Worship Bass
November 23, 2017, 05:14:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Performance vs Worship  (Read 10456 times)
jackthejesusfreak

He Did This For You

« on: April 27, 2009, 05:24:12 AM »

I spotted an older thread on this subject and was advised to start a new one since the other one was older.  I just wanted to add to this subject, how important it is that we keep our focus on worship.  Matt Redman wrote a great book on this subject entitled 'Heart of Worship'.  I recommend ANYONE who is on a worship team, get this book and read it. It is a very small book and very inexpensive.  Good stuff!

Bass Guitars:
1. Rickenbacker 4004Cii
2. Rickenbacker 4004L
3. Peavey Fury IV
Bass Amps:
2-GK MB115
Trace Elliot Commando 12

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 05:52:59 AM »

Great question--something we all need to really ponder from time to time or our love for music (like our love for anything else) can in some ways and areas subtly overpower or affect our perspective of serving our Lord.  Our inherent sinfulness can easily do that to us.  As to the book, I haven't read it so I can't comment on that.

I don't mind the "performance" if it's a concert.  By performance I'm thinking of playing music more in terms of a show (looking/acting cool, etc.), not the skill used to achieve the end.  After all it's a concert, but a worship service is a whole different venue with an whole different objective--honor/impress God--not impress people.  A little background may help see where I'm coming from.  I've played in rock bands and been to countless concerts.  I've been to and done enough concerts that I think I know one when I see one.  I'm now old enough (not old) to think I know the difference between a concert and worship--and there is a difference.  I'm also a pastor with an Advanced Masters Degree from one of the best Evangelical seminaries in the US.  (I say that to provide a little bit of theological experience that I have--not to brag, so please don't take it that way.)  I'm trying to objectively look at both sides of this dilemma, and there are indeed two aspects to this question.

I too am having some trouble as I see some people confusing concert with worship.  As part of facilitating worship we musicians and singers should be invisible as we are not part of the message or "the show"--God is.  If people begin to focus on how cool we look because of our clothes or the cool instrument (like bass Wink), we have become a distraction not a facilitator of worship.  It would be like me preaching in our church on Sunday with yellow knit pants with a red silk shirt.  No matter what I was saying much of it would be lost because people are normal and are normally distracted by things that stand out.  On the other hand if I want people to notice me, I'm on the right track by drawing attention to my performance and ultimately me.  In my mind a concert is a performance for the people (which can secondarily honor God to some extent I admit), but worship is a performance for God only, not people.  We are to help them worship and focus on God and his greatness and if people notice me because I'm performing I'm hindering not helping.  

Popular or not, that's one bass playin' pastor's perspective.  
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 05:59:20 AM by DAGRev » Logged

Worship is never about us--ever--it's about God.  Period.  If ever we get this mixed up it's anything but worship.
Rob_U

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 03:58:01 PM »

http://worshipbass.jivesound.com/index.php?topic=310.0

mousekillaz

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 10:53:52 PM »

Hello everyone ,
 I know this is a sort of old  thread but hopefully some one will give me some insight. first let me say this about myself  as a Christian  I understand that playing worship  is about honoring God and not glorifying our selves. But I have an issue I struggle with on a regular basis and that is this: I have been playing music since I was very young ,I have been ingrained with a ethic that if you are going to do something do it well. I believe that preparation and practice  are necessary to achieve a skillful result. I believe that although God has made it clear through his teachings that it is by our hearts and faith and not by our works that we honor him , am I  wrong to think that we as musicians should strive to do the best we can in leading worship.

Psalm 33.3 Sing to him a new song!   Play skillfully as you shout out your praises to him! 

Now here is the meat and potatoes of my concern ,when other members of the worship team don't spend enough of their own time practicing , either their instrument or the material, and when  come  practice  waste the others time,  what is the best way you have found to correct this ? one more point I have is also when they don't follow direction. Am I just expecting  to much?

One point I would like to make is that although my skills may be   more advanced than some of the other team members I do not worry with this as long as they are willing to  try to improve. I try hard to encourage others and help them when I am able. So my struggle is this,  I as a musician desire a  team effort to play well prepared and pleasing worship music  and am frustrated by others who use the excuse that its "not about us"  to in my opinion, justify laziness.   Huh 

After careful thorough meticulous exacting examining scrutinizing reviewing and postulating I have concluded that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Fortunately, for me,  God does!  Paul R.
mainsail

Melt me, Mold me, fill me, Use me.

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 11:40:58 PM »

I believe, (and I've heard it said when you believe rather than think, one can put more credence in what you say) that we owe God our absolute best effort rather we're a musician or a plumber ETC.

Our WL, who directs both the chancel choir and the praise band, send us mp3s whenever possible for new material.  Since my visual acuity doesn't afford me the opportunity to read other than Braille music, I massage those mp3s thoroughly. And you can definitely tell who has worked with the material before rehearsal.

My director can at least depend on the appropriate bass lines to go with her keyboard at practice.

While I may have more time to deal with the music than others, I feel it is our responsibility to make the time to prepare and use it wisely.  Its been  a real process for me to get to the point where I can relax and just concentrate on making sure my part is my best "unblemished offering and not let the laziness or lack of commitment of others, be a detriment to my own effort.

I feel we must lead by example and offer support to those who may not have the same work ethic. And I'm confident our Heavenly Father expects that of us.

God never promised us second best.
Larry
mousekillaz

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 01:45:11 AM »

Thank you Larry . One of my failings is wanting things   to go my way  . I know  God will provide the  solution if I pray about it and I must learn to be patient . I had  a conversation with our worship leader and he is some what frustrated too . He is a good guy and tries very hard to keep all of us moving in the right direction. We discussed using a slightly more regimented structure to our rehearsals to eliminate the noodling (as in trying to figure out  the song)and time wasting elements that occur all to frequently.  This all brings me to a joke I heard which made me think of   ME   it goes like this ...The biggest problem with church's ...is they are made up of people (like me)!   
 any way I thought that was funny  in a very real sense.

After careful thorough meticulous exacting examining scrutinizing reviewing and postulating I have concluded that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Fortunately, for me,  God does!  Paul R.
mainsail

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 08:25:51 AM »

Well, I can honestly say it didn't happen overnight for my "attitude Adjustment" to come about. Fortunately God is very patient as I'm a work in process.

Larry
mishicoco

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 10:57:42 AM »

one thing that i'd like to add; I do ,absolutely agree that the heart of worship is the primaray focus, as others have pointed out i have seen worship suffer because lack of preparation and practice, making really bad mistakes (oh i dont need to  practice,the spirit will make it all work out) lets remember that proverbs 24:27 tells us as ministers, to prepare thy work without(at home, or away from the sancuary) and make it fit  for thyself (your own skill level ,style,understanding,what makes you ,you and learn the songs of course)and afterwards build thine house. One of the best things that a music minister can do  while playing is to remember to do your job. we are ministers, minister to the congregation. Help them to forget their problems and help them minister to god with you ,come into  his courts first with  thanksgiving (it should come with a smile .Us up there smiling and happy is a first step. praise comes after thanksgiving and worship comes after praise. Remember that we are called to walk in thankfulness i just start thanking god, while i'm playing that  he gave me the position on the platform ,and the rest is cream cheese
mainsail

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 12:09:39 PM »

one thing that i'd like to add; I do ,absolutely agree that the heart of worship is the primaray focus, as others have pointed out i have seen worship suffer because lack of preparation and practice, making really bad mistakes (oh i dont need to  practice,the spirit will make it all work out) lets remember that proverbs 24:27 tells us as ministers, to prepare thy work without(at home, or away from the sancuary) and make it fit  for thyself (your own skill level ,style,understanding,what makes you ,you and learn the songs of course)and afterwards build thine house. One of the best things that a music minister can do  while playing is to remember to do your job. we are ministers, minister to the congregation. Help them to forget their problems and help them minister to god with you ,come into  his courts first with  thanksgiving (it should come with a smile .Us up there smiling and happy is a first step. praise comes after thanksgiving and worship comes after praise. Remember that we are called to walk in thankfulness i just start thanking god, while i'm playing that  he gave me the position on the platform ,and the rest is cream cheese
Plus1

Larry
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: