Worship Bass
September 23, 2017, 08:07:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: So who here plays something other than bass?  (Read 18964 times)
Jong Lee
Administrator

« on: September 10, 2007, 08:03:22 AM »

I occasionally play guitar, and on rare occasion, drums.

I had a weekend playing guitar, drums, and bass for 3 different services. That was a lot of fun.
DoctorNik

Hello Everybody!

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 06:08:41 PM »

I play around at guitar,, but not enough to really be a 'threat',, (or maybe just enough, depending how you look at it).. and I dabble at drums,, but not for quite awhile now..

embellisher
Holy Ghost filled Bass Player

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 10:06:37 PM »

I have played drums one time at my current church, and it was before I was the regular bassist, back when I was just a weekend visitor.

I play 12 string acoustic guitar occasionally to accompany myself on vocals. 3 or 4 times a year.
Elizabeth Albrecht
Laying down lows for the Lord...

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 08:02:29 AM »

I'm learning worship keyboards at the moment, and I have a rough idea of how to play drums. Bass is my favourite instrument though.

'Praise Him with strings' Psalm 150
embellisher
Holy Ghost filled Bass Player

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 04:42:55 AM »

I'm learning worship keyboards at the moment, and I have a rough idea of how to play drums. Bass is my favourite instrument though.

Welcome to the forum! Great to see you over here. Cool
revolver323

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 10:10:43 AM »

Trombone because we sometimes do a brass quintet (usually Easte, Christmas, Memorial & Veterans Days).
LeftyBass

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 12:24:44 PM »

Guitar
Electric Sitar
Mandolin
Drums
BassbyGrace

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 03:01:26 PM »

Im actually a tuba player in an active army band.  Ive filled in on trombone and right now Im the keyboardist for my church.  I do gig on bass for other church groups and and functions when I get a chance.
Jong Lee
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 08:15:55 AM »

Im actually a tuba player in an active army band.  Ive filled in on trombone and right now Im the keyboardist for my church.  I do gig on bass for other church groups and and functions when I get a chance.

We had two instances when a tuba player saved the service.

Once, the organist had a broken ankle that prevented her from playing the pedals of the pipe organ. Tuba player to the rescue! He was able to play the parts that normally would have been done with her feet.

The other time, I was playing my bass and it seemed terribly out of tune with the Tuba. I used the tuner, and I was still out of tune. The Tuba as resonant enough, and was in the right range, so I tuned to him mid-song. Later I found out my tuner got jostled and was tuning at 445 hZ instead of 440.
Grinky

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 07:45:30 AM »

A pianist by training, and I play the keyboards sometimes, but bass owns them all!
Mick D

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 10:55:52 AM »

My main instrument is bass but I also play:

guitar
keys
bodhran (Irish drum)
a little drum kit
Mondo Mando
banjo
mando
cittren

God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called
Rob_U

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 10:04:39 AM »

Well I started out as a guitar player, so I still play at home. Who knows, someday I may play at church. My main electric is a Fender American Strat Ultra that I modified the pickups to have two Gold Lace Sensor pickups with one Blue Lace Sensor pickup in the middle. It gives me some quasi-blues tones in the middle, and the Gold bridge works incredibly well with my Boss Acoustic simulator. When I used to play guitar at my old church, I could use that one guitar plus my pedal board to do most anything. I'd love to play my Rickenbacker 360-12 at church someday, but it's probably a bit to folk-rock for them.

I'm more of a folk-rock, punk, classic rock player myself, so a lot of the progressive/pop playing in Worship music eludes me. Especially the odd keyboard based flat-minor-suspended-add-split chords that I'm just not used to playing.

It seems I can find something to play on the bass, no matter what type of music it is - maybe I was meant to be a bass player all along!

rfclef
Bassist Ordinaire

What doesn't kill you will learn from its errors..

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 11:28:28 PM »

Mind if I ask wherebouts?  Just curious...  Tuba player here too, and I know a few players in some of the military bands... 
Just for the official thread record:
Studied Tuba in college, along with some trombone and euphonium (Music Ed major...)
have a fair proficiency on most of the band winds and percussion (cept for oboe and bassoon... but nobody REALLY knows how to play those
Can play a few chords on the guitar, but do a mean baritone Ukulele...  even ordered a set to teach my general music classes...  we played "Puff the Magic Dragon" and "Centerfield" on Friday...

Bobby

Bobby
My other Bass is a Tuba...
Bassist for "Cry of Stones"
www.myspace.com/cryofstones

Basses do not "gently weep"... they will rattle the walls, lay the foundation, soothe the body and the mind, or bellow in fury as they strike you down with a bat'leth, but they do not "gently weep"...
netpirate2003

Holdin' up the low end for the big man.

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 11:47:05 PM »

Bass, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, drums, a very little bit of piano...I can water ski, snow ski, snow board, skate board, ice skate, roller blade, cook(my profession), sew on a button, sell stuff over the phone, talk my way out of a ticket, hack a computer(for good not evil), take pretty good photos, embarrasses my kids in front of their friends when the get a little "too big for their britches", and the list goes on...a "Jack of many/master of none" you could say.

If you wanna make God laugh tell him your plans.
tony c
I drive the bus ...

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 06:37:20 AM »

Well, I'm officially the church's bass player, however, depending on who shows up that week, I could play acoustic 6-string, drums, or keys ... sometimes all in one service.  I haven't been asked to play electric guitar yet, but that day will probably come.  Grin

For acoustic, I use my maple Taylor 610 with the expression system installed.  The drums set I play at church is an electronic Rolands (no soul, but the sound men LOVE it).  The keyboard is an old Rolands variety, a little limited, but tried and true.

I also still have (somewhere in my basement) my accordion.  Back in 1962, all "good little Italian boys" who lived in Jersey City, NJ, just HAD to learn how to play one!

tony c

www.myspace.com/beggarsandprophets

Carvin LB76
SX "Vintage" PJ
Eden CXC110
Eden D112XLT
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: