Worship Bass
September 24, 2017, 12:21:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stage monitors???  (Read 3149 times)
tank

« on: April 07, 2009, 09:02:39 AM »

Has anybody out there had any dealings with Behringer products,   PA speakers or stage monitors?   The reason I'm asking is that I need a couple of stage monitors for a little gig we're playing the first weekend in May.  I have the board, mains and mic's but no monitors.  We're playing outdoors in our local high school football stadium for the American Cancer Society Relay for Life.  I'm on a really tight budget and I am looking at a couple of Behringer model VS1220F 12"  monitors that I can get shipped from ZZounds Music for 264 bucks and some change for the both.  They are supposed to handle up to 600 watts with a continuous handling capabilty of 150.  They would be connected to a Samson TM500 12 ch. powered mixer.  There will be 4 vox mics,  a mic'd banjo,  two acoustic electric guitars with one of them swapping to mandolin at times run through the board.  And I on my bass will be running through my amp.  Do any of ya'll have any opinions on this,  be they pro or con?  Sure could use the help!!! Huh

Walk by Faith

Walk by Faith
2bhumble (Dave)
Jamming For Jesus
Global Moderator

Saved by Grace

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 10:48:36 AM »

I do know that a few years back Behringer was having a lot of problems with many of there products but many of those issues have been solved so I have heard.

Keep in mind you are buying 2 new monitors for $265 which tells me they are not going to be made of real quality materials. You also say they are rated at 600 peak and 150 continuous. I wouldn't try pushing them that hard and expect them to hold up, however, that is only my opinion and they very well might handle that wattage without any long term problems.

They will probably serve the purpose you need them for, for a long time if you don't overdrive or abuse them.

You might also check HarmonyCentral.com product reviews to see what people say about them that have actually used them.

Dave 

No Jesus--No Peace
Know Jesus--Know Peace

Satan doesn't really care if you are a Christian,
as long as you don't act like one.
CRBMoA

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 11:53:51 AM »

You could definitely rent better gear for less. But if you are trying to build your touring rig, I can see why you want to buy.

Just remember that SOUND comes from SPEAKERS, and no amount of EQ'ing and processing can fix a bad cabinet.

I have been enjoying what Yorkville has been offering. Worked in several venues where they were used, and I found them loud, without that midrange 'HONK' that you can get with 12" monitors.

Don't really have anything good to say about Behringer. YMMV

You might want to look into 'Hot Spot' kind of monitors. Much less power required, much less stage volume to contend with.

2 Cor 10:5
What a mess

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 02:46:23 AM »

I often buy used to save a buck rather than cheap yamaha or yorkville are good ev or jbl are great. If you can't hear you can't sing.
It does seem like with what you guys are giong to have in the mix almost anything would do because you are not having to overcome a loud drummer.
1954bassman

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 04:01:46 AM »

After trying Behringer stuff several times, I will never waste my money on anything they make again. I would look for used gear in that price range. Check your local pawn shops and music stores. Perhaps you have a friend that would lend you a set of monitors. Before I bought cheap monotors, I would just wait. Try turning your house speakers inward slightly, and use them to hear yourself. This should work okay, especially with no drummer, and save up your funds to buy better quality floor monitors or an in-ear system.

I agree

Just remember that SOUND comes from SPEAKERS, and no amount of EQ'ing and processing can fix a bad cabinet.

]

Bass with Grace
tank

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 05:30:18 PM »

Hey fellas.....I really appreciate all of the input and it has helped make the decision of looking into better monitors easier.  It's time to hit the pawn shops and some of the San Antonio music stores that might handle used gear, and  I'll find something to fit the bill.  Thanks again!!!!!!!
 At one of the other forums some of the guys can ridicule but can't give a reason.  I don't find that problem here.  I think most of my time in a forum will be spent right here!!!!!!  At least here we all have one goal........WORSHIPPING THE LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheesy

Walk by Faith
2bhumble (Dave)
Jamming For Jesus
Global Moderator

Saved by Grace

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 11:28:03 PM »

I am not trying to knock Behringer because I haven't really used any of there products. I did test drive a couple of there amps in a music store once but I wasn't very impressed with them.
 I do think you have made a wise choise by staying clear of the Behringer monitors and actually any Behringer products with possibility the exception of there single effects pedals.
 I do know a few people that has used Behringer single effect pedals and liked them but like all Behringer products they to are made of cheap and easy to break materials.

I believe it all comes down to the old adage, "you get what you pay for".  Roll Eyes

I do hope that it is God's will for you to find dependable monitors at a resonable price.

Dave

No Jesus--No Peace
Know Jesus--Know Peace

Satan doesn't really care if you are a Christian,
as long as you don't act like one.
tank

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 09:10:19 PM »

Grin  Well,  I did a little hunting around and found out from a fella I work with who plays harmonica in a Christian based blues band that he knew a bass player that was selling off quite a bit of his stuff.  To make a long story short,  I got 4 monitors with 15's and a tweeter for 25 bucks a piece.  They have some battle scars on 'em because they've been through alot of gigs but work great.  We used them tonight for the first time at a music fest at our church and it made all the difference in the world for us.  We always had a problem hearing ourselves when the audience was clapping along with the music, but not tonight!  Thanks again for the words of advise and encouragement.  It's nice to be able to ask for and get help from fellow Christian men and women bass players.

Tank

Walk by Faith
1954bassman

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 09:06:33 PM »

Sounds good! (pun intended)

Grin

Bass with Grace
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: