Worship Bass
November 19, 2017, 06:59:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: I am curious how much time everyone spends (if any) getting familar with or even learning the songs that you are going to play with the worship band on any particular week.
None - 1 (3.7%)
Very Little - 3 (11.1%)
I try to get familar with the songs - 8 (29.6%)
I almost learn them to the point of not needing sheet music - 13 (48.1%)
I completely learn them - 2 (7.4%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Practice Time For Songs Played At Church  (Read 4803 times)
2bhumble (Dave)
Jamming For Jesus
Global Moderator

Saved by Grace

« on: November 20, 2008, 10:14:44 PM »

I put some time in each week getting familiar with each song and by the weekend I can usually play them all with very little help from the sheet music, but then I don't work so I have a lot of time to dedicate to practice that most people don't have. 

I have seen other members of our worship band come in completely unprepaired to the point they didnt even read the email to see what the songs were that we were playing that weekend. I can't see anyones schedule being so full that they can't take a couple of minutes to at least look at the list and maybe pop the CD in as they drive to work or the store.

Sometimes I also wonder if I put to much into it or take it to seriously. That was kind of my reason for creating this poll. 

Dave

No Jesus--No Peace
Know Jesus--Know Peace

Satan doesn't really care if you are a Christian,
as long as you don't act like one.
mainsail

Melt me, Mold me, fill me, Use me.

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 11:07:12 PM »

I put some time in each week getting familiar with each song and by the weekend I can usually play them all with very little help from the sheet music, but then I don't work so I have a lot of time to dedicate to practice that most people don't have. 

I have seen other members of our worship band come in completely unprepaired to the point they didnt even read the email to see what the songs were that we were playing that weekend. I can't see anyones schedule being so full that they can't take a couple of minutes to at least look at the list and maybe pop the CD in as they drive to work or the store.

Sometimes I also wonder if I put to much into it or take it to seriously. That was kind of my reason for creating this poll. 

Dave
When possible, our director sends the team mp3s to check out.  Since I have the capability to convert and record, I make practice CD's for the group so they don't have to be tied to their computers.

And, since I can't use sheet music unless it's in Braille, I massage the dickens out of the material completely.

At rehearsal,it's very obvious who may or may not have used their CD.

Larry

God never promised us second best.
Larry
Versatek6
Lost With a Trace

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 10:35:55 AM »

I voted "familiar" as we are building a repertoire, and much of what we are doing is pretty easy. It is also cycling back into the performances regularly; one or two new pieces along with one or two recurring numbers.

When we have longer or more complex pieces, we usually get them 2-3 weeks out at our Monday night rehearsal, and will sight read them then. If it is only sheet music (typical), I'll probably set aside a couple 20-minute sessions for each piece. If a recording is provided (not typical), or I feel the need to hunt one down, I'll spend more time analyzing the performance.

For example, when we did "All For You," I probably put in 30-40 minutes working with the recording, annotating my music and working out fingerings.

Depending on the number of songs and how hard they are, I will set aside a half hour during the week and again Saturday night to run down the music. Exceptions apply, YMMV.

O God, give me these boons
Never shall I shirk from doing good deeds
Never shall I fear when I go to fight the enemy
And with surety I shall attain victory
- Guru Gobind Singh.
JohnH

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 06:25:32 PM »

I almost learn them to the point of not needing the music is what I checked, but, that's not 100%, maybe 80%.  Sometimes life interferes with practice.  The good news is most of the stuff we played we've played for years so, it's not foreign to me.

"God hears the song in your heart."
"Yeah.  But we have to hear you play."
Why Skill Really Does Matter - Ken Boer and Pat Sczebel
Scott

Yamaha TRB1005

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 05:37:07 PM »

We usually get the service plan via email on Tuesday or Wednesday. I spend 45 min to an hour every day after I get the schedule.

If we're doing five songs and one is new and the other four are older ones I'm familiar with, I might just go through the old ones once each practice and spend a lot of time on the new one.

If I didn't practice, I'd make a mess of things. I need lots of practice.

embellisher
Holy Ghost filled Bass Player

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 01:40:13 AM »

I am the only one to vote none? Embarrassed

We normally do not have a clue before rehearsal what songs we are playing that service. If there are new songs, we do those first, and then do a once through on the stuff with which we are familiar.

There have been two occasions where we knew we were doing a certain new song ahead of time. We were given a CD to listen to, and had three rehearsals before the service that the song was chosen for.
bajagill

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 01:21:20 AM »

Generally we get a playlist and/or order of worship on Monday, group practice on Wed. evening, solo practice the rest of the week (sometimes good, some bad), warm-up/final rehearsal on Sunday a.m. Been having to put in more solo practice lately as I fill in sometimes for the WL's when one or the other or both are gone. End of this month is going to be interesting....both WL's gone and both drummers too  Cry bummer deal but it'll work out just the way He wants it to   Smiley

Dr. C ? Roll Eyes
CRBMoA

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 09:29:20 AM »

I am the only one to vote none? Embarrassed

Nope.

2 Cor 10:5
ytsuejam

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 04:38:35 AM »

Me personally...., at least 1 hour 3-4 times per week. Our church is rather large so we actually have 2 buildings: Our main one and then a smaller one that handles the "overfill" so to speak.Both of these two have 2 services on Sunday,( 9:30 am & 11:00 am, with the larger one holding a 5:00 pm service as well.
With all of this going on we multiple bands performing every Sunday! This also doesn't take into account the high school/middle school groups.

We have on our church's website a section for all of the schedules:bands,lights,sound video ( sermons are recorded and transferred over to the smaller building,which runs 2-4 minutes behind the main bldg.) We see our schedule for the whole month for the days we play but we only get the charts/mp3's on Monday. Full rehearsal is on Thursday evenings. Sunday morning we arrive an hour/half early to run through the set,lights/video bumpers, and anything else is also given a run through. I rarely use the charts, I always believe in coming prepared,to know the material good enough since  one of our signers is always going to want to change the key,right before service. I just upload the weeks set list onto Tascam BTMP3 bass trainer and I'm good to go.Occasionally I may have to convert one or two for some odd reason.

Patrick
Eddy

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 07:53:02 AM »

I voted: almost learn them to the point of not needing sheet music

In most cases this is true. 
I prefer to have the songs under my fingers when I arrive for our Sunday morning run thru. There are weeks when we do not get a set list until we arrive, or  there can be additions/substitutions at the last minute. That makes it impossible to know them in advance.

Our minister of music typically sends us an email on Thursday with a link to a church, private web page where mp3s and charts of the songs reside behind login/password protection.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 07:54:57 AM by Eddy » Logged

Nashville, like L.A. without a tan!
SavnBass

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 10:38:56 AM »

Many of the songs we do we have been doing for a while.. so I am at the point where I really dont evenneed the music for most of them.. but for some of the ones that we either havent done in a while.. or where I may lapse into a pre senior moment.. I use the sheets..  My job is kind of demanding.. but I try to get at least 3 separate worship practice sessions even if they are short.. like say 30-60 minutes each week.. There are seral bands I play with though.. for instance today's P&W service we did :

P&W
E-All about You
C- You, You Are God
C mod D- Holy, Holy, Holy
D-Come Thou Fount
B-Your Name

For another group that does a thing called crossover we will be rehearsing tonight:
LET IT RISE
STILL STANDING
EVERYWHERE THAT I GO
PRAYERS OF THE RIGHTEOUS
LET THE PEACE OF GOD
HE KNOWS MY NAME
SAY THE NAME

and for another band I play with that will be going to a prison next month we will be doing
1. Friend of God (key of C)
2. God, You are God (key of C mod to D)
3. Dancing Generation (key of D)
4. Only One (key of E)
5. I Will Worship (key of C)
6.  I Am Blessed (key of G)

S I try to get all this in when I practice.. but I take the problem songs first and give them the most time...

OnePlace|ChristChapelChurchWoodbridgeVa
Satan doesn't care if you believe the lie as long as you doubt the truth.
Brim

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 09:14:35 PM »

Having played with the same worship band now for about 3 years, I can play about 80% of our songs from memory and in any key. I learned the "patterns" of chord changes etc. We still are given lyric/chord charts just in case. I took me about a year of learning new songs to get most of them down and familiar.

living in grace

/// Interested in a TRex FT Jr. modded PT Mini pedal board? I can build it for you! ///
cb56

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 08:20:40 AM »

I voted "I almost learn them to the point of not needing sheet music". At my church where I am a member. we don't have a full P/W band alot of times it's just me on bass playing along with the piano player and sometimes a guitar. I get handed lead sheets at rehearsal on wednesaday and we wing it. Usually somewhere between wednesday and sunday morning I'll look up the songs on youtube or tangle and make rythmic notes on the lead sheets.
At the church I sub at occasioanally (Just so happens I'm doing that tonight and tomorrow morning) we get the lead sheets and a CD two weeks before rehearsal so we can learn the songs. By the time I get to rehearsal I've just about memorized the songs. I don't ever want to go in "knowing" exactly what note I'm going to play on every beat of every songthough, I want to remain flexable to flow with the spirit.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: