Worship Bass
November 19, 2017, 06:59:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Whoo--boy, what have I gotten myself into??!!!  (Read 6154 times)
oldrookie

« on: September 12, 2008, 05:29:49 AM »

Okay...all of the teen group music leaders have vanished in the last year or so (all good reasons...returning to school, work, etc.)  I have been talking with our youth pastor about getting a praise band up and running again and now find myself trying to lead the effort.

Wednesday night I announced our intention to start up again (last group we had is now in college and has ) and handed out 11 packets.  Told them I didn't care how much experience they had...but to jump in if they are at all interested.  We have a pretty young group...heavy on 8th and 9th graders...and the idea is to seed the music program for the future.  They could be good with time and we'd like to create a sustainable band.  One graduates, one joins kind of operation.

Big issue for me?  I haven't studied music since I was  junior in H.S.   A LOOOOONG time ago.  I'm still trying to teach myself the bass and feel really inadequate to lead this group of budding musicians.  I certainly have never tried to lead a band of any kind, let alone one populated with very young musicians.

Got a couple of guitarists, couple of keyboardists, one sax, one trumpet, several drummers (our schools really emphasize band around here and the drum crops are superb) and two female vocalists. 

Planning to use chord charts for the Spin series and handed five out to get them started on their own.

So...any advice (along with praying?  Already doing that!)

Help!
Joel
dano

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 06:46:03 AM »

Hey oldrookie,

I just spent the night in the ER, after cracking some ribs, so hopefully this will make sense Cheesy

You don't need to know the theory and so on. You just need to lead and you have plenty of experience with that just from having lived some life. In fact, you can be open and honest about your lack of knowledge in these areas and just borrow a bit from previous band experience. Let the kids run with it and reign them in when they go beyond appropriate. I have found that teens will amaze you if you give them guidelines, help them set the goals (they really like to help set the goals), and show them a bit of freedom. You don't have to say a lot because they will be watching you closely in order to use you as the example. Just be yourself and have some fun. Make sure you setup some resources for yourself where you can find the knowledge you lack because it becomes hard if you try and be everything to them.

Blessings,
Dan
2bhumble (Dave)
Jamming For Jesus
Global Moderator

Saved by Grace

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 08:28:51 AM »

I agree with Dan. Dont worry to much about theory. I also believe you are going to do a fine job leading the group.
A couple of months ago I was ask to fill in with our youth band at church one weekend. There bass player was on vaction with his family and they were to play at all 3 services that weekend.
 At first I wasnt to sure about doing it but I said yes and I am so glad I did. These youngters enthusiasm is incredible.
To be honest they were far ahead of the adult worship band. They were there on time, they wanted to learn, they were quick to learn, and there energy level was through the roof. It was an amazing experience for me, I had a great time and I felt 10 years younger.
I am sure it will all work out fine for you Joel.

Dave

No Jesus--No Peace
Know Jesus--Know Peace

Satan doesn't really care if you are a Christian,
as long as you don't act like one.
oldrookie

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 07:16:03 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement.  I have heard from some parents that the kids are already practicing and have told them how excited they are.  If that continues, it will be alright.

Dano, I'm bettin' there a pretty good story behind the rib issue.  Been there...no fun.  Just don't sneeze! Wink
dano

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 07:27:13 PM »

Unfortunately there isn't a good story behind the ribs. I was leaning over the centre console in my car trying to get a CD from under the other seat when I slipped into the hand brake and CRACK! Simple physics, my leverage was just perfect for cracking a couple of ribs Smiley I broke several when I was younger and into kick boxing so I am familiar with the issues around healing and quite honestly, it was much easier when I was younger Smiley

Keep us updated on the youth team, I am really interested in how you make out.

Dan
What a mess

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 05:06:29 AM »

go to worshipteam.com       

It has tutorials on the roles that instruments play chord charts you can change keys with the touch of a button it is a super tool.
oldrookie

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 09:13:26 AM »

Unfortunately there isn't a good story behind the ribs. I was leaning over the centre console in my car trying to get a CD from under the other seat when I slipped into the hand brake and CRACK! Simple physics, my leverage was just perfect for cracking a couple of ribs Smiley I broke several when I was younger and into kick boxing so I am familiar with the issues around healing and quite honestly, it was much easier when I was younger Smiley

Keep us updated on the youth team, I am really interested in how you make out.

Dan

I do karate, so I feel your pain.

What a Mess,
thanks for the info.  Very useful.
oldrookie

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 05:36:22 AM »

Quick update.

Meeting with a young guitar player and a keyboardist this evening after youth group meeting for a first mini-practice session.  Have an experienced piano teacher willing to sit in and help the keyboard player. 

May be a good thing...may not.  Seems a bit bitter that WL didn't take her up on her offer to lead the thing a while back.  I'll deal with that later.

Kids remain excited and apparently looking forward to seeing where this takes us.

Keeps us in your prayers.
1954bassman

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 11:47:44 AM »

Did you get this rolling?

Mark

Bass with Grace
oldrookie

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 08:13:16 AM »

Well, limping along is more like it.

Keyboard player is pretty good, but the keyboard itself needs some work.

Have an acoustic player, but getting a drummer to commit (of the three-four we have) has been a challenge.

We'll get there, but prayer appreciated.

Joel
1954bassman

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 03:50:38 PM »

Any news? I am hoping this works out for you.  Smiley

Bass with Grace
Manbass

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 07:48:07 PM »

2 sides to this coin in my experience.  One is that "teens" arent dedicated enough or responsible enough to maintain a rehearsal and playing routine.  In 10 years of this Lifeteen band, none of the auditioned or recruited teen musicians have ever played beyond one event or service, even if we call them in and give them a position, they dont communicate why, they just leave.  We often get asked since we play P&W during a Teen oriented Mass, and follow a program called "Lifeteen" why arent any of the players teenagers?  Thats precisely why, they are inherently unreliable.  We are there to serve their need to Worship not showcase teen talent (or lack of).

Our Teen Band is made up from 32 yr old to over 55 yr old players.  The purpose of our ministry is to provide the teen congregation with a culturally fitting and attractive music format while remaining liturgically correct in the Latin Rite.  It is not a casual thing.  We have to be in the zone and well rehearsed or we are in the way of Worship not promoting it.

I have played in the "Family" choir, and it has a core of reliable musicians while other kids come and go as they attempt certain instruments and give up or move.  The core must remain committed and rehearsed however.

So my advice is A) If you have to use kids/teens, go with the 8 to 12 year old segment, as their accountability is driven by the parents...teens are less likely to commit on their own and produce what is needed, and, B) Rehearse and record your rehearsals to get your band so they understand the unifying effect of good time and playing in key at a minimum.  When you are ready to lead a service you will then know it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 07:52:30 PM by Manbass » Logged

LeCompte Catholic Thunder Bassist
oldrookie

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 04:47:42 AM »

The whole deal fizzled, much to my dismay, but not surprise.

H.S. band is nearly a second religion around here (as evidenced by the fact that our H.S. won the Grand National Championship this year) and is nearly a full-time occupation for the students. 

I remain open to the idea, but it will have to wait until God lays it on the hearts and minds of the students to commit the time.

Seems Manbass hit it on the head.
1954bassman

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 05:23:23 AM »

To quote my pastor: "God never closes one door without opening another"

Bass with Grace
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: