Worship Bass
September 23, 2017, 07:32:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: One bass vs. multiple basses mentality, which are you? Why?  (Read 21439 times)
QuintrKD

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 10:24:50 AM »

Currently have 3 basses:

Rob Allen MB-2 5-string Fretless - I've fallen head over heals in love with this bass for its fretless tone.  I'm currently using this 90% of the time in worship.  Also, a great gigging bass at 6 lb weight (semi-hollow chambers). 

4-string fretted Schecter California Custom - this is my go-to bass when I know ahead of time that I'm signt-reading, backup vocals, and when playing some semblance of slap.  This may get more use as I become more comfortable with vocals.

4-string fretless MIM Fender - This was my original fretless, and isn't seeing much use due to the heavy use of the RA.  This has been modified with Nordstrand Pickups and a Rothstein harness, but the tone just doesn't compare favorably with the RA.  I may give new strings a chance, going for more of a vintage sound.  Then again, I may sell it as the other two basses probably cover 90% of my playing situations.

I've got a 5-string Lakland 55-02 on the distant-future wishlist for it's tone & versatility.  I can't imagine needing much more for my own personal use.
Ajish4

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 03:48:33 PM »

Peavey T-40 (2) One fretted, one fretless. LOVE 'em....

I love my T-40.  I want to get a project body, slap a jazz neck on it, and defret it....

Sounds like a cool idea! The bodies are on Ebay on a regular basis. The fretless is amazing, TONS of tones!
spiritbass

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 09:38:42 AM »

I've almost always had at least two for sonic variety and backup. Years ago, it was a Fender Jazz and Series I (single pickup) Gibson Thunderbird. I was up to five, but recently sold two, so I'm down to two four-strings and one five. The Kinal I sold was just too heavy and the LeCompte was too dark tonally. My current arsenal consists of an Indonesian made G&L JB-2 with Darkstar pickups, a Dingwall Super P/J-4, and a Dingwall Afterburner I five string.

Ken

Ken

Those who have seen the light can walk in the dark.
oldrookie

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 05:04:32 PM »

I am now up to five.  I had two fives at Christmas, received a SX fretless four string.  Recently added a Peavey Fury for that P-bass sound and liked it so much I started looking for Peavey Foundation (4-string jazz.)  Found one last week at a pawnshop and brought it home last night.

Really great sounding jazz.
Eddy

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 06:59:18 AM »

I am now up to five.  I had two fives at Christmas, received a SX fretless four string.  Recently added a Peavey Fury for that P-bass sound and liked it so much I started looking for Peavey Foundation (4-string jazz.)  Found one last week at a pawnshop and brought it home last night.

Really great sounding jazz.

What pick-ups does it have? They look just like those in my TL-Five (which I love btw).

Nashville, like L.A. without a tan!
oldrookie

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 03:33:12 AM »

This is an early Foundation; pretty sure it is a 1983 version.  It has the Super-Ferrite pickups in  it and it sure looks like yours does as well.  I really like those pickups.

The rosewood neck is the original.  I put my Fury neck on it because I wanted to hear what it sounded like.  A TB'er has sent me a correct tuner and I should have the bass up an running with the original neck this weekend.

Have been reading about how good the TL-5 is.  Tell me about yours. I really don't know anything about them.
Eddy

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 12:56:01 PM »

This is an early Foundation; pretty sure it is a 1983 version.  It has the Super-Ferrite pickups in  it and it sure looks like yours does as well.  I really like those pickups.

The rosewood neck is the original.  I put my Fury neck on it because I wanted to hear what it sounded like.  A TB'er has sent me a correct tuner and I should have the bass up an running with the original neck this weekend.

Have been reading about how good the TL-5 is.  Tell me about yours. I really don't know anything about them.

Odd you should ask. I was just over at the Talkbass page where someone was inquiring about the TL-Five. It seems there's quite I bit I didn't know about the model, even though I've owned one since I bought it new 1991.
Of course a lot of that information is in regards to the subtle differences year to year through it's production.

That said, the number one thing I like about the bass is: It feels right in my hands. I love the radius on the fretboard ( I prefer 7.25 radius Fender guitar necks too).
When I bought the bass, I went to every music store in Atlanta over the course of a long weekend and bought the five string bass that i thought was the 'best'. I passed over Jackson's and Music man, which were pretty popular at the time.

It  has dyna preamp and those super ferrite PUPs, pretty typical of Peavey during that era. The TL-Five has a neck thru the body neck construction. Some of the little details were really convincing as well. It came with the Dunlop straplocks. Here's a link to the owner's manula for all the nitty gritty:
http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/80300932.pdf

If you look at my photo, the speed knobs have a rubber ring around them. You see them better in this photo:

I lost one of them once and it really was one of those things that I'd grown accustomed to. I called up Peavey and they sent me a set of four more. I replaced the one that I lost and still have the three spares.

Bottom line though, it sounds great and the major factor is I like the way it 'handles'.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:00:22 PM by Eddy » Logged

Nashville, like L.A. without a tan!
oldrookie

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 06:23:07 PM »

Nice looking bass. 
SavnBass

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 05:09:29 PM »

I currently own 4.. a Schecter Stilletto Studio 5, which I play regularly, a Ibanez SR505.. which was my first 5 string.. I still keep it as a back up bass and in the hope that one day my 13 year old son may get the itch and I can give it to him.. but I don't play it.. A 77 Fender Jazz.. which was my first real bass.. and I will probably keep it till I die.. I haven't played it in almost 5 or 6 years though...  and actually I should tune it up and play it.. just to see how may playing has changed since I started playing again 10 years ago.. and an acoustic Michael Kelly Dragonfly 5 fretless.. I only fiddle with that in the house.. I sold my Tacoma .. I am basically a one bass at a time kind of guy..

OnePlace|ChristChapelChurchWoodbridgeVa
Satan doesn't care if you believe the lie as long as you doubt the truth.
oldrookie

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 04:20:34 PM »

Taking the Peavey Foundation to practice tomorrow.  Want to see what she sounds like in a full cry. 

Got the replacement tuner on and put the rosewood neck back on.  Set the intonation  and adjusted the neck. Ready to roll!
dieselbass

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 04:31:03 PM »

four here
Ric- fun to play and looks good.  customized some by my brother but good changes
Ibenez 5'er I play most of the time.
Ibenez Musician (80's vintage) that has output issues that are driving me nuts
fender fretless I play on some slower songs.  Has the lined board which helps immensely
all strung with D'Addario mediums.
Child of God

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 09:23:49 AM »

I now play an Aria SB-RI with my old Ibanez SR300DX as back up.  But since the Lord blessed me so richly with the SB-RI, I'm going to pass that blessing on and send the Ibanez to a worship team in the Philippines.  I guess I'll need to hit the pawn shops again to get another back-up! 

Carl

Whom have I in heaven but You?  And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm 73: 25&26 (NKJV)
chrisfbass

Fivers and Worship Just Go Together!

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 08:36:34 AM »

I now play an Aria SB-RI . . . .
Carl

Love those basses - I had one of the original SB1000 basses in 1980 something. Sold it when I changed bands and went back to a Fender P . . . .   Big mistake !!
   Embarrassed

Chris
Child of God

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 12:17:58 PM »

Chris -
They are nice, huh? 
The SB-1000 was the model made in Japan.  This year, Aria decided to issue the SB-RI -- not made in Japan (probably China) -- thereby cutting the price by about half.  The only difference I noticed was it has a different bridge.  I was surprised it had a brass nut, and the sustain just outrageous.  Gotta be careful about that with a lot of the ballady-soft songs.  I'll post a pic or two when I get a chance.

Carl

Whom have I in heaven but You?  And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm 73: 25&26 (NKJV)
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2010, 06:54:34 PM »

Well, for the most part I’m the practical type, so I only keep what I have a use for.   My Pedulla 5-string Thunderbass will probably remain my “go to” bass from now own (unless I happen to come across something better someday). 

It’s not quite as good a bass as my custom 4-string, though.  I keep that one because it’s hands down the finest instrument I’ve ever played.  And fortunately I still have a use for it, although limited.  Occasionally we’ll do a song that I find the fingering on the 5-string a bit difficult, so I’ll use the 4-string instead.  Or sometimes if we’re playing a song that doesn’t need anything on the “B” string I’ll break out the 4-string “just because” I relish a chance to use it.

I’d like to pick up a used Pedulla 5-string fretless Pentabuzz, cause I think a fretless would sound nice on some of the songs our band does.  So again, it’s something that would be useful.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: