Worship Bass
September 24, 2017, 10:34:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Next Level  (Read 4104 times)
Child of God

« on: July 23, 2010, 02:07:49 PM »

For a while now, I have been noticing that our worship team has some definite talent.  Its not always consistent though.  A couple weeks ago the worship leader spoke of "going to the next level."  I know he was talking both spiritually and musically from conversations with him.  One of his ideas to start moving there was starting a "Praise Team Life Group."  I thought it was an outstanding idea.  It never happened though.  Seems everyone is to busy and doesn't have time.  While I have taken on the task of keeping the team informed of songs/times/spiritual food througout the week, I am not the WL.  (I don't think they'd want me to be either!  I'd be to ummmm ... demanding?)  Anyway, at this point, I feel like we are kinda stalled.

Any of you guys have some ideas or suggestions I might bring up to our WL to help us "move to the next level?"

Carl

Whom have I in heaven but You?  And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm 73: 25&26 (NKJV)
2bhumble (Dave)
Jamming For Jesus
Global Moderator

Saved by Grace

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 06:42:13 PM »

Carl, it is sad to say but my past experience's with praise and worship bands is that most, if not all of the members claim they don't have the time to practice as to take it to the next level as you call it. However in many case's it is probably true with there families and jobs.

I would take the time each week to really get familar with each song to the point I didnt need sheet music in front of me most of the time. I was always at practice and set up ready to go on time. I always did my best to do my best and stay fully committed even if most of the others were not. I would ask myself questions like, why should I practice these songs when no one else does? Why should I care would no one else does? Why do I bust my hump to get here on time when I know we are going to start late? I was always turning to God with why, why, why.

Actually this band wasnt all that bad but I wanted that next level just as you do and I just didn't see the members of this band ever making that committment. Finally in God's own time He delivered me and gave me the opportunity to be part of a next level praise and worship band.

So don't let the others discourage your passion to reach that next level. Pray on it and when the time is right God will place you with the musicians that want to reach that next level just like you.

Now I only play as a fill in bassist, and that is when the regular bassist cant make it but this prasie and worship band strives for that next level. Everyone shows up for rehearsal on time and prepared and what a difference it makes.

So just hang in there Carl, Pray, and let God do His work.  Grin

Dave

No Jesus--No Peace
Know Jesus--Know Peace

Satan doesn't really care if you are a Christian,
as long as you don't act like one.
chrisfbass

Fivers and Worship Just Go Together!

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 02:14:18 AM »

Yes I know the feeling. Our team seems to be going through a "down" time. Several members have moved out the area leaving very large gaps in the vocal department. We have also lost a great drummer who has moved awy. A second drummer is on a sabbatical, a third - on his boat!.We sadly lost a great guitarist who has lost his way on the walk with God, and another who has moved churches. Biggest loss was two fantastic WLS. One has taken up a full time ministry as a WL in Bristol (UK) and the other has moved to Texas from little old UK.

General rehearsals see only 50% of musos turning up, however all the vocal band are ok. Most rehearsals seem to be a quick 30 minutes before the service - not good.

However God is good and He knows we will bounce back. I must not hark back to the "good old days" of a pool of 35 musos sadly now down to only about 12.

I know that lots of churches would love to have "only 12" - so life goes in cycles. I wait on the next new level up!

Chris

Chris
Child of God

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 06:00:18 AM »

Thanks Dave and Chris! 
I do pray ... surely it is God's will that we continue to worship Him and lead others in the same endeavor.  I have already "got over it" so to speak and realize that not everyone has the time & committment that I have.  I continue to put in the effort to help make things the best they can be.  Rehearsing, getting there hours before the rest to set-up/warm-up, and get some personal time in with the Lord.  Its just a little frustrating to know that with a little motivation by all, we could be doing better.

One of the goals of the team is to bring others up (mentor & train).  I am hoping to get another bass player (or maybe even two!) and perhaps I can start doing sound ... or even just work on the administration part of the worship ministry as a primary focus.  Continued prayer is in order.  Smiley

God Bless you & keep you both!

Carl

Whom have I in heaven but You?  And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
mainsail

Melt me, Mold me, fill me, Use me.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 09:06:39 AM »

This situation is one that has been a thorn for me periodically since I started with the praise team in my present church in 1992.  Our Contemporary service began about 8 months before I joined. And I'm the only original member of the WT.

I've been in your position many times   Carl and the main thing that has kept me going is a lot of prayer and Who I play for and why.  God must have my focus first.

Our WL is a very gifted musician and vocalist and teaches voice and other music classes. She plays keyboard and violin and has a marvelous singing voice. She and I are the most experienced in the group by far and I have the most time to spend with the material.

The others do have families and jobs to be concerned with but some just don't take or make the time to prepare themselves appropriately spiritually or musically. A serious frustration for me.

After all that, this is the best WT the church has had since I've been there. 
Our fearless leader is quite aware some of our problems but since we're all volunteers, it's a sticky wicket. For the guitar player, music is just one of a hundred things he does and he likes to "wing it"   whenever he can.  Fortunately, the WL doesn't stand for that.

Hang in there. My prayers are with you.

God never promised us second best.
Larry
1954bassman

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 12:26:50 PM »

commitment? Most churches are getting what they pay for in the musician commitment category.  Smiley

Bass with Grace
Child of God

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 05:04:34 AM »

Mainsail -
Thanks.  He is all the reason.  And you're right.  I need to keep that at the front.

Bassman -
I suppose that's true too.  But there is profit in giving praise!   Grin

Carl

QuintrKD

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 10:00:48 AM »

I've struggled with this issue as well.  I've been sensing a calling to take things to the next level, as well as to broaden my expression of worship through developing an ability to sing background vocals .  However, I recently learned through group discussions with the Praise Team at my home church that I was the only one really serious about doing this.  Everyone else simply didn't have the desire or time to do so, and the opportunities to sing background vocals didn't surface.   We eventually agreed that I'd look for other musicians to team up with outside the church to pursue what we agreed was a unique calling.

Now I'm teamed up with another musician from another church in a separate ministry, and get many opportunities to play a wider variety of styles/genres and I get many opportunities to sing background vocals and run a drum machine.  We play worship and special events at a few local churches within his parish, a few nursing homes, and occasional secular events.  I don't routinely play at my home church any more, but continue to play upon request (for special events and when they're short-handed).  It's a little awkward telling people that my calling is no longer there, but I'm specifically serving the Lord and His Kingdom... not specifically one church.

In summary, if you find that your attitude differs significantly from the rest of the worship team with regard to taking things to the next level, consider that maybe you're sensing a calling to serve beyond the walls of your own church.
Child of God

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 11:45:02 AM »

QuintrKD,

I consindered "moving" a little bit ... but I don't beleive that the time has come for me to do that yet.  Perhaps sometime in the future I'll be lead somewhere else.  The other part of "moving" is that I do not like to leave something in a worse way than when I got there.  You know, always leave things better than when you found them.  If I ever do decide to "move" I'll be sure leave them with a bass/keyboard player.  Certainly, God's children, assembled togther to praise God deserve nothing less!  Although I might be able to help out another team on the side if the calling came.  Hmmmm ....

Carl

QuintrKD

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 09:44:53 AM »

Touche'... I do have regrets that we couldn't work things out.  For a while, I had good intentions of playing at both my own church and in the other venues, but I continued to get frustrated on a routine basis and was so low in the mix that I really didn't feel like I was contributing much anyway.  In my instance, I think that staying on the Praise Team at my own church would have just made things worse.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:02:12 AM by QuintrKD » Logged
imacman9

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 08:47:14 PM »

Yeah....it seems that way in my worship team as well. About half of the team is okay at where we are at, and the other half wants to step it up to the next level, so we have an extra practice night for the people on worship team who want to step it up and be more creative with our worship sound and style. 
Child of God

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 06:09:44 AM »

Imacman,

You know, that's not a bad idea either.  I'll bring it up with our WL after he gets back from a mission trip to the Philippines and Thailand.  I'm not so sure it will work - I may be the only one willing to do it - but gotta let the leaders know when you have an idea and let them make the decisions.  Afterall, God put them there for a reason!

Carl

imacman9

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 07:45:26 PM »

Imacman,

You know, that's not a bad idea either.  I'll bring it up with our WL after he gets back from a mission trip to the Philippines and Thailand.  I'm not so sure it will work - I may be the only one willing to do it - but gotta let the leaders know when you have an idea and let them make the decisions.  Afterall, God put them there for a reason!

Carl

Thanks! I mean when you really think about it...why would anyone be satisfied with their current worship experience - I mean don't we want to give him all that we have? Play to the best of our ability and be creative with our expression to him! Well Carl I wish you the best, and as long as we have a hungry heart towards him and the new fresh things he wants to do in our lives, then we are headed in the right direction, whatever that might "sound" like.

Daniel
Child of God

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 06:51:26 AM »

Thanks Daniel!  That's a great way of putting it!

Carl

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: