Worship Bass
November 19, 2017, 06:55:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do you set up??  (Read 3612 times)
JohnH

« on: December 03, 2008, 04:53:56 PM »

In another thread, Mainsail said, "Due to the setup on our platform, I'm kind of hidden from view."  Made me wonder, where do other WTs set up??  How do you feel about that position?

"God hears the song in your heart."
"Yeah.  But we have to hear you play."
Why Skill Really Does Matter - Ken Boer and Pat Sczebel
2bhumble (Dave)
Jamming For Jesus
Global Moderator

Saved by Grace

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 06:50:26 PM »

If you were on the stage looking out I would be just left of the drummer with 2 back-up singers in front of me. Guitars and keyboards are to the right side of the stage.

No Jesus--No Peace
Know Jesus--Know Peace

Satan doesn't really care if you are a Christian,
as long as you don't act like one.
Rob_U

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 09:25:02 PM »

For the CR service that I play for, we use the atrium. There is a riser, and the Bass position (the amp is always there) is to the congregation's right, on the rear (higher) riser with the drummer in the center. The keyboard is in front of the bass, and below, and the electric guitar is usually on the other side (rear), with the option of an acoustic guitar position front and left (if leading). The backup vocalists are front and center.

The Sunday teams are all over the place on the flat stage area in the sanctuary. Usually the bass player (I hope it's me some day) is usually in the back next to the drums.

I think that it is important for the bass player to be near the drums, and of course, be able to see the WL.

I guess I should add a photo of the atrium as well:

And of the one of the Sunday teams (not me on bass - I'm behind the camera) in the sanctuary:

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 09:08:00 PM by Rob_U » Logged

1954bassman

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 10:16:10 PM »

From the congregation's view:

Drummer (in plexi-room)                          three rows of choir                                       open area

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Violin                                              '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Bass      Guitar        WL/ Keys             Praise Team (4 vocalists)

We have a very large platform, with plenty of room. My wife (fiddler) prefers being hid behind the rest of the band, though it is quite easy to see her, and all the other musicians.

Bass with Grace
Scott

Yamaha TRB1005

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 09:19:20 AM »

Here's our Stage:

Its different now from when that picture was taken.

We used to all stand on the floor along and in front of the stage. The piano was the only thing on the stage. Pastor recently decided he wanted us to move up on the stage.

So now, the piano is on the floor with the back of it up against the right side of the stage. I (bass) now stand where the piano is in the pic, our worship leader (acoustic guitar) is right next to me and the congas are still down on the floor in front of where I stand.

Our conga player is an ER Dr. and he has to work about 1/2 the Sundays so he's not there a lot. I guess leaving him down on the floor makes it easier to move his congas in and out as we usually don't know when he's going to be there.

For the singers, it depends on how many show up. If its just one, she stands by the WL on his other side from me. If its two or more, then they move over to the left side of the stage to balance it out a little more.

How do I feel about it? I wish we could spread out a little more. Its kind of tight there on the right side, especially getting on and off of there quickly and quietly. Our WL always likes to be really close to me so he can see my sheet music as well as his. Myself, I'd rather have a little more personal space. I think part of it is that I HATE being the center of attention up front and with him so close to me, it makes me feel like everyone is watching me (even though I know they are mostly watching him for cues). When I started playing, I asked the WL if I could just have a little monitor in the room off stage there and just run a cord in and play from there . . . no such luck.

The piano player loves it this way because now, she can see the WL and I (and our hands) over the piano and we can all communicate better. That visual communication thing is the best part of being were we are now and so close together.

JohnH

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 07:45:04 PM »

So, since I started this and now have pics...

Here's where we are: (That's not a smudge on the wall.  It's an arrow pointing to me.)

And this is the stage are (that I'm trying to get us back up on - after I put the speakers behind the black grill that you see on the wall.)

Brim

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 06:50:24 PM »

I stand right next to the drum booth. He's on my right side and slightly behind me (literally touch the plexi glass with my elbow sometimes, especially when I need his attention!!). I found that the closer I stand to the drums, the tighter we lock into the groove.

living in grace

/// Interested in a TRex FT Jr. modded PT Mini pedal board? I can build it for you! ///
JohnH

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 04:54:48 PM »

I insisted that I be right next to the drummer for that reason. 
We did Come Now Almighty King last Sunday and I have a thumpy bassline with ghost notes to add rhythm.  I kept looking at Les, the drummers, foot and we were tight!

CRBMoA

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 05:04:52 PM »

We went to IEM's last spring, and we have our drummer in a Plexiglas cage, so I am stage right, with the drummer in a platform to my right, keys in front-right, vocals in front-left, keys - ac guit - elec guit - aux percussion to my left.

With the Avioms, the bigger problem is not being able to talk to everyone. I can SEE the drummer (and often give cues, because they rotate and I generally don't), and I keep a mic in a boom in front of me to give suggestions/directions (and BGVs when I have enough free brain cells).

2 Cor 10:5
embellisher
Holy Ghost filled Bass Player

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 01:31:08 AM »

The bass, guitar, drums and horns are to the left, from the perspective of the congregation.

Piano and organ are to the right. My Pastor is also our piano player and worship leader.

The praise singers stand in the middle of the platform, in between.
imacman9

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 07:21:37 PM »

Looking towards the congregation I would be on the center-left side of the stage by the drums and the lead guitar is to my right and the acoustic guitar and string instruments on the other side of that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: