Worship Bass
November 22, 2017, 10:14:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: One bass vs. multiple basses mentality, which are you? Why?  (Read 21711 times)
embellisher
Holy Ghost filled Bass Player

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 10:33:23 AM »

I played in oldies bands, have been playing for 30+ years, and rarely sell things.

That has led to me currently owning 4 basses.

Some of them are redundant, but most are not.

I have 2 P bass copies, one looks like it's from the late 50's (SX), the other from the 70's (Electra).

I have a Geddy Lee Jazz and a Foundation, that is a bit redundant I guess but I love them both.

I have three modern sounding 5 strings, but one of them is fretless (Zon). One of them is going nowhere (Nordstrand). That leaves my Lakland as redundant. Wouldn't mind selling it, and probably will soon since I am currently unemployed.

The rest are not redundant at all.

Electra Westone P/J fretless, for years it was my only fretless.

Westone Quantum, which is a Steinberger copy.

Hamer CH12 - I love the 12 string sound. These days, this one only gets played at the occasional youth service. Too in your face for P&W!

Peavey T-40 - Don't play this one at all, a ton of tones,  most of which I don't care for. Awkward, unbalanced, heavy. I remember why I traded my first one for an Electra Westone years ago! It will be sold if the right buyer ever comes along.

Olympia ABG - This actually belongs to my wife, but she never plays it. I play it once or twice a year. It is Tacoma's cheapo MIK line, looks just like a Thunderchief. Almost as loud, too.

Peavey Cirrus 6 - Great bass! I don't play it as much as I used to. I have toyed with the idea of convering it to fretless, since it has an ebony board, but I hate to do that to such a nice bass. I would also sell this one, but the resale on a Cirrus is very poor. It's worth way more to me than I could sell it for.

Conklin GT-7 - Just bought this one a few weeks ago. Great bass for the price! It has taken all of the time that I used to spend playing the Cirrus. Still learning to deal with that 7th string!
1954bassman

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2010, 12:31:15 PM »

Sounds like you need a few more!

Bass with Grace
embellisher
Holy Ghost filled Bass Player

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 10:54:25 PM »

Naw. I used to think I needed X bass to get 'that sound'. Now that I am only playing at church, not so much.

With the economy, and me being currently unemployed, the Lakland and the T-40 will probably be on the block soon. And my iAMP800 as well. I would sell other stuff (Cirrus, Geddy Lee, Schroeder cab, etc) but a lot of it is worth more to me than I can sell it for, or has sentimental value.

The Geddy would give me a huge return on investment, but I would probably always regret selling it. I would gladly sell my Cirrus, if it wasn't for the fact that I would take about an $850 hit on it. Sad
fret not

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2010, 07:52:55 PM »

I almost exlusively play one bass, but currently own two. I am of the multiple basses mentality, just have more pressing budget items than new basses.   Undecided

With so many ways to configure a bass that drastically affect the sound and feel, you could have a hundred of them, none redundant. Then you have to ask yourself, "do I really need two six-string, semi-hollow, fretless, active, spalted-maple-topped, extended-scale bass guitars, just because one has soapbars?" Wink  I guess that's up to you and God to decide. The important thing is that we use our talents and whatever instrument(s) we're blessed with to bring honour to our Father, who every good gift comes from.
rfclef
Bassist Ordinaire

What doesn't kill you will learn from its errors..

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2010, 10:12:58 PM »

Had 5...  all short scales.  An Epiphone viola (my first bass, and I loved the sound), an Applause acoustic/electric, a ZZ Ryder low rider, an Epi EB-0 that I modified heavily...  When I got my Birdsong Cortobass, I found I loved the feel and sound so much that any time I played any others (including my beloved Epi Viola) I could only think "I wish I had my Birdsong".  So I sold all but the Birdsong and the EB-0 as a backup and to play at ballgames with my kids at school.  And when I can afford to get another Birdsong, I'll ditch the EB-0 and be happy...  I get any sound I want or need outta the Birdsong, but I think it is always wise to have a backup... 

Ok...  I thought:  If my Birdsong is out of service or in shop, etc, I would feel ridiculous playing the viking EB-0 at church, so picked up a fantastic little Rondo SX shorty jazz for $99 SHIPPED from someone on this very forum... so back up to three...

And i am having extreme seller's remorse for the Applause AE40....  (I want another.  ANyone got one?)

Bobby
My other Bass is a Tuba...
Bassist for "Cry of Stones"
www.myspace.com/cryofstones

Basses do not "gently weep"... they will rattle the walls, lay the foundation, soothe the body and the mind, or bellow in fury as they strike you down with a bat'leth, but they do not "gently weep"...
mishicoco

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »

I have multiple basses, 5 in fact.

There was a time that for several years (93-2003) that I only owned 2 basses, my five string electric which is a  Peavey TL-Five and my acoustic bass guitar (ABG).
Then I got a fretless bass, my wife then gave me a Les Paul bass for my birthday. A year or so later after showing up at a couple gigs and being quizzed as to why I didn't just bring my P Bass.. I bought my first P (I had J's, several of them, through the years).
For about an 18 month stretch, I pretty much played the P exclusively. Then, sometime around Christmas, just a few months ago, the music selections our worship leader kept selecting went into extended bass range. I've been on the TL-Five again.

I've just about come to the conclusion that having some variety is almost a necessity. However, If I could only keep one - it'd be the five string electric.

Thoughts?
rfclef
Bassist Ordinaire

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 11:24:48 PM »

Ok...  I thought:  If my Birdsong is out of service or in shop, etc, I would feel ridiculous playing the viking EB-0 at church, so picked up a fantastic little Rondo SX shorty jazz for $99 SHIPPED from someone on this very forum... so back up to three...
un
And i am having extreme seller's remorse for the Applause AE40....  (I want another.  ANyone got one?)
[/quote]

OK... Back up to 4:
Birdsong Corto
goofy Viking EB-0
SX shorty Jazz
AND:  found an Acoustic/Electric on Craigslist... Daisy Rock short scale acoustic.  Yeah, it's pink.  But sounds good, a little smaller body than the AE-40...  $90 or so.  I like.

Bobby

Basses do not "gently weep"... they will rattle the walls, lay the foundation, soothe the body and the mind, or bellow in fury as they strike you down with a bat'leth, but they do not "gently weep"...
oldrookie

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2011, 09:56:01 PM »

Really want pictures of you playing the pink acoustic, Bobby.
1954bassman

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 09:00:40 PM »

Dave, did you sell your Lakey?

Bass with Grace
Breitling

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2011, 04:01:01 AM »

A good while on from my first post in this thread and I thought I'd update. I'm still a multi-bass guy but I've gravitated my collection towards one dominant make, ACG. I have six ACGs with two more being built.

I also have a Lakland Bob Glaub, a Status Electro Mk1, A KSD '60s jazz, a Schecter Stiletto and a Ric 4003BB but these are slowly in the process of being sold. Just recently I sold on my Warwick Fortress One and my Roscoe SKB3005, both were sold to friends so I retain "visitation rights".  Smiley

Here are some pics of my ACGs. I think they're amongst the finest custom basses being built today. Despite them being extremely handsome they also work in the real world. Superb instruments.

My latest, prototype ACG Tefano shortscale.

ACG Finn 4

Prototype ACG Graft H5

ACG Graft F4

ACG Recurve 4

Finally, ACG Skelf 5

ACG Finn4; ACG Skelf 5; ACG Recurve 4; ACG Graft H5; Roscoe SKB3005; Schecter Stiletto Studio 4 fretless; Ric 4003BB; Warwick Fortress 1; Status Electro Mk1; Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub; KSD Proto-J with EBS preamp.  Lots of gear; One God.
rfclef
Bassist Ordinaire

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2011, 10:39:08 AM »

Really want pictures of you playing the pink acoustic, Bobby.

No pics of me playing it yet, but there are pics here of the bass itself... ( I can't figgger out how to post a pic here)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/manage/updates.php?id=86482163730&sent=1&e=0#!/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1090499586550.15483.1348301985

Bobby

DAGRev

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2011, 05:17:53 PM »

Here's a list of what I own.  Obviously there's more there than a person can justify, but I got almost all of them at really good prices and a few were gifts.  The 55 Pbass and 64 T-bird I've had for 25 years.  Each one has it's own sound and feel and like was mentioned on page one--I just like seeing them, playing them and hearing them.

1955 Precision (TI flats)
1964 Precision  (TI flats)
1964 Gibson Thunderbird
2005 Precision (MIA)  (TI flats) I think my favorite sounding bass.
2006 Jazz (MIA) (LaBella Flats)
2000 Fender Hot Rod Precision (w/the cool Sunset Orange!)  (TI flats)  Maybe the next best sounding.
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
2007 Rickenbacker 4003
2007 MusicMan StingRay
2007 MusicMan StingRay 5
2008 G&L L2000 Redburst with natural binding
2004 G&L L2000
2007 G&L BABP LE L2000 (only 23 made)

Worship is never about us--ever--it's about God.  Period.  If ever we get this mixed up it's anything but worship.
spiritbass

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2011, 09:18:26 AM »

More changes to the worship tool lineup... I bought a 2010 Ric 4003. Always liked the design and available tones. Had to ditch the pickup cover before I could play it. It simply has its own unique 'vibe'. I had been checking out some Fenderbirds from a Floridian luthier. Then I found out he talked his friend into reverse engineering some original Thunderbird pickups. I seriously thought I was done buying basses, but I sent him a deposit a couple of weeks ago...

Ken

Those who have seen the light can walk in the dark.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: