Worship Bass
September 24, 2017, 12:21:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any exprience micing a grand piano - techie alert!  (Read 3182 times)
1954bassman

« on: May 16, 2009, 09:14:22 PM »

Our church had a grand piano donated to us a while back, and is is set to be delivered Thursday the 21st. As most of you know, I kinda just fell into the Soundboard job at my church. It will have to be miked, so I will need some help on this one.

Our stage volume is pretty loud, even with IEMs, due mainly to our drummers. We also have floor wedges.

I am looking for advice on mic selection and technique, plus any EQ tips. I will probably have to run it in the floor monitors also. there is of course, a floor monitor aimed at the piano bench.

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice.

Mark

Bass with Grace
Corey

My Band Replica (hisreplica.com)

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 11:51:33 AM »

Like a lot of acoustic stringed instruments, a majority of the sound comes off the soundboard. Which, in the case of a grand piano, is the bottom. Ive had real good results putting a mic straight up about a foot away from the pedal column, biased a bit to the bass side. I usually prop the top up on the first or second stand, depending on how live the room is. Keep in mind that placement of the piano-how close or far from a front/side wall-will make a difference too. Play around with the above, and you should do just fine.

See my bass build at dreamsofluthierie.blogspot.com
myspace.com/corey_reddell
fretlessguy

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 03:29:23 PM »

54-

I've used about 3 different techniques to do this. None have been perfect, and each has their trade-offs.
1. A mic underneath and one above, with both around the middle or canted to the treble side slightly (those bass keys are really loud).
2. Both mics above with one to the bass side and one to the treble side.
3. A really large contact mic that basically ran the length of the soundboard. It is made by Fishman and, as you might imagine, is not very cheap.

Doug

...and as you sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. Colossians 3:16B
1954bassman

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 07:22:19 PM »

Thanks guys,

Doug, Shure reccomends the two mic above method. I actually have a couple of MXL small condensers I could try.

I will also check into the Fishman. something like that might be the ticket on our somewhat loud stage. Plus, I already have seven open mics on stage.

Mark

Bass with Grace
fretlessguy

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 02:57:59 PM »

Hope it works out for you.
Also, the last I checked on the Shure contact mic it was somewhere between $250-$300. They may have a new model by now, but check out thier website. www.musiciansfriend.com and some others to see.

Doug

...and as you sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. Colossians 3:16B
Versatek6
Lost With a Trace

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 10:16:52 AM »

This thread is three months old, but I'll throw in, just for future reference.

We are using a Crown SoundGrabber II PZM duct-taped to the inside of the cover. It isn't studio-quality reproduction, but it serves to feed the monitors and add its voice to the mains. Our sanctuary seats around 300-350, so it carries some on its own.

We have it biased toward the treble side so it doesn't overlap too much with the bass guitar.

Unless someone looks closely, or the cover has to go up, no one sees it.

O God, give me these boons
Never shall I shirk from doing good deeds
Never shall I fear when I go to fight the enemy
And with surety I shall attain victory
- Guru Gobind Singh.
What a mess

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 01:29:53 AM »

That crown really is a good solution condenser on the top kick drum on the the bottom is huge but with all your open mics might feedback.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: