Worship Bass
February 18, 2018, 10:38:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Schecter Stiletto Studio-5  (Read 10266 times)
Timothy Andrew

What the deuce?

« on: February 11, 2009, 09:34:43 AM »

I've been playing the bass for a little over a year now. Unfortunately, I don't own a bass yet. I've been saving up, so I just play the (cheapo) bass that belongs to the church.
I'm looking to spend around $500-$700, and I've come to like the tone/looks of the Schecter Stiletto Studio-5. What do you all think? Do any of you own this bass?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 09:38:33 AM by Timothy Andrew » Logged
CRBMoA

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 09:50:37 AM »

I found this review that might be useful:
Purchase: I decided I wanted to finally make the move to a five string bass. I had thought long and hard on the sound that I wanted to acheive. I went into my local music shop and explained to the guy that I was interesed in the Fender American Jazz FMT, at the time Fenders latest. Tim told me that he had a bass that I should try before I spent the 1600+ on the fender. He said it was a guitar by the name of Schecter which was loaded with EMG pickups. And since I am an EMG fan I agreed. From the moment I hit the first note I was sold. The sound was undeniabley the tone I was looking for. Not to heavy but at the same time not to light. I found the growling sound that could be curved and contoured with the mid sweep on the active electronics. And all this for 600.00. Since then I have purchase the lined fretless.
Pros: I really love the neck thru design which give it a huge sustain and the EMG electronics that alows you to configure just the right sound. The Mahogany/Bubina body and the honey satin finish makes for a fine looking bass. And it doesn't have the neck breaking weight that some basses have. You know after 4 hours of giging you come to appreciate the light weight.
Cons: I read the other reviews of this bass and the recurring dislike is the buzzing of the B string. I experience the same. I found that after adjusting the action the buzz did go away but you did forfeit some action to acheive this. The other thing was that when replacing the strings you may have to adjust the action again depending on the brand of string. Or you could solve the problem like I did when I purchase the lined fretless model. This was the a very good move in my case. Unbelieveable action. Smooth and fast. No noise.
Quality: CONSTRUCTION: Neck-Thru Body,Mahogany/Bubina NECK: MultiLaminate Maple/Walnut FINGERBOARD Rosewood SCALE: 35" INLAYS:Oval HARDWARE: Satin Gold BRIDGE:Diamond Custom TUNERS:Grover FRETS:24 Medium I saw no blemishes and the craftmanship was great.

Review Summary: I feel that if you want a bass that will give you the sound and feel of the "over priced icon basses" this bass is the bass for you. I see the dealers around the country realizing that this is the bass people like you and I want to play and they won't be any easier to get, and surely not for the same price I paid.

2 Cor 10:5
1954bassman

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 05:06:24 AM »

In my humble opinion...

Schecter's import basses are amongst the better ones out there. I owned a Californa Special (Jazz copy with real EMGs), but sold it due to trying to stay with only four basses. I have one friend who owns a Stiletto 4, his only regret is he wishes he had bought a fiver. I have two friends who own a C4 ,and a C5. Both seem like nice basses to me.

The review mentions what I call a 'floppy' B string, and this is usually true on imported basses in this price range. The Schecter fives I have seen weren't that bad. Just don't expect super low action.

If you like the looks and tone, go for it. In the $500 to $700 price range there are a lot of choices, especially if you don't mind used. I see those Stiletto fives going for $300/$400 all the time used.

Try to get a return option if you do buy one, as my exprience has been that often the bass I dreamed of was not my dream bass after all.  Smiley

Bass with Grace
1954bassman

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 08:41:22 AM »

Check this out:

I saw these on eVilbay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schecter-Diamond-Series-Studio-5-Bass-5-String_W0QQitemZ170302306361QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item170302306361&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHECTER-STILETTO-DELUXE-5-5-STRING-BASS-GUITAR-BLACK_W0QQitemZ120377931745QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item120377931745&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schecter-Stiletto-Custom-5-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ110349982973QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item110349982973&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Bass with Grace
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 09:50:42 AM »

I recently moved up to a Pedulla, but I had a Studio 5-string for a few years. IMO it would be hard to do better for the money.  It blows away the Ric 4001 I had back in the 80s – how do you like that?  It also compares favorably to the Steinberger XP I had back then, too - $1200 in 1988 dollars it cost me. 

Here’s a review I did comparing the Schecter to my custom hand-made 4-string:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2308111#post2308111

I only had a few of beefs with the Schecter.  For one, the strings were too close together for my taste, especially down at the nut.  (That’s ultimately why I opted for the Pedulla; its shallow neck depth allows for greater width and string spacing and still feels comfortable to a guy who played 4-strings for over 30 years.) 

Also, the pick ups have really low output. This typically will require the pre-amp to be turned up really high, which of course means added noise. I heard at Talkbass that switching the EMGs for Bartolinis will really wake this bass up, but you might not be able to get your money out of it if you ever sell it. 

You’ll find that intonation is really tough to set, as it requires totally removing the strings from the saddles to access their adjustment set screws.  Severely loosening the strings to get them off the saddle, then retuning to check intonation – do this several times you run a good chance of breaking strings (and I did).  It might be good to have a couple of old sets on hand before you start.  Setting intonation is a pain, but fortunately it only has to be done once.

I didn’t like having so many knobs, but the midrange control can be really handy at times. Once I sanded down the individual saddles on the bridge  and adjusted the truss rod, I was able to get the action really low. 

If I had liked the neck better I’d probably have kept the Schecter forever.  They sell for about $400 on eBay with a case – that’s what I got for mine.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

SavnBass

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 02:22:08 PM »

I just got one last week.. I'm lovin it.... Beefy.. but not too.. easy neck.. sounds great......

OnePlace|ChristChapelChurchWoodbridgeVa
Satan doesn't care if you believe the lie as long as you doubt the truth.
Eddy

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 06:50:33 AM »

I have the fretless version.

I've had it for about 5 years, and still like it.
I made a minor modification. It had the EQ section and a volume control for each pick-up.
I switched the two volumes for a master volume and blend. I will probably switch it back in the near future.
I also string mine EADGC.

Some came wired with the blend, some two volumes. Take note, I suppose.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 06:52:28 AM by Eddy » Logged

Nashville, like L.A. without a tan!
SavnBass

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 07:48:54 PM »

Mine has the blend.. and I wish I had the seperate volumes for each PU.  Cheesy Smiley

« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 08:22:36 PM by SavnBass » Logged

OnePlace|ChristChapelChurchWoodbridgeVa
Satan doesn't care if you believe the lie as long as you doubt the truth.
heb9_28

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 09:25:57 AM »

I owned this bass until just recently and used it extensively at church. Absolutely awesome. Especially for the money. Try to find one used in good condition... I got mine for around $400. The eq helps a lot especially if the person mixing the sound might not really have the best idea of how to mix the bass (we love them for their service but they don't always know exactly what they are doing). So, you have the ability to EQ the bass right there. Obviously this is available on almost any active bass, but for some reason this bass has very "smooth" feeling sounds. When you get into higher-end EQs (where I am now with an Aguilar OPB-3) it's easy to EQ yourself into a place you don't want to be. But the Schecter makes it easy. I'd say go for it!!!

"Me and the Lord, we have an understanding.
We're on a mission from God..."
-Blues Brothers
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: