Worship Bass
November 22, 2017, 10:31:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mic'd a cabinet for this week, instead of DI  (Read 3436 times)
Eddy

« on: June 16, 2010, 07:32:56 AM »

Most of the time, I run my pedalboard DI'd to the PA and monitor with IEMs.
A couple weeks ago, the subwoofer in our PA went out. The worship leader had been complaining about not hearing the bass properly onstage (he uses wedges instead of the IEM).

So as a compromise, this week we decided that I would run a rig on stage at a low volume, just enough to give the worship leader a little low end presence on stage. The rig was mic'd for FOH and I monitored the mic/line in my IEM as normal.

Here's a cameraphone shot of the halfstack rig I used:

If you're keeping score:
The signal path is: bass to pedals. I use a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal is the primary, always on, tone generator.
That goes into channel 1 on a M-Audio preamp, line out to input on the YAMAHA poweramp (800watts bridged mono into 8ohms).
2-10's cabinet.

I mic'd the cabinet with an AKG C1000s, sent the signal to the second channel on the M-Audio preamp, lined that into my DI for the FOH and IEM's.

The mic'd cabinet sounded really, really good in the IEM.

Nashville, like L.A. without a tan!
fretlessguy

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 12:07:39 PM »

Excellent. I wound up having to do the same thing. I brought my Nemesis combo up and miced it to run into the system. I can hear it clearly now as well as the rest of us on stage, but the audience hears it thru the system. I might run a direct line out from the amp as well and let the sound tech mix the two.

Doug

...and as you sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. Colossians 3:16B
rfclef
Bassist Ordinaire

What doesn't kill you will learn from its errors..

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 03:52:14 PM »

At church, I use my Ashdown EB 180-15" combo DI'd into the house...  I don't know a lot about amps, but I can control the volume outta the speaker independant of the level going to the house...

Bobby
My other Bass is a Tuba...
Bassist for "Cry of Stones"
www.myspace.com/cryofstones

Basses do not "gently weep"... they will rattle the walls, lay the foundation, soothe the body and the mind, or bellow in fury as they strike you down with a bat'leth, but they do not "gently weep"...
Eddy

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 06:58:53 AM »

At church, I use my Ashdown EB 180-15" combo DI'd into the house...  I don't know a lot about amps, but I can control the volume outta the speaker independant of the level going to the house...

I can still do that. I use a two channel preamp, one send the bass/pedals to the amplifier the other channel sends the mic to the house system.
Of course, if I turn up the stage volume, I have to roll off the mic a smidgeon or just let the sound guy pull it back on the FOH fader.

--------------

I used the same amp/rig this week as last week with two exceptions.
Instead of using the AKG C1000s, I used a modified Shure SM57

[the light grey one shown beside a standard SM57 in the photo below]

The modified SM57 has a flatter frequency curve and extended low end, achieved by simply removing the transformer (ala the Terry Manning modification from TapeOp Mag). It drops the output about 6-10db, so it needs a pretty good preamp.
The other change was instead of using my P-Bass I used an Epiphone Les Paul.
It's rare that anyone says anything about the tone of a bass. I had three people stop by to say the bass "sounded really good this morning.."

Eddy

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 06:23:14 AM »

There's been some further development in the onstage rig.

I finally racked it all up. This really helps with set-up as the cables are all connected up inside the rack.

I'm still trying out various mics. So far, everything I've tried works really well. The AKG CS1000s, the modifies 57 and this Groove Tube 5SM large condensor.
The 57 is the simplest. Both the AKG and the GT require phantom power. All can get the job done.

I've also started turning the cabinet vertical. I can hear it better that way, I can't really tell a difference otherwise.

Eddy

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 06:56:48 AM »

After running the previous set-up several weeks, I'm back to the DI.

It's just too cumbersome to schlep all that gear when this works just as well:

Don't get me wrong. The other amp has a lot more gusto and the VT bass pedal RAWKS through that rig. However, I'm running really low volume, the 30watt Fender is only up to about a "2 (out of 10)".
The MXR M80 has a distortion channel and I can get as much grit as I need on the rock tunes and it sounds exceptionally well running clean.

1954bassman

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 03:46:42 PM »

I have one of those little Fenders. Great little amp actually.

Bass with Grace
Eddy

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 08:06:49 AM »

I have one of those little Fenders. Great little amp actually.

Agree. It wouldn't carry the room for a 'rock' band but as a monitor with PA support, I wouldn't be afraid to use it anywhere. It's perfect for low stage volume environments like a church.

DAGRev

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 04:52:14 PM »

It doesn't surprise me that people liked the mic'd tone.  Something gets lost via DI as far as I'm concerned.  I like the idea because I am rarely impressed with the sound of my basses using the DI out of my Ampeg Pro3 (or any DI I've used for that matter, including a Sansamp).  I've thought of going back to the way things were done in the good old days to see if I like the tone better.

Worship is never about us--ever--it's about God.  Period.  If ever we get this mixed up it's anything but worship.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: