Worship Bass
September 24, 2017, 10:33:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's up with the competition/lack of support among Christian bands?  (Read 5267 times)
eyesuponusbass

« on: March 15, 2009, 11:54:30 PM »

My band plays out a lot and we get to meet other groups all the time.  Sometimes it's at a festival where 7-10 bands might be playing, other times one opens for the other.  What I don't get is why it seems none of these bands want to work together on shows.

We have caught "rival" bands in our area copying ideas of us (booking venues that we find, copying MySpace ideas, etc.) and this is perfectly fine, but when it comes to trying to start a working relationship with them, they will have nothing of it.

For instance, one band in our area plays a lot of the same shows we do.  Last year we played at 3 or 4 of the same festivals, but whenever I try to contact them about teaming up for shows or anything of the like, they don't even bother to respond.  This same band took our idea of doing a weekly podcast and starting doing there own about 2 weeks after us.

Again, I have no problem with the sharing of ideas and resources among other Christian artists, but a little friendliness would be nice.  In all of those shows we played together, the other band maybe said 5 words to us.  I just don't get it. Huh
2bhumble (Dave)
Jamming For Jesus
Global Moderator

Saved by Grace

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 09:13:38 AM »

Christian bands should be working together.

In my opinion the Christian bands that don't want to work together or as a team do not have there focus where it should be. If a band has its focus on being the best or being the headliner I believe they are playing Christian music for the wrong reasons. It is ok to try and be the best you can be but that shouldn't nesessarily be the Christian bands main goal.

I think it should be about working toward the same goal as a team of musicians and believers, and that goal is to worship God and give God His due praise through our music while trying to influence non-believers through the different lyrics and styles of Christian music that is out there today.

Dave

No Jesus--No Peace
Know Jesus--Know Peace

Satan doesn't really care if you are a Christian,
as long as you don't act like one.
Versatek6
Lost With a Trace

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 11:38:02 AM »

Some people cannot get past, "It's all about me!"

They do not understand the concept of, "A rising tide lifts all boats."

...the Christian bands that don't want to work together or as a team do not have there focus where it should be. If a band has its focus on being the best or being the headliner I believe they are playing Christian music for the wrong reasons.

When niche market bands work together - Christian or otherwise - it benefits all. A fan of one group may come to a performance to see them specifically, and stay to see others. It is all outreach and cooperative marketing. Doing an occasional co-op show gets more exposure to all at the cost of usually doing a shorter set list, and maybe splitting the fees (if any).

We have done a couple of these and have not had any problems that I am aware of, other than cutting a two-hour set list down to 30 minutes. We play original jazz/funk/rock/blues, a style no one else around here does, which may help.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing. At some point, someone is going to see the light and understand the synergy you are trying to develop, and get on board. Keep up the hard work!

O God, give me these boons
Never shall I shirk from doing good deeds
Never shall I fear when I go to fight the enemy
And with surety I shall attain victory
- Guru Gobind Singh.
embellisher
Holy Ghost filled Bass Player

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 04:09:47 PM »

We had the same problem when I was in a Christian rock band in Dallas. A few of the bands were cool about working together, etc. Most of them acted like you were lucky to have played on the same stage as them, didn't want to talk or hang out, and had no interest in working together. To a lot of them, it seemed like all they were concerned about was 'getting their big break'. It wasn't about ministry at all. Sad
rfclef
Bassist Ordinaire

What doesn't kill you will learn from its errors..

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 06:09:08 PM »

Brother, we are aching to find some contact/support/teamwork with other bands!  We would love to team up with some other bands...  you immediately expand your audience, even if for only one show.  I know I find new bands I like when i go to see a band I already like. 

So if any bands in Oregon or S. Washington are looking to team up, or need another band for your show, gimme a call, email, smoke signals...  (BTW:  the tracks on our Myspace are old tracks we threw together in the garage... Our demos are recorded and getting mixed at the moment...)

Bobby
My other Bass is a Tuba...
Bassist for "Cry of Stones"
www.myspace.com/cryofstones

Basses do not "gently weep"... they will rattle the walls, lay the foundation, soothe the body and the mind, or bellow in fury as they strike you down with a bat'leth, but they do not "gently weep"...
eyesuponusbass

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »

We had the same problem when I was in a Christian rock band in Dallas. A few of the bands were cool about working together, etc. Most of them acted like you were lucky to have played on the same stage as them, didn't want to talk or hang out, and had no interest in working together. To a lot of them, it seemed like all they were concerned about was 'getting their big break'. It wasn't about ministry at all. Sad

This is how it seems to me too.  A lot, if not most, of the bands we run into are very self-absorbed.  Even the ones who claim in their bios that they are ministry-driven seem to come off as more concerned with further advancing their band, than with reaching out to fellow artists.
rfclef
Bassist Ordinaire

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 08:06:05 PM »

This is how it seems to me too.  A lot, if not most, of the bands we run into are very self-absorbed.  Even the ones who claim in their bios that they are ministry-driven seem to come off as more concerned with further advancing their band, than with reaching out to fellow artists.

Me n the guys in COS have talked a lot about this... We'd love to "hit it big"... but that is not our goal...  We have each earned $13.33, a hat, a set of Rory Noland's "artist" books, and a smoothie.  If God has "the big time" in store for us, then we will take it when He brings it...  But playing for 50 Jr Hi kids at a lockin is a kick, and we are playing at my church Easter morning.  How much bigger can you get?  If we never do more than those things, that is a heck of a ministry.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 08:20:30 PM by rfclef » Logged

Bobby

Basses do not "gently weep"... they will rattle the walls, lay the foundation, soothe the body and the mind, or bellow in fury as they strike you down with a bat'leth, but they do not "gently weep"...
1954bassman

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 01:00:28 PM »

A worthy question.

First let's not stereotype all Christian bands as such. I have played Gospel music since 1983, and have seen both sides of the coin in Christian bands. The last 'gig' I played before becoming a Christian was in a country band, and all our equipment was stolen by one of the other bands at a large outdoor festival. I have not had that happen since I got saved and started playing Christian music.

My wife and I have our own Acoustic Gospel band, and after 21 years, we prefer to be the only group. This frees us up to use all the time we need to minister. When there are multiple groups, some group on the program always runs way over their time slot, or starts late. So when I book a 'festival' type singing, I always have a contract that pays, no matter if we sing or not, and our fee starts at $1000.

To answer the original question, several factors could cause non-cooperation:

Insecurity
Jealously
High mindness
Inexprience
Demoninational snobbery

Bass with Grace
2bhumble (Dave)
Jamming For Jesus
Global Moderator

Saved by Grace

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 06:32:58 PM »

Insecurity
Jealously
High mindness
Inexprience
Demoninational snobbery

Very good list bassman and I would like to add one more word to it. Something I have ran into far to much in the past 35 years of playing music.

Egotistical

This has been the downfall to a couple of the bands I have been in.

No Jesus--No Peace
Know Jesus--Know Peace

Satan doesn't really care if you are a Christian,
as long as you don't act like one.
eyesuponusbass

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 08:22:54 AM »

A worthy question.

First let's not stereotype all Christian bands as such. I have played Gospel music since 1983, and have seen both sides of the coin in Christian bands. The last 'gig' I played before becoming a Christian was in a country band, and all our equipment was stolen by one of the other bands at a large outdoor festival. I have not had that happen since I got saved and started playing Christian music.

My wife and I have our own Acoustic Gospel band, and after 21 years, we prefer to be the only group. This frees us up to use all the time we need to minister. When there are multiple groups, some group on the program always runs way over their time slot, or starts late. So when I book a 'festival' type singing, I always have a contract that pays, no matter if we sing or not, and our fee starts at $1000.

Insecurity
Jealously
High mindness
Inexprience
Demoninational snobbery

Oh, I understand your points on your preference to play alone.  We all get irked by those who run over.
SavnBass

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 12:13:39 PM »

Christian bands should be working together.
In my opinion the Christian bands that don't want to work together or as a team do not have there focus where it should be. If a band has its focus on being the best or being the headliner I believe they are playing Christian music for the wrong reasons. It is ok to try and be the best you can be but that shouldn't nesessarily be the Christian bands main goal.
I think it should be about working toward the same goal as a team of musicians and believers, and that goal is to worship God and give God His due praise through our music while trying to influence non-believers through the different lyrics and styles of Christian music that is out there today.
Dave

+1

OnePlace|ChristChapelChurchWoodbridgeVa
Satan doesn't care if you believe the lie as long as you doubt the truth.
rfclef
Bassist Ordinaire

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 10:53:42 AM »

My drummer and I are meeting for the first time tonight with folks from another band to talk and pray about doing some colaberative work... joint concert or something.  We are looking forward to it.  We have had similar meetings with others and it seemed to be a lot about the $$ and ticket sales... just did not seem right, Spirit was not leading, so we passed.  We will see about tonight...

Bobby

rfclef
Bassist Ordinaire

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 11:08:37 PM »

My drummer and I are meeting for the first time tonight with folks from another band to talk and pray about doing some colaberative work... joint concert or something.  We are looking forward to it.  We have had similar meetings with others and it seemed to be a lot about the $$ and ticket sales... just did not seem right, Spirit was not leading, so we passed.  We will see about tonight...
SHow's promise...  we'll see what the Lord has in store for us...

Bobby

imacman9

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 08:03:22 PM »

Instead of trying to work together lets all try to WORSHIP together - if what we do doesn't reflect or point to Jesus then why are we doing it?

Less of me more of HIM!

WOOOOT GLORY HALLELUJAH PRAISE JESUS hahahaha  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: