Worship Bass
November 23, 2017, 12:34:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: So who here plays something other than bass?  (Read 19028 times)
PhilBiker

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 07:18:54 AM »

The accompaniment part of our ensemble is very small.  Just me on bass, a single acoustic guitar, and a flute.  We support 6-10 vocalists singing written parts.  When the guitar player is out I step in and play, often badly.  I'm bad, but I'm much better than I once was (not saying much).
basseddie

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 01:52:27 AM »

played guitar for 30 odd years, drums about the same, bass for about 8 years now.
Started playing in church on the drums for a few years, then switched to bass because nobody wanted to play that, and we had a few drummers. I felt back then it was time to step down from the drum kit and become a real musician Cheesy
I really fell in love with the bass, and it is my main instrument right now, but this year I will be playing guitar every 3rd week.

but what I really want to learn to play in the church band is bag pipes.... Shocked

VIII. “Those who figure they will play bass because it has two fewer strings than a guitar and is therefore easier to learn should probably just hold cases that hold guitars and basses.”

A mediocre musician is always at their best....

23rd Psalms...
The Lord is my Sheppard, I shall not want..
aikakone

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 11:32:35 PM »

Most bassists I know happen to be multi-instrumentalists because they come to bass later in life instead of as a first instrument.

My areas are:
Percussion (principal of a small local orchestra)
Voice (mezzo-soprano)
Oboe (out of practice at the moment, but I can do it!)

Various winds such as records, plus piano and guitar but only at the most simple level possible so that it's not really worth mentioning I can.  Except I did.  Grin
oyobass

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 04:28:17 PM »

"cept for oboe and bassoon... but nobody REALLY knows how to play those" LOL! I played oboe and played around with bassoon all through school, and I couldn't agree more!
Nowadays, besides the bass, I play:

guitar- blues based rock stuff
drums- basic solid beat, limited fills
keys- background pads, not really "playing"
I used to sing lead and ultra-high backup vocals, but can't any more- I have a paralyzed vocal cord with a plastic block under it so that I can at least talk

oyo
rjohnsongroove

May the Lord bless & protect us all

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 09:51:34 AM »

Trumpet (5th-8th grade) and euphonium (8th-12th grade), guitar, some vocals (baritone-tenor),  I'd like to learn keys and drum better.
al.winans

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 05:34:26 PM »

Growing up, trumpet.  The chops for trumpet are long gone now.

I play acoustic guitar and have been doing so for a number of months on my church worship team.  I am trusting that it's because for this time I can contribute more to the team on guitar than on bass.  We have a few excellent bass players there so I have submitted to the authority of my leaders and slid over to acoustic.

Some day I'll get back on the low end.   Embarrassed

Al
Corey

My Band Replica (hisreplica.com)

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 10:57:47 PM »

I play around at guitar,, but not enough to really be a 'threat',, (or maybe just enough, depending how you look at it).. and I dabble at drums,, but not for quite awhile now..

+1, and maybe a little keyboards. I play tenor sax in grade school, but my teacher died and I traded it for an old Tiesco Del Ray that never played in tune so, I never really played it.
Bass was actually my first serious instrement, and taught myself the rest of it later.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 11:00:56 PM by Corey » Logged

See my bass build at dreamsofluthierie.blogspot.com
myspace.com/corey_reddell
fretlessguy

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 12:41:33 PM »

I also play hand drums and percussion. The Djembe is my fav as far as hand drums go. A very expressive instrument. I also play (or play at) the larger members of the mandolin family (mandola, octave mandolin, Irish Bouzouki) and some acoustic guitar (including the very strange yet delightful tenor guitar).
Doug

...and as you sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. Colossians 3:16B
Craigg

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 01:11:27 PM »

Acoustic guitar, electric guitar, keys.  One thing I know for certain is that God has not gifted me to play drums! 

"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul." --Johann Sebastian Bach.

www.craigdouglasgephart.com
Tim

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 12:14:47 AM »

I play keyboard / piano and sing  (a little) along with my bass I probably could keep a beat on the drums if needed, but havn't really had the chance to play drums seriously.
capnsandwich
I'm probably a better bassist than you.

future "world's best bassist"

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 03:58:03 PM »

I've ben playing guitar for 20+ years and piano since I was 5, but I'm still a bassist at heart. I'll probably never go back to piano and guitar will always be a side project.

mikemedley

Matthew 12:30

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2008, 07:57:27 PM »

I am the primary bassist at our church, playing 4-string fretless, 6- and 7-string fretted.  Most of the times, however, we have a college student who plays bass.  When he does, I am free to play flute, alto flute, bass flute, soprano sax, acoustic guitar or (sometimes) keys.  I have even gotten the chance to lead worship from the bass.  Is there anyone out there that has the opportunity to lead from the bass?

Mike

Mike Medley
Just me serving the Lord through music...
1954bassman

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2008, 06:35:02 PM »

I play acoustic guitar (Rhythm) with my wife (fiddle, mandolin) / her brother (banjo) / his daughter (fiddle, some mandolin) as a 'for the fun of it' side project. We do Celtic, old-timey, classical, and old & new religious songs. No bad songs, and we mostly do instrumentals only. I would like to pick up a bassist or guitarist who would help our sound, and not ruin it. Very casual. We do car shows, town festivals, restuarants, etc.

A fun side adventure

Bass with Grace
Versatek6
Lost With a Trace

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2008, 10:22:22 PM »

Trombone is my main/formal instrument - started in 5th grade, and have been playing ever since. You'd think I'd be better than I am by now!  Cheesy

Mainly self-taught on guitar; playing with The Ran Project.

Piano never clicked. I took lessons for two or three ears, but could never master the "verticality" of the written music. It did help lay a good foundation in music theory, though.

O God, give me these boons
Never shall I shirk from doing good deeds
Never shall I fear when I go to fight the enemy
And with surety I shall attain victory
- Guru Gobind Singh.
oyobass

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 12:21:11 PM »

I just started playing guitar for Celebrate Recovery meetings at our church. Last week I was second guitar, along with keyboards. Went well because of the experienced first guitarist and keyboard player.

This week it was me, the 13 year-old bassist who is just learning and drums for the rhythm section.

Jobe is pretty good for his age on the bass, but I'm still working with him on things like tuning and playing in time.

I'm still working on getting the song arrangements that they (we) do for CR into my head.

It has been really odd playing that tiny necked instrument after playing six-string bass...

John
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: