Worship Bass
September 24, 2017, 12:19:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Our XLRs are (bad language).  (Read 2181 times)
CRBMoA

« on: October 13, 2009, 09:33:20 AM »

I am looking for some recommendations from y'alls. After troubleshooting an intermittent lead vocal mic all summer, and replacing the mic, and the cable, and the cable, and the cable, and the mic.............I have determined that wherever the original 20' male/female XLR cables were sourced at my church, the cheapest solution was the winner.

The female ends have nearly 1/8" wobble when plugged into the mic.

I know there are a lot of FOH guys here. What do you use/recommend?

Mega thanks!

2 Cor 10:5
1954bassman

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 02:37:10 AM »

We do not use them at church, but my personal mic cords all have Neutrik connectors. I have been using them for years and have yet to have a connector failure. I use Horizon cables - because I am set up as a dealer for them. I reccommend at least quad and / or 20 gauge twin pair with a braided (not spiral) shield. I use probably a total of over 30 XLR mic cables, and it has been years (+10?) since any mic cord failures on the road.

Mark

Bass with Grace
Eddy

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 06:06:44 AM »

I've bought a couple mic cables, I don't recall the brand. They were the quasi house brand at a local music shop.
They've held up well.
The majority of my cables are Belden cable with Switchcraft connectors. I make those up myself.

Even my pedal board started with Belden/Switchcraft - then I had numerous suggestions/recommendations that George L was the material best suited for pedalboards, so switched it out. Other than the cable and connector size (physical space), I'm not convinced that it's better now than it was.

Nashville, like L.A. without a tan!
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 12:48:24 PM »

I have determined that wherever the original 20' male/female XLR cables were sourced at my church, the cheapest solution was the winner.

The female ends have nearly 1/8" wobble when plugged into the mic.

A lot of people make the mistake of buying cheap mic cables not realizing that the female connectors are junk, living on borrowed time. Take a look at this picture that compares a cheap and quality connector:

The bottom connector is a Switchcraft, the top is some no-name something-or-another. See the little ball at the business end of Switchcraft? The Switchcraft has two of those, and they are spring loaded. The purpose they serve is to maintain a tight pressure connection in the socket they are plugged into.

Now look at the cheap connector. It has no spring loaded balls. All it has is a couple of "bulging tabs" to ensure a good connection (for lack of a better term - one of them seen here circled in green, between the two dark strips). The problem is that over time, the tabs collapse, and you end up with a goose-loose connection that has a lot of flex and give. That in turn wallows out the plug's three sockets, which then can easily make and break connection. So basically, the whole mechanical structure of the connector is compromised.

If you can solder, it's no big deal to replace the cheap female XLRs with a Switchcraft or Neutrik plug.  Then you’ll have a good working cable, as there are seldom problems with the male ends.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:27:05 PM by Wayne A. Pflughaupt » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: