Worship Bass
September 23, 2017, 07:40:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Practice tool  (Read 1661 times)
danders

« on: September 14, 2009, 02:15:23 PM »

I've been taking lessons for almost 2 years now and learning what other people have played has become part of the routine.  I think it's partly to help develop my ear as well as teach me examples of different styles of music.

The process of figuring out what is being played is a painfully slow one for me. I probably have gotten a little better at it over the course of time but the songs I'm trying to learn have also gotten more complex and the task doesn't seem to be getting any easier.  There are gizmos for slowing songs down but to this point I've stayed away from those under the assumption that there wasn't a short cut to ear training.  The past couple of weeks I've been struggling with Stevie Wonder's Do I Do; the bass line is cool but it appears to zip by at a 100 mph pace and even after listening to a short section of the song over and over and over I just wasn't getting it.  I came across some software called BestPractice and it worked well enough for me that I'd thought I'd pass it along.  It's a free download, the writer asks to consider a donation if the software is useful.  Here's a link: http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/

I still am not certain if using a tool like this will stunt my ear training or not, but it sure moved me along out of the rut I was in on this particular song. It was also kind of cool for playing along with the song as I could play a section at 85% of normal speed until my fingers learned where they needed to be and then gradually increase the speed until I was playing along at normal speed.  I've never tried one of the commercial models that do the same thing so I can't comment on how this compares, but it worked for what I needed it for.

Dave
CRBMoA

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 04:08:11 PM »

Danders,

I took a look at the link. There is NOTHING inherently wrong with slowing something down to hear it and comprehend it. Just like there is nothing inherently wrong with using an electronic tuner. I have one on my pedal board at all times.

The only danger is becoming too reliant on the gizmo, but I don't see that here. I have met guys that were so reliant on the tuner that they couldn't tune by ear.

That is a useful tool. Thanks for sharing.

" I've never tried one of the commercial models that do the same thing so I can't comment on how this compares, but it worked for what I needed it for." --  Kinda sums it up nicely, I'd say!

2 Cor 10:5
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: