Worship Bass
September 19, 2017, 04:44:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Worship Bass

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello From Hazelton  (Read 2034 times)
us4given

« on: December 06, 2010, 03:00:45 PM »

Hello my family in Christ. Well after 23 years playing guitar I started attending Emmanuel Bible Chapel in Hazelton PA and they needed a bass player so I filled the spot. Let me tell you I sure picked the wrong instrument to learn 23 years ago. I am enjoying the bass so much and God has blessed me with a smooth transaction. After only four weeks at playing bass the team is impressed each week. I am so excited to be using the talent God has given me for him some times I get carried away with playing that I find myself doing to much instead of just hitting simple bass backbone notes. So please if you have any tips or suggestions on how I should be playing bass with my worship team do share.
mainsail

Melt me, Mold me, fill me, Use me.

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:13:32 PM »

Welcome aboard us4given. And congrats on finally coming to the bass.

I play guitar also but started with the bass and the guitar enhanced my playing along the way.

My suggestion   would be to stick to root notes and color your patterns from there without trying to do too much.  A lot of guitarists who transition to bass have a tendency to fill in holes unnecessarily.
If you have the opportunity to listen to recordings of the material you are working with, that should give you a bit of a road map.

You've made a great choice.  Stick to it!

God never promised us second best.
Larry
Eddy

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 05:12:37 AM »

Welcome!

A whole note fills holes.

Nashville, like L.A. without a tan!
mainsail

Melt me, Mold me, fill me, Use me.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 08:54:59 AM »

Welcome!

Amen.

God never promised us second best.
Larry
2bhumble (Dave)
Jamming For Jesus
Global Moderator

Saved by Grace

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 11:50:52 AM »

Hello and welcome to Worship Bass.

Dave

No Jesus--No Peace
Know Jesus--Know Peace

Satan doesn't really care if you are a Christian,
as long as you don't act like one.
Child of God

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 01:44:42 PM »

Welcome fellow bassist! 

I've always gone with the idea that any musician must define their role in whatever ensamble they are part of.  I tend to enjoy playing a supporting role ... creating a rythmn or feel while building a foundation ... and, when called for, to steer the other musicians to a different place.  But that's just me and my part in this P&W team. 

Joe Jackson did a whole album years ago with an idea "What if the bass had the lead?"  It worked ... but of course all the other musicians had to find a modified role on their instruments.

Just always keep in mind (as I often have been reminded here) the reason why you are playing in a church!   Wink

Again, welcome and God's favor!

Carl

Whom have I in heaven but You?  And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm 73: 25&26 (NKJV)
Child of God

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 01:45:58 PM »

Welcome!

+1  ... that's a good one Eddy!  I like it!

Carl

Whom have I in heaven but You?  And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm 73: 25&26 (NKJV)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: