Worship Bass
September 24, 2017, 12:29:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: So who here plays something other than bass?  (Read 18967 times)
jefisipbata

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2008, 01:08:30 AM »

i play acoustic guitar and a fill-in drummer.
rfclef
Bassist Ordinaire

What doesn't kill you will learn from its errors..

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2008, 07:34:30 PM »

Hmmm... the next song I am writing for my band has an intro with a hard rock beat behind a lap dulcimer (Appalachian dulcimer)

Bobby
My other Bass is a Tuba...
Bassist for "Cry of Stones"
www.myspace.com/cryofstones

Basses do not "gently weep"... they will rattle the walls, lay the foundation, soothe the body and the mind, or bellow in fury as they strike you down with a bat'leth, but they do not "gently weep"...
bajagill

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2009, 10:26:54 PM »

Mostly bass now. Still play acoustic guitar when I fill in as WL, electric guitar on  my own time (for now) and I am thinking about taking up my neighbor on his offer of mandolin lessons.

Dr. C ? Roll Eyes
altitude99

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2009, 09:37:19 AM »

I'm our bands bass player and for the first 4 1/2 years I programmed our drum machine till we found our drummer off Craigslist.  He is with us 2x a month so we still utilize my Alesis HR-16.....simple and basic sounds.
I do play guitar also and have occasionally played it when our guitarists have been on vacation. But my "style" /influences of guitar playing I don't think would mesh well on a continual basis. My 4 main influences guitar wise are : Keith Richards (and his open G tuning),
Jimmy Page (another riff master!!!), Robert Fripp- King Crimson (sonically complex) and Andy Summers-The Police (pure texture)

I broke a finger on my left hand a few years ago and my WL (who is our keyboard player) wanted me to play keyboard bass with my right hand....I was up for it but not super confident so I just mixed our sound for 5 weeks while I healed.

God Bless!
jackthejesusfreak

He Did This For You

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2009, 05:18:40 AM »

Actually my main instrument is the 6 string acoustic-electric.  I've been playing 6 string guitars for 40 years.  I recently accepted the challenge to pick up the bass for our new praise band and thank God I did.  He prompted me and I was obedient and it's been a wonderful 3-4 month journey so far.

Bass Guitars:
1. Rickenbacker 4004Cii
2. Rickenbacker 4004L
3. Peavey Fury IV
Bass Amps:
2-GK MB115
Trace Elliot Commando 12

He Did This For You

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2009, 05:26:30 AM »

Well I started out as a guitar player, so I still play at home. Who knows, someday I may play at church. My main electric is a Fender American Strat Ultra that I modified the pickups to have two Gold Lace Sensor pickups with one Blue Lace Sensor pickup in the middle. It gives me some quasi-blues tones in the middle, and the Gold bridge works incredibly well with my Boss Acoustic simulator. When I used to play guitar at my old church, I could use that one guitar plus my pedal board to do most anything. I'd love to play my Rickenbacker 360-12 at church someday, but it's probably a bit to folk-rock for them.

I'm more of a folk-rock, punk, classic rock player myself, so a lot of the progressive/pop playing in Worship music eludes me. Especially the odd keyboard based flat-minor-suspended-add-split chords that I'm just not used to playing.

It seems I can find something to play on the bass, no matter what type of music it is - maybe I was meant to be a bass player all along!

Awesome Rickenbacker rob!  Sweet!!!!

Bass Guitars:
1. Rickenbacker 4004Cii
2. Rickenbacker 4004L
3. Peavey Fury IV
Bass Amps:
2-GK MB115
Trace Elliot Commando 12

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2009, 11:02:04 PM »

I play a Takamine 12 string as well as the bass and I actually started on the Piano then played trumpet in elementary  school then   all through junior and high school. wish I would have stuck to  the piano more although I know how to play it ...poorly. I do want to get a Telecaster and work on that too

After careful thorough meticulous exacting examining scrutinizing reviewing and postulating I have concluded that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Fortunately, for me,  God does!  Paul R.
QuintrKD

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2009, 10:42:52 AM »

I've played trombone actively for about 20 years, and played tenor and bass trombone for about 6 years with a community jazz ensemble and dixieland band. I became inactive with the trombone once I took up bass about ten years ago, given that I haven't found musicians willing to participate in seasonal brass choirs.

The bass trombone was recently was sold to fund my newly acquire Rob Allen.  I'm about to put the Conn Artist Symphony 88H (and my modified MIM Fender Jazz) up for sale to fund a Phil Jones super flightcase.
Eddy

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 11:40:27 AM »

I know how to hold electric and acoustic, six string, guitars and I own a handful of keyboards.

I play the bass.

Nashville, like L.A. without a tan!
bazhorn
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2009, 04:50:38 AM »

French Horn is my main instrument (and my livelihood) - bass is instrument no 2, but I wish it was the other way round! (I've only been playing 2 years so it'll be only a wish for quite a while!)
I play a little bit of keys but find the left hand/right hand multitasking difficult.
I am trying to ressurect my singing (I used to be a chorister 25 years ago!), again, the multitasking is proving difficult as I want to sing & play bass at the same time.
weldon29

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2009, 06:45:29 AM »

I play the piano and violin too, I'm primarily a classical pianist.
cupples

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2010, 02:52:08 PM »

My main instrument is bassoon (with a bit of contrabassoon on the side), but I'm having so much fun on the bass at the moment, I'm sorely tempted to sell my bassoon and buy a really nice five string fretless! Ooo, dilemma! I've got one more gig on the bassoon in February (Verdi's requiem, what an amazing piece!), and then the bassoon is taking a break. All I need to find now is someone who wants to swap their Pedulla Pentabuzz for a bassoon...

I also did a lot of classical singing back in the day, lieder mostly, with a few oratorio and operatic arias thrown in. But I'm just not dedicated enough to practice anymore, and it's hard to sing well with out the stamina.

Andrew

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15

Mania 4 string fretless, Dean Pace EUB, Ashdown Superfly amp and Laney 2x10 cab
rfclef
Bassist Ordinaire

What doesn't kill you will learn from its errors..

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2010, 09:53:28 PM »

Bassoon is one of the few woodwinds that I really like...  Don't give it up... you can do both... (though, I did sell my tuba last year...)

Bobby
My other Bass is a Tuba...
Bassist for "Cry of Stones"
www.myspace.com/cryofstones

Basses do not "gently weep"... they will rattle the walls, lay the foundation, soothe the body and the mind, or bellow in fury as they strike you down with a bat'leth, but they do not "gently weep"...
bazhorn
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2010, 10:11:06 AM »

A Bassoonist is worth his/her weight in gold! I speak from experience as my wife is a pro Bassoonist...
One of the Halle Orchestra (Major league UK Orchestra) Bassoonists is their Bass Guitarist too - I'd keep them both going if you can  Smiley
imacman9

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2010, 03:49:57 PM »

Piano and Guitar
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: