Worship Bass
November 18, 2017, 04:19:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If grooving isn't an option, then what? My thoughts.  (Read 2399 times)
Mr.Ed

« on: April 19, 2010, 05:23:03 PM »

I saw an older thread here about how grooving just didn't work for most CC music. I started in classical music, then went on to rock, country and other secular genres and would have to agree.  Most Christian contemporary , unfortunately, seems to favor a classic rock or country "boom on the chord change" mentality.  To maintain my sanity(and flesh out the sound for the smaller music minstries I have been led to), I employ these:
1.Double and triple stops.
2.Fingerpicked chords, on slower ballady stuff.
3.Synchopated droning an octave lower to simulate the drummer we don't have Smiley
4.Smooth, moving parts between chord changes.
5. Effects(gently). Recently the guitarist joked that I should do a solo during a chorus of "Days of Elijah", so I worked up a nice one with some fairly strong distrortion, based on the old hymn(1850s?) "At the Cross" - the older people loved it!\
6. Coursed basses - 10 string(double course 5 stringer), 12 string(4 string, triple coursed). Good for fleshing it all out if you have guitarists of limited ability and no keyboardist.

Sometimes you will just have to save your fancier work for at home it seems - I have this smoking  bass part for "Lord I Lift Your Name On Hgih", but I am imagining something that makes the secular song "Rhythm of the Night" seem slow, so the only one time have I been able to play it when I had a drummer and a smoking hot piano player. Sad

Shame so many older musicians don't figure out that when they quit trying to conqure the world, they can put their skills to work raising up the Lord - thank God I did.

Practice is what you do by yourself, rehearsal is what you do with others who have practiced.  Never confuse the two and things will go much smoother.
chrisfbass

Fivers and Worship Just Go Together!

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 06:17:33 AM »

Shame so many older musicians don't figure out that when they quit trying to conqure the world, they can put their skills to work raising up the Lord - thank God I did.

Amen to that! It's great to bring a lifetime of experience to the worship stage. It was by music that led me to Christ.  

Naturally a lot of worship teams have people who are Christian before bringing their musicianship to the frontline. Nothing wrong with that - but I just love the worship when we have a top flight group of muso's on stage. It's so exuberant and uplifting!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:38:23 AM by chrisfbass » Logged

Chris
Eddy

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 07:07:13 AM »

Great post Mr Ed.

I use several of those techniques as well, depending on the song and instrumentation. More and more we are adding folk/instruments so I end up scaling back.

When it's minimal players, it'd great to have those tools at your disposal.

Nashville, like L.A. without a tan!
dieselbass

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 04:21:15 PM »

I'm actually on the other side of the coin.  Leader is asking me for more so am working on incorporating more things.  I worry about missing a one though and stalling the group this disrupting the flow.   Walking some changes and some pentatonics are working their way in.  Nice to play with good musicians who force me to improve.  Better to play with Christians who force me to improve in several areas of my life.  blessed in so many ways.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: