.
Sounds Good.

Dave

No Jesus--No Peace
Know Jesus--Know Peace

Satan doesn't really care if you are a Christian,
as long as you don't act like one.
JohnH

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 07:24:40 PM »

It has been doone before. Whiteheart was by many considered to be the first "progressive" Christian band. Also formally being a long time prog rocker myself, I'd say DO IT. You never know until you try. Grin

Doug
Hmmm.  I always thought of Whiteheart as more of a "metal" band.  I didn't dislike their music but, for some reason I wasn't drawn to it either.  I was huge Mylon LeFevre fan though.  And, speaking of Kansas, loved Kerry Livgren and AD.

But, I hijack the thread so, I'll stop... and go look for some Whiteheart. Wink

Corey

My Band Replica (hisreplica.com)

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 09:25:17 PM »

Ive always wanted to do a band that was a mix of Amy Grant and Pink Floyd, but come to think of it, it would sound a lot like Yes, Kansas, Genesis, Rush, Marillion..................

See my bass build at dreamsofluthierie.blogspot.com
myspace.com/corey_reddell
capnsandwich

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 02:33:25 PM »

Ive always wanted to do a band that was a mix of Amy Grant and Pink Floyd, but come to think of it, it would sound a lot like Yes, Kansas, Genesis, Rush, Marillion..................

I don't think we have any Amy Grant in our sound, or at least I hope not. Grin

Corey

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 09:49:28 PM »

I meant the type of lyrics she uses-stories, and such. With the orchestrated sound like PF since Roger left. Where an album tells a story from front to back, each song dovetailing into the next one.

capnsandwich

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 12:43:45 AM »

I meant the type of lyrics she uses-stories, and such. With the orchestrated sound like PF since Roger left. Where an album tells a story from front to back, each song dovetailing into the next one.

You're talking about a concept album. Yeah, we've actually thought about that. We've got a ways to go before we embark on that but it's definitely something we would like to do.

1954bassman

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 11:41:47 AM »

Sounds like a good idea to me. Comptemporary Christian Music sounds a lot like 70's and 80's rock to me. Also, didn't some of the guys from Kansas go Christian. (something like John Eliphonti) Mark Farner of GFRR?

Mark

Bass with Grace
capnsandwich

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 01:22:55 PM »

Sounds like a good idea to me. Comptemporary Christian Music sounds a lot like 70's and 80's rock to me. Also, didn't some of the guys from Kansas go Christian. (something like John Eliphonti) Mark Farner of GFRR?

Mark

Actually Kerry Livgren was a Christian all through his time being in the band only to break off and start his own Christian band, and he still does Christian music. My drummer actually told me that Kansas started out as a Christian band but like so many other bands, got caught up in the system and lost their focus. John Elefante came in as their singer after Kerry Livgren left I believe but he also went into the Christian music scene. I don't know what happened to him after that. I know him and his brother Dino were music producers for a while.

JohnH

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 05:59:29 PM »

Mark

Actually Kerry Livgren was a Christian all through his time being in the band only to break off and start his own Christian band, and he still does Christian music. My drummer actually told me that Kansas started out as a Christian band but like so many other bands, got caught up in the system and lost their focus. John Elefante came in as their singer after Kerry Livgren left I believe but he also went into the Christian music scene. I don't know what happened to him after that. I know him and his brother Dino were music producers for a while.

I read Kerry Livgrens autobiography (which my brother in law thought I had given him instead of loaned him and he threw it away Sad ).  He was raised in a Christian family, his father might even have been a minister, I can't remember, but he went through just about every religion out there, including something called the at-man or with a guy called the at-man. 

Much of Livgrens varied religious experiences influenced Kansas music.  When Kerry came back to Christ and that began to influence Kansas music, the lead singer at the time (Elefante??) put up with it for a while but eventually left because he was tired of singing "those lyrics".

I believe it was Warren Ham who came in to be Kansas lead singer, shortly before they dissolved.  Livgren and Ham then formed "AD" on the Kerygma music label (yes, I did grab a CD and look it up). (Woop!  wrong!  Ham left Kansas then later joined Livgren to form AD - if Wikipedia is correct.)

I saw AD several times, once at Creation in the late 80's.  The did a song called "The Fury".  Awesome, ominous instrumental intro.  Anyway, they did that at Creation jsut as a storm was passing over - no rain,just ominous black clouds and wind.  It couldn't have been planned any better.  I have 3/4 of the albums.  I miss those days.

Edit:  Cool!  Did a quick search and found Livgrens new website/label  Numavox.Some pretty good music plays when you load the site.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:17:26 PM by JohnH » Logged

Brim

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 06:27:16 PM »

Doug
Hmmm.  I always thought of Whiteheart as more of a "metal" band.  I didn't dislike their music but, for some reason I wasn't drawn to it either.  I was huge Mylon LeFevre fan though.  And, speaking of Kansas, loved Kerry Livgren and AD.

But, I hijack the thread so, I'll stop... and go look for some Whiteheart. Wink

I always likened Whiteheart to Yes. John Knox was killer on the drums at their concerts.

living in grace

/// Interested in a TRex FT Jr. modded PT Mini pedal board? I can build it for you! ///
Manbass

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 12:07:41 PM »

+1 on reply #1.  As far as who is leading the way in Christian Prog.....

There already is one.  One of Progs best IMO.

Please allow me to introduce you to Neil Morse.

Soundclip "Lifeline" = http://www.nealmorse.com/audio/distribution/n_morse-lifeline-single.mp3

http://www.nealmorse.com/

He converted in 2002, left Spocks Beard and never looked back and hasnt changed his musical style.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 12:25:45 PM by Manbass » Logged

LeCompte Catholic Thunder Bassist
Corey

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 08:09:49 PM »

AAAAHHHHHhhhhhhh...............Dream Theater......

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: