Worship Bass
September 24, 2017, 12:18:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help In Configuring a Drum Machine to PA  (Read 2647 times)
jackthejesusfreak

He Did This For You

« on: December 08, 2009, 07:45:07 AM »

Okay fellars, (and gals)  :wink:   I have a drum machine with two lines out for stereo (L/R).  I'm going into a PA that has female XLR and female 1/4" lines in.  Will I be able to get the stereo sound out of the drum machine if I run a dual 1/4" male cable from my drum machine into the PA system?

If so, I would need an adapter to go from 1/4" female to either 1/4" male or XLR male in order to connect to the PA.

Would there be an advantage to sound quality if I connect with XLR instead of 1/4"?

Here's what I'm thinking I would need to pull this off:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Monster-Cable-Stereo-Female-2-Male-1-4--Y-Adapter-104005533-i1172767.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Planet-Waves-XLR-Male-to-1-4---Female-Adapter-777868-i1129015.gc

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.  If there is a better way please share it with me.
Thanks
Jack

Bass Guitars:
1. Rickenbacker 4004Cii
2. Rickenbacker 4004L
3. Peavey Fury IV
Bass Amps:
2-GK MB115
Trace Elliot Commando 12

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 08:38:05 AM »

20' or less, use two regular instrument cables into two of the 1/4" inputs, pan hard L&R for stereo.
Over 20', you may want to consider a DI and XLR's (or pair for stereo).

For live work, I usually just ran one cable (mono) for drum machines. Also, if the PA is not set up stereo, then trying to run the drum machine stereo would be an exercise in futility.

Nashville, like L.A. without a tan!
jackthejesusfreak

He Did This For You

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 08:50:27 AM »

20' or less, use two regular instrument cables into two of the 1/4" inputs, pan hard L&R for stereo.
Over 20', you may want to consider a DI and XLR's (or pair for stereo).

For live work, I usually just ran one cable (mono) for drum machines. Also, if the PA is not set up stereo, then trying to run the drum machine stereo would be an exercise in futility.

Eddy,
This is what I am connecting to:

http://www.music123.com/Phonic-POWERPOD-410-Powered-Mixer-630356-i1397455.Music123

What do you think?

Thanks

Jack

Bass Guitars:
1. Rickenbacker 4004Cii
2. Rickenbacker 4004L
3. Peavey Fury IV
Bass Amps:
2-GK MB115
Trace Elliot Commando 12

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 09:06:49 AM »

Same as I said before, if the drum machine (dm) is gonna be close by (20' or less) just use a standard instrument cable from the dm to the instrument in on the PA head. If it's a longer run, use  a short instrument cable to a DI and XLR from the DI to the PA head. For long runs, you should run balanced (XLR) when possible.

That head doesn't appear to be stereo, running two cables is not necessary. Usually, the left out on the dm is for mono. Look to see if it's designated that way. generally it's marked as "L (mono)" or Left/mono.

Nashville, like L.A. without a tan!
jackthejesusfreak

He Did This For You

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 09:17:12 AM »

Same as I said before, if the drum machine (dm) is gonna be close by (20' or less) just use a standard instrument cable from the dm to the instrument in on the PA head. If it's a longer run, use  a short instrument cable to a DI and XLR from the DI to the PA head. For long runs, you should run balanced (XLR) when possible.

That head doesn't appear to be stereo, running two cables is not necessary. Usually, the left out on the dm is for mono. Look to see if it's designated that way. generally it's marked as "L (mono)" or Left/mono.

Thanks Eddy

Bass Guitars:
1. Rickenbacker 4004Cii
2. Rickenbacker 4004L
3. Peavey Fury IV
Bass Amps:
2-GK MB115
Trace Elliot Commando 12

Jump to: