Worship Bass
September 24, 2017, 12:17:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to stop the "stage" from booming?  (Read 4860 times)
slejhamer

« on: December 01, 2009, 08:12:14 PM »

Our singers and keyboards are on risers, which are basically a bunch of 4'x4', 5" high hollow boxes.  Problem is, now that we're playing louder, they are resonating and making an annoying booming sound.  Our worship leader thought it was my bass turned up too loud, but when I stopped playing and the floor under her was still booming, we figured it out quickly enough.  I have EQ'd away much of the bottom end from the keys, but I think the wedge monitors sitting on the boxes are the problem.  And there's a subwoofer off to the side, which I'm sure contributes to the boom.  We can't really do away with monitors or the sub, so ... we needed to deaden the platforms, somehow.

Someone asked if we can fill the boxes with insulation material.  Would that be a good sound-deadening material?  Or do we need acoustic foam tiles (which are shockingly expensive)?   Something else?   I'd appreciate any suggestions; thanks.
 Smiley

Mitch
2bhumble (Dave)
Jamming For Jesus
Global Moderator

Saved by Grace

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 08:22:14 PM »

Have you tryed a thick carpet. Sometimes it only takes a simple solution to solve a problem and carpet is a cheaper fix if it will help absorb some of the bass.

No Jesus--No Peace
Know Jesus--Know Peace

Satan doesn't really care if you are a Christian,
as long as you don't act like one.
dano

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 08:49:59 PM »

You could try decoupling the wedges from the stage floor. Move them to small stands that lift them a few inches off the stage. We have had to do that in the past and it worked well and is also inexpensive to try.
slejhamer

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 04:39:27 AM »

I forgot to mention the boxes are covered in carpet (not especially thick), and the floor underneath is slate tiles.   Do you mean putting a carpet under them, Dave?  On top?

Dano, decoupling makes sense;  I'd be worried about safety though, and the stands would have to be really sturdy.  Do you know what type of stands you used?

Thanks!

Mitch
dano

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 03:50:15 PM »

They were stands that were specifically built for wedges, similar to an amp stand. They were made of iron tubing and were very stable. Stable enough to handle a band jumping and dancing around them and not falling over.
CRBMoA

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 04:29:03 PM »

The EV pictured above has the 'stand' built in.

But you could easily have a handy guy cut out a couple of cradles for the wedges you use, so they would sit like the one pictured above. Those few inches of space will make a huge difference.

2 Cor 10:5
slejhamer

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 07:33:26 PM »

Ah, very good; thanks!  This is really helpful.

Mitch
2bhumble (Dave)
Jamming For Jesus
Global Moderator

Saved by Grace

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 07:42:16 PM »

My suggestion was to cover the boxes with carpet but if they are already covered it is back to the drawing board.

The suggestions of raising them off the floor sounds like a real possibility to solving the problem.

Dave

No Jesus--No Peace
Know Jesus--Know Peace

Satan doesn't really care if you are a Christian,
as long as you don't act like one.
chrisfbass

Fivers and Worship Just Go Together!

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 11:21:39 AM »

Often such booming is created by the microphones on their mic. stands. The stands resonate with the hollow box, the mics. pick it, the PA amplifies it, the stage booms more etc etc.

Use boom mic stands that can sit on the main (hard) floor and extend to the original height in front of the risers by using the boom arm.

Even simpler - go hand held on the microphones.

Good luck with your experimentation

Chris
TimmyP1955

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 11:49:18 AM »

Fill the platforms with fiberglass insulation (the cheapest way) or furniture/mattress foam (no protective apparel required to handle the stuff).  (Or get rid of the platforms - 5" hardly seems worth it.)

Make sure that the high pass filter is engaged on all of the vocal channels of the mixer, and that the channel bass controls are backed off for a natural tone.
QuintrKD

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 10:28:51 AM »

You may want to suggest that your keyboardist move up an octave, as playing in the lower registers of the keyboards tends to muddy up a frequency range commonly used by bass and guitars.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: