Worship Bass
November 22, 2017, 10:16:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Compressor on bass  (Read 10909 times)
1954bassman

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 06:27:20 PM »

Actually, I use to use one a long time ago. worked quite well as I remember. Some tele player talked me out of it.

Bass with Grace
chuckzee90

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 08:12:39 PM »

stinkin' tele's...
TimmyP1955

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 08:46:36 PM »

On the console side (I've never heard one on a bass rig) I like the TC Triple C, which is a three-band compressor.  It allows you (for instance) to EQ for plenty of articulation, yet when you snap/pop it will smash the highs (so they don't kill everyone) without compressing the bottom end away as well.  There's also an envelope comp that I've never tried.

(I've gone to a digital console, so I know where a fellow can buy a Triple C or two :-).
dano

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 04:44:45 AM »

I just replaced my Boss Limiter Compressor with an EBS MultiComp and I have to say I am impressed. So was the sound engineer and the rest of the band. More transparent, meaning less coloration, and more effective. Reasonably priced as well.
mousekillaz

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 10:39:37 AM »

I just ordered a BBE OptoStomp compressor 'll keep you all  apprised  about the performance. My SWR  amp has a limiter that is good for not launching the speaker into orbit but didn't give me the compression i was looking for.  Oh and i just picked up a sweet used  Takamine EG544SC-4C guitar. I think GC sets up the less expensive guitars so badly on purpose. I spent a cpl hrs dialing this one in and WOW its now  really a keeper with superb action and sound (elixers made all the difference)

After careful thorough meticulous exacting examining scrutinizing reviewing and postulating I have concluded that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Fortunately, for me,  God does!  Paul R.
dieselbass

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 04:20:35 PM »

I'm running the Aphex Punch Factory and really like it.  Very subtle but takes down the spikes a little without wiping out tone.  very happy.   Grin
mousekillaz

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 02:04:05 PM »

BBE Opto Stomp was a good addition to the tool box, subtle compression with a true bypass. However I found that when used in the efx loop in conjunction with the SWR's limiter bad sounds resulted, my solution was to run it in the instrument feed.

After careful thorough meticulous exacting examining scrutinizing reviewing and postulating I have concluded that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Fortunately, for me,  God does!  Paul R.
54bassman

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 10:00:43 PM »

I just picked up a MarkBass Compressore, and I am really liking it --- stay tuned!

The older I get, the less I knew
54bassman

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 09:19:29 PM »

I wanted to add a quick note. The Mark Bass Compressore may be one of the best compressors I have ever tried. Does a great job taming my agressive playing, and adds plenty of really smooth sustain. The real tube copression may be what I am hearing, as I am really digging the sound in my IEMs. I have only barely used it in my practice room, through my home studio. and not through an amp but one time (a borrowed amp at that).

But I have used it at church for four services and a practice, and I am loving it. At church I run my bass straight into the Compressore, into a Radial JDI passive DI, and then to the PA. My set-up immeadiately before this was bass into an Eden WTDI. The Eden had more features, three band EQ (did not use) enhance (did not use) and it also had a "one knob" compresser (I could never get it to do anything). The Eden sounded really good, but the output was hard to tame, and the sound girl was having issues trying to keep my channel input gain from overloading. She is a volunteer, with basically no technical background in sound re-inforcement. She has asked me to keep using the set-up I am using now though, because I have quit overloading my channel, and she can turn me up nice and loud. (we are a loud church)

All I know is, my bass sounds better that ever with the Aviom IEMs we use at church, and I have tried several set-up before this, and although this is perhaps the simplest set-up I have ever tried, it seems to be the best sounding, and easiest to set in the PA of anything I have previously tried.

54bassman

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 09:16:16 PM »

I have picked up yet another compressor pedal that is working great for me, a Demeter Compulator. I am using it on my GK rig. (MB150S / 115MBX) - running it through the efects loop.

http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/compulator.shtml

I use this "little" GK rig at practice with a new ministry projsect my wife and I have started with some friends. We plan on having a drummer (our first one already quit), and I wanted to get a good full sound and not blow the speaker in my MB150s, like I did in my old one many years ago. I have a couple of other bass rigs to use when we play out. In case we play really loud.

I have also tried the Demeter with my MB500 / 210MBE / 115MBE GK rig, again through the effects loop and it makes a huge improvemnet in the overall punch and tone.

If I could only have one compressor right now, it would be the MarkBass Compressore.

mousekillaz

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 12:36:01 PM »

I've heard nothing but good words for the Markbass Compressore. I'm still happily using the BBE Opto-Stomp. It's a great little unit and is pretty inexpensive too. 

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: