Worship Bass
November 19, 2017, 06:52:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What kind of Monitors do you use in your House of Worship?
In Ear Monitors - 4 (19%)
Hot Spots - 2 (9.5%)
Floor Wedges - 10 (47.6%)
Stage Amps - 1 (4.8%)
Monitors? I just look to see if the front row is smiling or frowning! - 4 (19%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monitors - What's in YOUR wallet......I mean church?  (Read 4344 times)
CRBMoA

« on: May 14, 2009, 09:52:50 AM »

Let's see what everyong uses. This should be a good launching point for a discussion or two.

Who controls your mix? Do you share a mix, or do you get your own?

Thanks in advance!

CRBMoA

2 Cor 10:5
jason

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:50:44 AM »

I never knew these were called "hot spots"  Roll Eyes ...

We have four TC Helicon 300XT and two TC Helicon 200P XT. 

Our stage is set up with two monitor mixes, front and back.  Fronts are all the 300XTs, they have some personal mixing capabilities.  Mic-in, Shape, Line-in, Lo/Hi Eq, Mono/Stereo, Low-cut and output.  They all also come with DI boxes.

http://www.tc-helicon.com/VoiceSoloVSM300XT.asp

The back mix is with the dummy 200P XTs are just for me (bass) and keyboards.  These are basically just unpowered speakers.  I personally don't like mine and turn it off because my cab is so loud. 

The sound man controls all our mixes.
tank

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 07:19:59 PM »

For our worship band, the lead vocal/keyboardist and back-up vocal uses floor wedges at the front of the stage.  The lead, rhythm, bass guitarists and drummer each have hot spots.  The sound is controlled by our sound person/persons through the church's sound system.

When the band I play in takes the stage during special song fests,  men's prayer breakfast and such,  we play through our 12 channel mixer thru two 15" JBL FOH speakers and four 15" floor wedges.  (we need the 4 monitors because the banjo player and I both have substantial hearing loss and we're all getting up in age Wink) We are a 5 piece band,  Two guitarists, banjo, harmonica and myself on bass and we run our own mix.  It usually works out real well for us.  We're in it for the fun and to serve the Lord so it's all good. Grin

Walk by Faith
1954bassman

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 09:05:23 PM »

We use Aviom IEMs for the musicians, and floor monitors for the singers. A couple of the musicians don't bother with the iems because they can hear good enough without them.

Who controls the mix in the floor monitors? The control knobs on on the FOH mixer, but the WL controls them! As it should be.

In our traveling acoustic Gospel group, we use Avioms, so there everyone controls their own mix.

Mark

Bass with Grace
Brim

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 10:02:18 PM »

Wedges. I have one. Worship leader has two. The two electric guitarists share one. Drummer uses headphones.

A church I subbed at a few weeks ago has a full in-ear system, which was the first time I used them. I felt a bit disconnected, but overall I see the benefit of stage volume control.

living in grace

/// Interested in a TRex FT Jr. modded PT Mini pedal board? I can build it for you! ///
spiritbass

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 10:25:33 AM »

Well, I checked floor wedges. The only monitor I use is my little bass rig (Shuttle 6.0 + Mojo Sonic Mini-T) but our worship leader uses a floor wedge and a hot spot.

Ken

Ken

Those who have seen the light can walk in the dark.
tony c
I drive the bus ...

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 10:53:22 AM »

We use HotSpots for WL (me, I play acoustic for this gig), k/b, and singers.  Bass player uses his amp, electric guitar (me, when I'm not playing acoustic) uses small Fender tube amp, and drummer (electronic kit - no soul, but a sound man's dream) uses floor wedge.  I'd rather have in-ear monitors, but we don't have THAT much cash.

www.myspace.com/beggarsandprophets

Carvin LB76
SX "Vintage" PJ
Eden CXC110
Eden D112XLT
Brim

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 07:55:26 AM »

Happy to report that my church is investing in an Aviom system. We're also trying to get universal IEMs (Shures most likely) for everyone included in the purchase of the Aviom gear. Plan on using foam tips. This way when a member steps down for a while or someone leaves our fellowship (for god reasons of course!!) we can continue using that IEM, just give it a good disinfection and put on new tips. Anybody else doing this at their church? Our drummer already went all the way and bought Ultimate Ears UE11 Pro custom monitors! I'll see how the universals sound with my Dingwall 5-string. I'm already selling off extra gear and saving up for customs. I've been looking at these entry level models: Ultimate Ears UE4 pro (dual driver) or the JH Audio JH5 (dual driver).

living in grace

/// Interested in a TRex FT Jr. modded PT Mini pedal board? I can build it for you! ///
Xiolo

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 10:18:38 AM »

Happy to report that my church is investing in an Aviom system. We're also trying to get universal IEMs (Shures most likely) for everyone included in the purchase of the Aviom gear. Plan on using foam tips. This way when a member steps down for a while or someone leaves our fellowship (for god reasons of course!!) we can continue using that IEM, just give it a good disinfection and put on new tips. Anybody else doing this at their church? Our drummer already went all the way and bought Ultimate Ears UE11 Pro custom monitors! I'll see how the universals sound with my Dingwall 5-string. I'm already selling off extra gear and saving up for customs. I've been looking at these entry level models: Ultimate Ears UE4 pro (dual driver) or the JH Audio JH5 (dual driver).

The church I was in before we moved used an Aviom system and I LOVED it. I wasn't sure at first as I like to be able to feel the bass but I quickly learned that it was a sacrifice worth making. It is amazing how much your playing will improve with IEMs. Suddenly the missed note, or poor fretting technique that has been slowly creeping in is glaringly noticeable. What used to get lost in the mix, and still does for FOH, is right there in your ears. I found I improved considerably with them. I also really loved being able to set my own mix, and we had a great sound guy that took care of FOH. We also used Shure IEM's and everyone just kept their own foam tips which helped with the rotating team.

The church I'm in now is quite different. The worship leader/lead guitar player has his own monitor, the 3 singers share a monitor, and the drummer and I share a monitor. The lead guitar doesn't play through the house, and neither do I.  Tongue He likes his amp quite loud and is a little over-the-top with his playing, which forces everyone else to turn up as well. It must be a nightmare for the sound guy, and the stage volume is often way too loud. We are a small church of 30-50, so it doesn't take much sound to fill the sanctuary.

I miss my Avioms.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: