Worship Bass
September 23, 2017, 10:05:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Which strings do you use?  (Read 11203 times)
Rob_U

« on: December 05, 2007, 10:29:51 PM »

I was just posting a different questions on strings, and thought this might stir up some discussion.

What:
        1. type of string (round, flat, ground, compressed, or whatever)
        2. metal (Nickel, Stainless, or other)
        3. brand, and model

I'll start. I use GHS ML3075 Brite Flats (ground- roundwound), medium light, they are a nickel/iron alloy.

I like to slide into notes (sometimes), so I like the smoother string. I used to use D'addario Chrome Flats, but they were to mellow and stiff for me. I used the D'addiaro Half rounds for a while (when they were stainless), but I like the punch of the Brite FLats better. Most round wounds are to bright for me.

Jong Lee
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 11:31:49 PM »

On my P-Bass, TI Jazz Flats. IMO, P-Basses with roundwounds are blasphemy.

On my Lakland 4-94, I have DR Black Beauties (mainly for visual effect). They sound good, and look cool against the birdseye maple board. On all my other basses, I have DR High Beams (steel, 105-45).
2bhumble (Dave)
Jamming For Jesus
Global Moderator

Saved by Grace

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 11:35:28 PM »

On my J bass I like to use Elixir .045 roundwound and Roto-Sound .045 roundwound on my P-bass.
Right now I have a set of Hartke nickel wound .045 on my J bass. Larry Hartke sent me a couple pair of them along with a really nice tuner to try out and tell him how I liked them. Larry is a good guy and he called me telling me about a new line of amps he has coming out. Actually by now they should be out. I would be happy to tell him how I like the new amps if he would send me one of those for free. Grin
 The tuner he sent to me is great and the strings sound really good at first but the first set I have had on about 2 to 3 months and they are getting flat already. The Elixir strings last about a year and I play quite a bit.

No Jesus--No Peace
Know Jesus--Know Peace

Satan doesn't really care if you are a Christian,
as long as you don't act like one.
Manbass

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 08:56:25 AM »

S.I.T. Powerwounds.  Chrome Flats.  Sadowsky LS Rounds.

LeCompte Catholic Thunder Bassist
rfclef
Bassist Ordinaire

What doesn't kill you will learn from its errors..

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 10:01:22 AM »

On my Epiphone Viola (Beatle-style) bass - TI Flats.  WHat a GREAT sound!
On my cheapo chinese ZZ Ryder - just got Daddario nickel rounds on it .50-.110 I think...  much bigger gauge than previously and I am trying to get used to it...

Bobby
My other Bass is a Tuba...
Bassist for "Cry of Stones"
www.myspace.com/cryofstones

Basses do not "gently weep"... they will rattle the walls, lay the foundation, soothe the body and the mind, or bellow in fury as they strike you down with a bat'leth, but they do not "gently weep"...
dano

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 03:56:25 PM »

I tend to like DR Lo-Rider Stainless Steel (45-105) over most strings, however I am thinking of going with flats on my precision so I may go back to Chromes or LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats. Also up for consideration are Lakland JO Flats. I had them on an old precision and boy did they have tone! They are just rather difficult to get around here...
Mick D

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 09:45:36 AM »

I've been using the Everly B-52 Bass Rockers on my main fretted bass.
Most "nickel" strings are just nickel plated steel but these are actually a 52% nickel alloy string.
The sound is a little warmer than NPS strings and I really like the feel.
The other cool thing I like about them is that they make a 5-string set with a .135" B-string. Talk about big bottom.......

I like the D'Addario Chromes for my Lightwave fretless and my 5-string electric upright.

I have D'Addario XL's on my Variax and my Masters Design. They have a great tone center that works well with the Variax tracking and a little more bite for the MD which is just a funk machine.

I've been experimenting with the D'Addario Helicores on my upright and have a set of LaBella black tapewounds on my 4-string electric upright.

I like the Cleartone strings for my acoustic guitars and either the Everly B-52's or D'Addario Xl's for my electrics depending on the guitar and the gig.

God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called
electraglide

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 11:04:32 PM »

I really like LaBella tapewounds. I have them on my fretted and fretless. They are smooth and very warm sounding.
I just picked up an old Ibanez TR200 on ebay and for a complete change of pace I put a set of Knucklehead Doublewides on it. They are real heavy gauge nickle roundwounds (50-70-90-110). They put out a totally massive, punchy, thick tone!

"HE alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will never be shaken" Ps. 62:2
Rob_U

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 12:40:47 PM »

Since originally posting this thread, I have completely changed which strings I use! Now that I have gotten my MIM Jazz bass, I tried a few different sets on it. I decided to try some roundwounds, so I tried the Fender Original Pure Nickel, but still too bright. I tried my old standby, the GHS Brite Flats, but the growl disappeared. Then I noticed that D'addario had changed the 1/2 Rounds from Stainless, to Nickel, so I tried a set, and they are perfect! Plenty of growl, just enough twang on the bridge (with the tone down of course), and still plenty of bottom end.
On my Ibanez SR500 I could never get enough low-end punch, and it always seemed too bright, so I always turned the active treble down, and the bass up, and it was still murky. So I gave into it's personality, and installed a set of GHS Precision Flats, and neutralized the active EQ, and it sounds very jazzy, acoustic and cool!

Kind of ironic that the one that has Jazz Bass printed on it is better for Rock/Pop/Contemporary, and the (semi) pointy Ibanez, is the mellower bass for Jazz/Contemporary.

Brim

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 09:41:26 PM »

What:
        1. type of string (round, flat, ground, compressed, or whatever)
        2. metal (Nickel, Stainless, or other)
        3. brand, and model

1. Rounds, always. I tried half-rounds for 5 minutes and hated them. I tried flatwounds for a few days and my fingers seemed to "stick". I'm a round wound guy definitely, even on fretless.
2. Stainless on my Dingwall, Nickel on my EBMM Stingray5
3. Dingwall Voodoo strings (medium light gauage) on the Dingwall, DR Lowriders Nickel on the SR5

living in grace

/// Interested in a TRex FT Jr. modded PT Mini pedal board? I can build it for you! ///
tony c
I drive the bus ...

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 05:59:45 PM »

For years, I used GHS Bass Boomers on my Rick 4001.  I used them on my cheapo SX bass, also.  Then I tried Elixir bass strings and I hated them.  WAYYYYYY too bright, at least for my SX.  Too bad, since I use Elixir Nanoweb on my Taylor acoustic, and just LOVE them.  And since I just got my Carvin LB76 a short while ago, I haven't as of yet changed those strings. 

Any suggestions on a not too bright set of 6ers?  Like Rob, I prefer smoother strings.

Thanks,

tony c

www.myspace.com/beggarsandprophets

Carvin LB76
SX "Vintage" PJ
Eden CXC110
Eden D112XLT
1954bassman

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 10:03:14 AM »

My current choices:

G&L L2500 fretless - TI Jazz Flats
G&L L2500 - DR Low Riders (usually Elixirs)
G&L L5500 - DR Hi beams
Lakland 5502 Fretless - Lakland Nickel Rounds

I am not liking the Low Riders, I just put them on about one month ago, and they are just too zingy so far. I have an additional brand new set I would sell for $25 shipped - if anybody wants them. Medium gauge, long scale Stainless Steel round wounds. A high tension, bright string.

I really like the tone of the TI's, but the loose tension took adjustments in my playing.

Mark

Bass with Grace
oyobass

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 10:44:57 PM »

Almost always roundwounds, either DR HiBeams or Ernie Ball Slinky. I got a set of Thomastic flats once, and dug the retro sound, but it didn't fit the music I play as well as the rounds do.
Rob_U

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 10:25:59 PM »

The GHS Brite Flats (their spelling) are the same as the 1/2 Rounds (ground round wound), but a little smoother. They are not quite as bright as the 1/2 Rounds, and they are a nickel iron alloy. I'm not sure about the tension thing though, although they seem to fret easier on my Ibanez, than the 1/2 Rounds do on my Jazz (I don't know if that's a fair comparison) - you might want to check the websites for tension of both sets.

basseddie

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 12:56:53 AM »

I have kind of settled in on D'addario  EXL-220-5s, .040 to .125.  on both my fretted and fretless,  I like the light tension and sound from them, but they are kind of noisy...
I have a 8 year old set of TI flats that I put on eigher bass when the mood strikes.....I dont think I will ever throw the TI's away, they seem to keep getting better with age.. Smiley

ed

VIII. “Those who figure they will play bass because it has two fewer strings than a guitar and is therefore easier to learn should probably just hold cases that hold guitars and basses.”

A mediocre musician is always at their best....

23rd Psalms...
The Lord is my Sheppard, I shall not want..
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: