Worship Bass
December 11, 2017, 12:23:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the Mustang Sally of Worship Music?  (Read 5936 times)
aikakone

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 08:56:54 PM »

Just thought of one that hasn't been mentioned.  Victory in Jesus
embellisher
Holy Ghost filled Bass Player

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 11:56:14 PM »

Just thought of one that hasn't been mentioned.  Victory in Jesus

That is more of a Mustang Sally in the sense that any of us that have been playing church music for years are tired of it and cringe when it shows up on the set list! Cheesy

Seriously, the song has a powerful message, but I'll bet that I have heard and/or played this song 1500 times in my life.
eyesuponusbass

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 11:36:53 PM »

I think "Amazing Grace" fits into this topic.  It's a great song, but I get so tired of hearing it because it's so over done.  When my band plays out, we visit a lot of churches, and run into some songs that seem to always get played like:

"Your Love Oh Lord"
"Come Now Is The Time To Worship"
"Holiness"

Two that are getting close to overplayed are:

"Blessed Be The Name"
and
"How Great Is Our God"

It seems like every other band we play with at festivals does a cover of "How Great Is Our God"
embellisher
Holy Ghost filled Bass Player

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 04:17:09 PM »

What about Chris Tomlin's version, Amazing Grace (My chains are gone)? I love playing that!

One nice thing about my current church. We do mostly the latest, most modern urban gospel and praise/worship stuff. But at least once a week, we will do a hymn. Either in a blues style with my Pastor playing piano and harmonica at the same time, or in an urban gospel style. And most of the older generation, the ones who would like for us to do more hymns, compliment us on the new arrangement and ask when we are going to do that one again! So, we keep most of them happy, and make the songs more interesting for the younger folks as well. And more fun to play, too! Cool
SavnBass

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 07:19:10 AM »

I'd have to go with

Days of Elijah
Trading my Sorrows (Although I still enjoy the song.. )
Lord I Lift Your Name on High
Shout to the Lord

While I still enjoy all of them.... I am not at all disappointed that we haven't done them much thus far this year.

OnePlace|ChristChapelChurchWoodbridgeVa
Satan doesn't care if you believe the lie as long as you doubt the truth.
Eddy

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 12:46:07 PM »

Interesting topic. Lord I lift Your Name on High is a contender IMHO.
I've played Mustang Sally - a lot - so I understand the sentiment. I still kinda' like it though.
I'd like to think that the songs listed that I've never heard would NOT be that song.

I'll mention the one that  I was shocked to not see already in play:
Awesome God  - Rich Mullins

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 12:48:25 PM by Eddy » Logged

Nashville, like L.A. without a tan!
tony c
I drive the bus ...

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 10:40:12 AM »

Interesting question, Jong.  During the 90's, I would have to say that the Mustang Sally (or as we used to refer to them, "Proud Mary" -  I used to play at wedding receptions, and invariably, people would come up to me and ask for "Proud Mary", or even say 'Hey, could you guys play "Rollin"?') was "Shine, Jesus, Shine".  "Lord, I Lift Your Name on High" was a close second, followed by  "In The Secret" and "I Want To See Jesus Lifted High".

This decade, I'd have to say "Shout To The Lord" (even though it came out last decade), "How Great Is Our God", and "Days of Elijah" (again, last decade's fave). 

No one has asked me for Kum-bay-ah (sp?) yet, although, I have played Siyahamba ...

www.myspace.com/beggarsandprophets

Carvin LB76
SX "Vintage" PJ
Eden CXC110
Eden D112XLT
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: